You go ALABAMA ABANDONED!

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:34 am

Mike, I don't believe anyone thinks what happened during the Buffalo draft back in September was a good thing. However there is a time and a place for everything.

This thread was started as kudos for our current frontrunner. Whether it was meant to or not, Snake's posts here act to diminish what AA accomplished to this point. I think that's unfair and I don't think Snake, Weber, or you would have appreciated if any of you were in that position.

Bring this up during the rules conversation we're sure to have following the season and leave AA out of it. How AA finishes the season has nothing to do with whether what happened in Buffalo should be addressed or not for future drafts. It should be addressed whether he finishes first or last.

Glenn

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:51 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
Mike, I don't believe anyone thinks what happened during the Buffalo draft back in September was a good thing. However there is a time and a place for everything.

This thread was started as kudos for our current frontrunner. Whether it was meant to or not, Snake's posts here act to diminish what AA accomplished to this point. I think that's unfair and I don't think Snake, Weber, or you would have appreciated if any of you were in that position.

Bring this up during the rules conversation we're sure to have following the season and leave AA out of it. How AA finishes the season has nothing to do with whether what happened in Buffalo should be addressed or not for future drafts. It should be addressed whether he finishes first or last.

Glenn All you points are valid. Snake has never had very much tact or stayed on topic well (sorry Snake). I agree it didn't belong on this thread, but neither did the attacks on Snake. If someone had simply argued it was the wrong place to post, I would have (and do) agree.

Side note: Personally, I wouldn't have been offended with this tangent if I was AA (as you stated I might be). It is what it is and no offense would be taken by me ... I can't speak for AA.

BTW ... congrats AA on your week 14. I hope you finish second to the Tomatoes!

UYT

[ December 15, 2010, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Very Ugly Yellow Tomatoes ]
Hakuna Matata!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Originally posted by GK:
...from BOSTON, eh?...THAT league with only 13 owners?...hmmmm...GK Here's my take on this Big Mike, for what it's worth to anyone here who cares. During seven years of running the NFFC I'm totally amazed at how folks here fail to acknowledge good performances and yet constantly rip on each other on everything else. Very rarely do people give credit to those owners who are leading the overall contests or acknowledge what might be some very good talents. I've posted the leaders in all of our contests every week for the last two months and never is there a single post to say "congrats Chad, helluva job." It just doesn't happen here. Too much machismo here to do that. Fantasy football is that way, I guess.

However, in the NFBC, people acknowledge the accomplishments and skills of the top players all the time and have done that for seven years. Competitors often cite Shawn and Steve Jupinka and Mark Srebro and Bob Mazur and many others who consistently win. The winning track record is seen as a positive, not as a negative. However, in the NFFC if Billy is the Lifetime Standings leader and anyone acknowledges it someone has to rip on him for "boasting." If Glenn goes for three straight Classic league titles and talks about it, it's "bragging." If someone is leading two national contests like Chad was on Sunday, nobody says anything because then fantasy football is more luck than skill. It's amazing and frustrating for me as a game operator.

I may be wrong here, but I felt this post by Glenn was totally uncalled for and continued the trend I'm stating above. Michael Cole had to battle to finish third in a very tough Boston league, he made the Championship Round as the 36th seed out of 70 teams and his not-too-loaded roster has the week of its life, scoring 203.9 points. I don't have every single scoring total for each player, but look at his roster here and realize that what he did in Week 14 had to be the most pleasant surprise of the season for this owner.

QB Kevin Kolb PHI 8 --
QB Donovan McNabb WAS 9 --
QB Rusty Smith TEN 9 --
RB Michael Turner ATL 8 --
RB LeSean McCoy PHI 8 --
RB Thomas Jones KC 4 --
WR Roddy White ATL 8 --
WR Terrell Owens CIN 6 --
WR Derrick Mason BAL 8 --
WR Deion Branch NE 5 --
WR Jordan Shipley CIN 6 --
WR Kevin Curtis MIA 5 --
TE Jason Witten DAL 4 --
TE Greg Olsen CHI 8 --
TE Michael Hoomanawanui STL 9 --
K David Akers PHI 8 --
K Shayne Graham NE 5 --
TDSP Baltimore Ravens BAL 8 --
TDSP Dallas Cowboys DAL 4 --

Now, that's not a roster that came from a "stupid" league or one where an owner helped him load up on stars. To be one of the first posts to tarnish Michael's accomplishment seemed like a very cheap shot and spoiled what should have been a glorious accomplishment by Alabama Abandoned. Michael is a very good player, a serious fantasy player as we all know and he had to be on Cloud Nine on Tuesday morning when he saw his team leading the race for $100,000. But of course, the first post is that anything he does in this competition is tainted in the great eyes of GK. Unreal and it made me VERY mad.

