3RR Point/Counterpoint For The Magazine

Team Legacy

Post by Team Legacy » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:27 am

Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Team Legacy:
I disagree again. 6 of the last 7 years, the top players were drafted as picks at/near the top. Facts are facts. These are not facts Scott. Please see year 2002 and 2004. [/QUOTE]2004 is the ONE year the top player didn't come from a top pick, thus 6 out of 7.

2002, Priest Holmes was the # 1 RB.

Priest was the #2 perfoming RB in 2001, so where do your draftboards say he was drafted? I can't see how he wasn't at/near the top.

I stand by my facts, what are yours?
Twitter: @ScottFantasy

TURBOUGH

Post by TURBOUGH » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:52 am

Cons to the 3RR draft system:

Just as in 2006, there are your clear cut top 3 running backs in the league. Fourth on back are pretty much a crap shoot. What the 3RR creates is a disadvantage to the 4th-7th draft positions. Why? Simply because the first round is somewhat of a reach and you are drafting in the bottom half in the next two rounds. You know what your going to get from L.T., L.J., and S. Jackson but what about the rest? Their is clear seperation from the rest of the pack. This has nothing to do with being "prepared" for the draft. The teams most likely to struggle with this format are the 4th-7th draft positions.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:28 am

Originally posted by TURBOUGH:
Cons to the 3RR draft system:

Just as in 2006, there are your clear cut top 3 running backs in the league. Fourth on back are pretty much a crap shoot. What the 3RR creates is a disadvantage to the 4th-7th draft positions. Why? Simply because the first round is somewhat of a reach and you are drafting in the bottom half in the next two rounds. You know what your going to get from L.T., L.J., and S. Jackson but what about the rest? Their is clear seperation from the rest of the pack. This has nothing to do with being "prepared" for the draft. The teams most likely to struggle with this format are the 4th-7th draft positions. SA...Gore and Westy could all be very close to LJ and SJax in 2007. LT is still on an island at #1. The 4-7 owners will get a better 2nd and 3rd rounder so I disagree that those positions will struggle.

3RR will have an impact in 2007. A better top 70 (5 rounds) will have more of an impact though IMO. RB's should be deeper with less ????'s than 2006.

I think 2007 will be a great year for depth. The FF life cycle has been through a few years of status quo. In 2006 it completed a cycle.

Last years rookie class coupled with some of the proven vets either retiring or taking a lesser role opened up great possibilities for 2007.

3RR will be praised in 2007. Hopefully the depth of talent gets as much attention.

TURBOUGH

Post by TURBOUGH » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:52 am

Many teams are now splitting the work load at running back. Yes, the draft will be deeper (I agree there) but it will not be as strong at running back because of splitting carries. Westbrook was on the injury report every week and is Gore considered a durable running back? I don't know. I don't know how 4-7 will get better picks when they are in the lower half drafting in each of those rounds.

BTW, I'm not saying that I'm not on board with the 3RR draft style. I'm strictly offering an opinion on the downside.

[ February 19, 2007, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: TURBOUGH ]

renman

Post by renman » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:26 am

Turbough,

I actually agree with your assessment of this coming season in terms of picks 4-7 (assuming you do not consider Alexander part of the "big 4")

However each season will be different... There will come a day where there is not a LT that stands head and shoulders above the rest of the league (like this coming season) and I wonder how 3RR will work in those seasons. I am all for 3RR and find it appealing in terms of how it will add texture and an unpredictability to the draft... but wonder how it will change from year to year as the value of players change year to year.

3INTBOY

Post by 3INTBOY » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:03 am

Originally posted by renman:
Turbough,

I actually agree with your assessment of this coming season in terms of picks 4-7 (assuming you do not consider Alexander part of the "big 4")

However each season will be different... There will come a day where there is not a LT that stands head and shoulders above the rest of the league (like this coming season) and I wonder how 3RR will work in those seasons. I am all for 3RR and find it appealing in terms of how it will add texture and an unpredictability to the draft... but wonder how it will change from year to year as the value of players change year to year. Hey Renman, Turbough there was one player in 2006 that just exploded, the next 4 were within 60 points of each other.
Couldn't agree more with you both.

3'

[ February 19, 2007, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: 3INTBOY/BFDFANTASY.com ]

wayne123

Post by wayne123 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:08 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Alex and Lou, I think the ultimate question is this: If you are paying this much money to compete for $100,000 and the recognition as the best fantasy football player in the nation, wouldn't you want as many factors in your control as possible? And if those controls don't upset the basis of the contest, wouldn't it make sense to use them?

There are luck factors involved in fantasy football, we all admit to that, but the skillful owners will still overcome those factors. Still, why not throw in another element of skill (3RR combined with KDS) and slightly eliminate the luck factor involved with random draft slots? To me, it's like allowing FAAB for free agent pickups rather than allocating free agents in reverse order of current standings (which we all did at one time). Outstanding summary, Greg! This is exactly why 3RR should be used. However, fantasy football remains almost entirely decided by luck. The one exception might be an auction keeper league. Now, I am not sure why "luck" is such a negative word in poker and fantasy football circles. Luck is what makes the game fun! Sure, its nice to think you did something based on football IQ. But, lets face it...if it wasn't largely luck, then the order of draft picks would be way more important! The fact that anyone can get lucky and pick a 4th round stud RB or a 16th round leading WR makes fantasy football worth playing from any draft position. There is nothing wrong with luck and all NFFC league winners got lucky somewhere along the way. That is not an insult...luck may be a four letter word, but so is love and soda!
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:55 am

Many teams are now splitting the work load at running back. Yes, the draft will be deeper (I agree there) but it will not be as strong at running back because of splitting carries. Westbrook was on the injury report every week and is Gore considered a durable running back? I don't know. I don't know how 4-7 will get better picks when they are in the lower half drafting in each of those rounds.

BTW, I'm not saying that I'm not on board with the 3RR draft style. I'm strictly offering an opinion on the downside. Daryl, let's remember that #7 moves ONE spot. ONE. ONE. IN THE THIRD ROUND. Six moves three spots. Now if you think that 4 and 5 are being hurt by 3RR, then that's a solid opinion. But many others may feel that grabbing Alexander or Westbrook up there is a solid start. So beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This is going to be a fun draft because there are so many uncertainties this year. Even rookies like Calvin Johnson could go high if he's drafted by the right team. Should be a lot of fun in any draft format.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

TURBOUGH

Post by TURBOUGH » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:08 am

I'm on board with it but that is the con that I see. You are right about the #7 slot BUT #6 dropping three spots could hurt. We'll agree on the 4th and 5th at possibly having a disadvantage. Ya just don't know if your getting your moneys worth in those two slots.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:43 am

I'm on board with it but that is the con that I see. You are right about the #7 slot BUT #6 dropping three spots could hurt. We'll agree on the 4th and 5th at possibly having a disadvantage. Ya just don't know if your getting your moneys worth in those two slots. Again, that's your opinion about 4 and 5. You could start out with Stephen Jackson or Shaun Alexander and maybe even LJ if goofy picks happen ahead of you. I just don't see 4 and 5 being as bad as you do, but I guess anything is possible. Both get four of the top 50 picks and a franchise pick to start. I guess only time will tell how this all works out, but I have a feeling it's not as dire as you are currently predicting.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius