Classless act or good strategy??

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:01 pm

Nag,

I do agree with one point you made, it shouldn't matter whether it is $1200 or 12cents. You're right, it doesn't. I am going to try to win either way.

But this is not unsportmanlike in the least. The guy that spends less early leaves himself more options later. One of those options is to stop you from getting players to beat him.

This is not unprecedented in pro sports, in fact it is part of the managerial landscape ... look at the MLB waiver process after the trade deadline. Many teams put in waiver claims on players, not because they want those players, but because they want to block divisional opponents from improving their team with post-deadline deals.

That aside, I don't blame you for not liking it - but if it happened to me I'd be mad at myself more than my opponent.

FatPerez

Post by FatPerez » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:16 pm

Nag and Renman, I pray to the Fantasy Football Gods that you and any other saltshakers out there who share your opinion on this matter, are in our league next year. We will wholeheartedly enjoy picking the meat from your bones on a weekly basis. Exactly how does compassion towards one's friends and family, or loyalty to our country tie into the fact that you got outbid for a QB?!?!? Listen, Pinchi Brian and I explore every possible scenario with our roster, even looking more than a week ahead, fully expecting the other teams in our league to attempt to "c**kblock" us. That's just the way it is, you don't have to like it. This is not K-Divison Soccer, EVERYONE who plays will not receive a warm and fuzzy little trophy. Sorry guys, it just bees like that sometimes. Expect no quarter, give no quarter.
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."- Conan the Cimmerian

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:33 am

Originally posted by Nag':
Dyv, I know I'm changing the subject, but aren't you the dude that was screamin' in preseason how NFFC's rules would finally put an end to the RB/RB strategy. How's that theory been working out? No and I have no clue as I drafted RB/RB

Dyv

p.s. Thanks for proving my point about being intolerant of opinions you asked for ;)
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:34 am

Originally posted by FatPerez:
Nag and Renman, I pray to the Fantasy Football Gods that you and any other saltshakers out there who share your opinion on this matter, are in our league next year. We will wholeheartedly enjoy picking the meat from your bones on a weekly basis. Exactly how does compassion towards one's friends and family, or loyalty to our country tie into the fact that you got outbid for a QB?!?!? Listen, Pinchi Brian and I explore every possible scenario with our roster, even looking more than a week ahead, fully expecting the other teams in our league to attempt to "c**kblock" us. That's just the way it is, you don't have to like it. This is not K-Divison Soccer, EVERYONE who plays will not receive a warm and fuzzy little trophy. Sorry guys, it just bees like that sometimes. Expect no quarter, give no quarter. Dude - we should all get warm and fuzzy trophies... great idea!

Dyv
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:06 am

Originally posted by Liquid Empire:
Jersey Paul -

I have brilliantly given you Brad Hoover for $3 to help aid your team to defeat Pocket Aces for the Week #10 showdown.

Your welcome! Hmmmm.... do I smell collusion?? :eek:

renman

Post by renman » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:59 am

the fact someone describes what happened as "hey, dude, you got PLAYED" is all one needs see to see that this is not "sporting", but being "played"... you can be "competitive" without needing to "play" someone to win... there is no rule saying that to be considered an owner who is playing hard and playing to win you have to pull something like this. like many things in life.. and our sporting world.. i guess the fantasy sports world mirrors where our culture is and society is headed...lol

kjduke...

i have enjoyed your post in the past... and i was wondering who would be the first smart person to bring up how baseball has "blocking" with their waiver wire process... the difference is that in baseball this does not preclude you from getting another player... in fantasy football, a much more controlled environment, this "blocking move" was designed to stymie another team so they have no chance to play any player period... i find that to be outside the "spirit" of a game that is supposed to be about fielding the best team and not "playing" other teams through loopholes in rules...

fatperez...

i never said that nag did not make a mistake managing his roster.. i do not think he is saying that either and i do not see how my having this position makes you think i am "easy pickins" in future events... what i am saying is that picking up all the available QB's, even if you do not need them, just to force a team you are playing to have NO QB is outside the spirit of the game in my book... maybe i live in a world where i wish we could have more sportsmanship and class in our competitive endeavors... maybe i am a little oldschool and like a little honor in my game... maybe i get sick of taunting in sports and endzone dances and the way we feel the need to "diss" others on the field and on a message board...

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:24 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by Liquid Empire:
Jersey Paul -

I have brilliantly given you Brad Hoover for $3 to help aid your team to defeat Pocket Aces for the Week #10 showdown.

[/QUOTE]No,,,,you smell what Jersey Paul is cookin' today as his team will take you down to the mat and rock you like a hurricane! (Scorps reference)

JP...turn up the heat...it's time to make the doughnuts.

Can you feel me, sucka ? :D
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:37 am

Renman,

There isn't any loopholes. If you have no money, you get no players. I run a league that has 16 teams. An owner is lucky to have two starting QBs, if your QB goes down, you have no chance of getting his backup unless you are way down in the standings. So you need to back them up before. If this was any other position, it probably would have never happen. You could always get someone to get a few points.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:45 am

Originally posted by Liquid Empire:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by Liquid Empire:
Jersey Paul -

[/QUOTE]No,,,,you smell what Jersey Paul is cookin' today as his team will take you down to the mat and rock you like a hurricane! (Scorps reference)

JP...turn up the heat...it's time to make the doughnuts.

Can you feel me, sucka ? :D
[/QUOTE]What you smell is Liquid quietly burning while he plays Richie Anderson and trying to come up with a clever reason why he didn't outbid me for Hoover when I was almost broke.

dgamblnman

Post by dgamblnman » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:57 am

This is really pathethic. I guess according to some people out there, by me drafting 4 starting RBs on draft day was unsportsmanlike, I guess I should have share some with other teams. I also guess me drafting Collins when Gannon went down is classless too since I did not need antoher QB.

It's called roster management, not only yours, but your opponent and the rest of the league. Blocking is very common in all sports. Like it wqs said, it's not that you want a player, youjust don't want someone else to get a player. This is stupid pople complain about blocking, if you have seriously played fantasy sports, it happens all the time. It's a little something I like to call "Trying to win".

Sack up and admit you got played. You made the mistake (just like owners crying that they didn't have enough RBs:) ) and you need to move one. Next time, prepare your roster better.