Congrats Michael. That was one helluva week from the likes of Michael Turner, LeSean McCoy, Roddy White, TO, Derrick Mason, Akers and the others. Oh and to top it off you got a Pick Six from Baltimore's defense on the final play of the weekend to top 200 points. Wow, I'm sure drafting in Boston helped you there. Crazy.

Again, my thoughts on Tuesday were to acknowledge what Michael had accomplished during an unbelievable week, not to start the discussion on Boston or the owners who competed in that very tough league. And yes, Erick's team was managed during the year and did pick up several free agents that others wanted. But once you have that broken record spinning you just keep singing the same tune.

I don't like the posts in this thread at all because I believe we should be praising Michael for a job well done and a week that this team may never produce again. And I think one person decided to purposely turn this discussion another way. I hope we can all turn the page on that crap and instead acknowledge every good player who has ONE OF THOSE WEEKS. We'd all like to have one of them and not be bashed for it. Congrats Michael and good luck to everyone else in the NFFC the rest of the way.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:00 pm

In Glenn's defense, he says he was just stating a fact. Again, he's wrong. Erick's team was managed and we all agree was managed badly, but 14 owners drafted in that league and 14 owners ran teams in that league. And it was a very, very tough league that has more veteran NFFC owners than likely any other league. Look at the roster of owners and you don't have to question anyone there. Glenn called out every owner in that league, even some who are his friends. Yes, Erick's team finished last overall in scoring and rightly so, but as Dyv stated there was a last place team in every league and Erick had no influence in Michael Cole's team posting 203.9 points last week. Michael just had the perfect week from a roster that is good enough to be in the Championship Round.

Glenn was stating a fact to tarnish Michael's accomplishment. Plain and simple. Again, not to acknowledge that his team or anyone else's team faltered in Week 14, but to take the glory off the team that had the week of its life. I didn't think that was right.

Hopefully the tone of the boards going forward will be better and we'll return to some normalcy. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging accomplishments and no matter how you slice it this was a phenomenal week from Michael Cole's team. But anything can happen in Weeks 15 and 16. Let the competition continue!! Good luck all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:02 pm

Well said Greg as i agree with you that his starters not superstars either just all blew up.We all have opinions and Snake picked a bad time to bring up the Boston stuff.Still having heard from Snake today and hope he not banned again as this is an exciting time for him being in both playoffs.This should be a fun week asking who to play and sit and maybe cry a little because of the points we got from Calvin,Mike Williams,and Lloyd.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:35 pm

as surely as the sun rises from the east...

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:36 pm

I hope A.A doesn't let all this "talk" take away from what he has accomplished.

The fact is it has to be VERY exciting to be in the "driver's seat", and anyone who plays in the Classic/Primetime, etc. knows this is the reason we play. It isn't for the 5K league prize, and we all know it is "who gets hot at the right time", but damn it has to be exciting to get off to a great start in week 14! :D

Don't let ANYONE ruin your "ride" here A.A!!! You got here, and you put up the best week in week 14. Some people just can't stand "not being in the spotlight" but don't let that take away from all of this!!

Best of luck in the final 2 weeks!! :D

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:37 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
In Glenn's defense, he says he was just stating a fact. Again, he's wrong. If you are my defense attorney, you are fired. :D

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Originally posted by Bald is Beautiful:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
In Glenn's defense, he says he was just stating a fact. Again, he's wrong. If you are my defense attorney, you are fired. :D [/QUOTE]I think there's a new best quote of this thread.
Too freakin' funny. :D

Glenn

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:57 pm

Let's not forget that Lindgren was ridiculed for picking up Steve Johnson in Week 2. Ended up being one of the best pickups of the year.