skipman

**NEW NFFC vs. WCOFF THREAD**

Post by skipman » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:24 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Again, these would be the obvious choices and for the obvious reasons:

1. Mark Srebro/Jason Emma: 2004 NFFC champs
2. Josh & Sid Ferenc: 2005 NFFC champs
3. Kyle Pope/Derek Anderson: Only two-time NFFC league champs
Just name the time and place Greg and we will be there to kick ass and take names. However, please include the following on our team resume:

1. 2004 Triple Crown winners
2. 2005 Ulimate League Runner-Up
3. 2 top-ten finishes in Main Event

I am also happy that you give me a little credit. Most of these yahoos, would throw this baby out with the bath water and leave Lumpy to fend for himself.

I say every Wayne needs a Garth and I am happy to fill that role.

Kyle Pope
Lumpy's Losers
Author of "Why skipping a pick is not draft strategy" - coming out in paperback in time for your draft.

[ July 16, 2006, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: skipman ]

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:37 am

Originally posted by skipman:
Author of "Why skipping a pick is not draft strategy" - coming out in paperback in time for your draft. I've still been waiting for the official Z-Men explanation on this one. Does anyone really understand the rationale of how skipping a draft pick can actually help you? Sounds like a "Drafting to Lose" strategy if there ever were one.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:44 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by skipman:
Author of "Why skipping a pick is not draft strategy" - coming out in paperback in time for your draft. I've still been waiting for the official Z-Men explanation on this one. Does anyone really understand the rationale of how skipping a draft pick can actually help you? Sounds like a "Drafting to Lose" strategy if there ever were one. [/QUOTE]I agree that there is NO logical reason to do this.

WHen I read that book, my first reaction is that this makes him "unique" (still didn't understand why you would do it though :confused: ).

When he jumped in with the NFFC and 14 teamer, it is safe to say that (or any other of his strategies) were not successful.

skipman

Post by skipman » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:45 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by skipman:
Author of "Why skipping a pick is not draft strategy" - coming out in paperback in time for your draft. I've still been waiting for the official Z-Men explanation on this one. Does anyone really understand the rationale of how skipping a draft pick can actually help you? Sounds like a "Drafting to Lose" strategy if there ever were one. [/QUOTE]After seeing the great one in action last year, I think this alleged strategy was a cover story for him not being ready to make a pick.

However, at the point that he took Ryan Moats last year (4th round I believe), he may have been better served skipping the pick.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:59 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
When he jumped in with the NFFC and 14 teamer, it is safe to say that (or any other of his strategies) were not successful. rob's a good guy. everyone's gotten burnt once or twice. btw, after the draft last year, both he and i were chatting with a bunch of other folks around us. he told me randle el was gonna catch 80 balls last year (he drafted him in VV 1). i told him he has outta of his f'n mind.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:01 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
When he jumped in with the NFFC and 14 teamer, it is safe to say that (or any other of his strategies) were not successful. rob's a good guy. everyone's gotten burnt once or twice. btw, after the draft last year, both he and i were chatting with a bunch of other folks around us. he told me randle el was gonna catch 80 balls last year (he drafted him in VV 1). i told him he has outta of his f'n mind. [/QUOTE]80 balls??? :eek:

I know everyone gets burned now and then, and he obviously put two GREAT years back to back in the WCOFF.

T - 4 and counting!! :D

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:05 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
T - 4 and counting!! :D that was LV1, not VV1.

back to mowing lawn for me. :mad: :mad:

ps - this morning i read rod white is lobbying to get to the 80 catch plateau this year. if it comes true, he could be worth 100K+.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:17 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
T - 4 and counting!! :D that was LV1, not VV1.

back to mowing lawn for me. :mad: :mad:

ps - this morning i read rod white is lobbying to get to the 80 catch plateau this year. if it comes true, he could be worth 100K+.
[/QUOTE]I think Skipman put VV1.

So is Roddy White your "Steven Jackson of 2004"? ;)

I like him as a #5 but nothing higher. A #4 if you are REALLY solid at #1-#3 WR's.

Have fun with that lawn, sanding the deck sucked!

And I get the next 2 days to stain it in temperatures around 100! :eek: :(

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:03 am

One idea that I thought of re: advantage of skipping your pick would be...

Using todays draft...I'm at pos 12 of 14.

Me 12
BillyWaz 13
Follow Me 14

Say...we're coming down in round 9 and I'm still without a QB...(and there are only 2 left that I want)

Teams 1-11 already have a QB1...so...I'm pretty sure they will wait until the later rounds to get a backup (sometime AFTER my pick in the 11th round).

Teams 13, 14 and myself at 12 do NOT have a QB1 yet.

I WANT a certain WR at this point...but do NOT want to sacrifice my QB1 to get this WR...but the chance I can get the same QB1 in the 11th round remains high if they are not selected by teams 13 and 14 during the end of the 9th/start of the 10th.

I can "skip" my pick...risking that teams 13 and 14 DO NOT select the WR I covet...and should they select one of the two QB's I'd like to draft in the 11th round...I can jump in a grab the other QB1 (valued the same IMO)

Benefit of skipping...(IMO)
Teams 13 and 14 DO NOT draft a QB nor my WR...

I get the WR I targeted in the 9th (late...when it's my turn in the 10th)...AND my targetted 10th round RB/TE/WR bonus! (based on me not using my 9th/10th rounder on a QB...believing I'll still get that QB1 in the 11th.

If they DO take a QB1...I jump in and get the other QB1 I need now...no real loss.

It has to have the stars align to come through...but it has its base in logical gambling of what the other players will draft...trying to get 3 great picks, rather that only 2.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:14 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
One idea that I thought of re: advantage of skipping your pick would be...

Using todays draft...I'm at pos 12 of 14.

Me 12
BillyWaz 13
Follow Me 14

Say...we're coming down in round 9 and I'm still without a QB...(and there are only 2 left that I want)

Teams 1-11 already have a QB1...so...I'm pretty sure they will wait until the later rounds to get a backup (sometime AFTER my pick in the 11th round).

Teams 13, 14 and myself at 12 do NOT have a QB1 yet.

I WANT a certain WR at this point...but do NOT want to sacrifice my QB1 to get this WR...but the chance I can get the same QB1 in the 11th round remains high if they are not selected by teams 13 and 14 during the end of the 9th/start of the 10th.

I can "skip" my pick...risking that teams 13 and 14 DO NOT select the WR I covet...and should they select one of the two QB's I'd like to draft in the 11th round...I can jump in a grab the other QB1 (valued the same IMO)

Benefit of skipping...(IMO)
Teams 13 and 14 DO NOT draft a QB nor my WR...

I get the WR I targeted in the 9th (late...when it's my turn in the 10th)...AND my targetted 10th round RB/TE/WR bonus! (based on me not using my 9th/10th rounder on a QB...believing I'll still get that QB1 in the 11th.

If they DO take a QB1...I jump in and get the other QB1 I need now...no real loss.

It has to have the stars align to come through...but it has its base in logical gambling of what the other players will draft...trying to get 3 great picks, rather that only 2.

~Lance What?
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...