3RR Point/Counterpoint For The Magazine

Team Legacy

Post by Team Legacy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:29 am

Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
It helped our cause when GG won from the 13th spot and when TEAM NEW dominated the regular season from the 13th spot. Also...

None of the top 9 regular season finishers in 2004 drafted from the 1-3 slots.

Only ONE of the top 14 regular season finishers in 2004 drafted from the 1-3 slots.

Eight of the top 23 regular season finishers in 2004 drafted from the 12-14 slots, including 1st and 3rd overall.
[/QUOTE]2004 was the EXCEPTION TO THE RULE Alex. Tiki Barber and Curtis Martin both came from late position.

2000 - Marshall > Top pick
2001 - Marshall > Top pick
2002 - Priest > Top pick
2003 - Priest and LT > Top picks

2005 - Alexander and LT > Top picks
2006 - LT and LJ Top picks

Recent history has 6 of the last 7 years, the top picks have an EDGE. Why are you hung up on 2004?
Twitter: @ScottFantasy

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:33 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
If anyone is hanging their hats on 2004 data (initial year for a brand new format to most everyone playing), your ship is sinking (and fast) You didn't answer my question and I don't think you will.

Niether did you, Scott.
For Players. By Players.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:37 am

quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
If anyone is hanging their hats on 2004 data (initial year for a brand new format to most everyone playing), your ship is sinking (and fast) You didn't answer my question and I don't think you will.

Niether did you, Scott.
[/QUOTE]Nag - I agree for the most part with greg's answer.

it will be fun watching you and lou try and justify an inferior viewpoint
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:45 am

You didn't answer my question and I don't think you will.Mark, you are as predictable as ever.
For Players. By Players.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:07 am

Yawn...I hope you and lou have more ammo than what you've already posted.

Ps - I can see why you wouldn't want to write the article. I wouldn't want my name associated with the countpoint either
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:20 am

Originally posted by Team Legacy:
quote:Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
It helped our cause when GG won from the 13th spot and when TEAM NEW dominated the regular season from the 13th spot. Also...

None of the top 9 regular season finishers in 2004 drafted from the 1-3 slots.

Only ONE of the top 14 regular season finishers in 2004 drafted from the 1-3 slots.

Eight of the top 23 regular season finishers in 2004 drafted from the 12-14 slots, including 1st and 3rd overall.
[/QUOTE]2004 was the EXCEPTION TO THE RULE Alex. Tiki Barber and Curtis Martin both came from late position.

2000 - Marshall > Top pick
2001 - Marshall > Top pick
2002 - Priest > Top pick
2003 - Priest and LT > Top picks

2005 - Alexander and LT > Top picks
2006 - LT and LJ Top picks

Recent history has 6 of the last 7 years, the top picks have an EDGE. Why are you hung up on 2004?
[/QUOTE]Just like I said yesterday, once every 6-7 years.

If 2004 was the norm, of course this would not be the debate.

But this is not a knee-jerk reaction. It's a reaction that probably should have happened a long time ago.

It took the level of play here to expose the weakness of the snake draft in a 14-team league. It took the expertise of the MB members to run a test, it took the wisdom of those that run the event to make a change.

Greg, I'm up for writing any article, just let me know..
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:24 am

To expand further...is the root problem the snake draft...or 14 teams? Is the desire to make the contest "more difficult" actually creating the problem? Would 10 or 8 team ("kiddie") leagues have a much more balanced payout percentage???

I don't know...I'm just tossing this out as well.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

3INTBOY

Post by 3INTBOY » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:32 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Team Legacy:
There's a STRONG possibility that this proposal of 3RR will ASSUREDLY HELP (maybe not solve) but HELP lessen the advantage that the top picks have enjoyed the last few years.

Will 3RR perfect the issue so that evenly across the board every spot wins evenly? NO, I'm sure it won't, but let's just say if currently, the top 4 picks win 50% of the time compared to the 28.5% of the time the laws of averages state would be "even" (4 out of 14), we have a problem.

There IS a concern that some have mentioned that the advantage simply SHIFTS to the bottom half of the draft while the "middle" shows no improvement. Even if this were to happen, the "distance" between the teams drafting at the top, compared to everyone else has been lessened, which will make for a more even competition. I think I speak for most people when saying everyone wants to be on equal footing on draft day, no matter what pick you receive. What you do with the picks are obviously up to you.

3RR doesn't GUARANTEE anything, but one would think it has to help. Anyone stating WHAT it will do definitively is gambling, but common sense tells us its gotta help lessen the edge.

Thankfully, the guys that WIN the draft spot lottery won't be counting their winning checks as fast as they have in the past. Oh boy, Scott is making a solid play for the POINT article. Gekko, you better come through if you want to top this!! :D You get the article going, I'll find a better picture of you. How about that NFFC photo of you when you were hung over? :D
[/QUOTE]Greg, Scott is either making a case as the POINT or he's attempting to be the new weatherman in INDY.

"Today there is a STRONG POSSIBILITY of it being PARTLY CLOUDY with a CHANCE of Rain" ;)

I gladly accept, with one caveat. No, "it's gotta help" or "Assuredly its a improvement"

Lets have some concrete staements in there. No weatherman stuff...

It will be fun, and I will NOT write it as negative, I will write it as a change thats need may be overstated.

Thanks Greg,

Lou

[ February 16, 2007, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: 3INTBOY/BFDFANTASY.com ]

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:45 am

Greg,

How many words/characters should the article be?
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:30 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
To expand further...is the root problem the snake draft...or 14 teams? Is the desire to make the contest "more difficult" actually creating the problem? Would 10 or 8 team ("kiddie") leagues have a much more balanced payout percentage???

I don't know...I'm just tossing this out as well.

~Lance Aren't the numbers from 12-teams even worse?

I thought I saw something on that posted.

The problem in any draft is the value one gets with a top picks is much, much greater than picks just 6-10 slots later, when compared to other rounds.

Then those same owners get the best picks to start rounds 3 and 5, where there are many times significant drop offs also about mid round. It's THESE picks that make the top picks too valuable, unless someone really botches those 3 and 5 picks, which occasionally you will see.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.