NFFC Trendsetters League: Setting The Trend

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:53 am

Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
Reggie Wayne is the best value pick of this group. Rock solid pick with no downside at 13. Jeff must have a rule against picking Colts Wayne has too much competition for the ball...Clark - Garcon - Collie - Gonzalez - and the RB's.
Marshall is a top 3 WR this year...Reggie is top 7.
Sometimes you gotta swing for the fences! ;)
[/QUOTE]I was gonna post EXACTLY what you said about the Colts and only one ball to go around, Jeff. Also, Wayne was a HUGE disappointment down the stretch to his owners late in the year.

That being said, I don't see the Dolphins using Marshall the way the Broncos (forcing him the ball), and I could see his numbers taking a pretty good hit.

But the beauty (OK, maybe curse? ;) ) of the trendsetters is you can't see some of these things coming. Believe me, I know. I got Big "I can't keep it in my pants" Ben, and drafted Jason Campbell about three weeks before the Skins signed McNabb! :mad:

Oh well, I'm still liking my team. :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:00 am

Originally posted by Leroy's Aces:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
I'm trying to find the comments from each owner on each pick. They did write comments and if I can add them I will. I just have to find them. And tomorrow I'll add Round 2. Here is the blog, Greg. There are comments (22) way at the bottom. I would have posted, but it pretty lengthy, so you may want to edit it:

Trendsetters Blog

Fun and challenging draft as always.
[/QUOTE]Got it. Thanks. Okay, let's have some fun with a few of these first round picks and see what the Trendsetters Owners had to say.

Chris Johnson seems like the trendy pick at No. 1 for now. In this draft, Wayne Ellis took Ray Rice second overall. Interesting. Here's what he had to say about that pick:

"I had the second pick in the draft. I had Ray Rice,AP, and MJD all rated pretty close. I think this year the top of the draft is the place to be. I think the top 4 backs are so solid and explosive particulary Chris johnson you have to give your self a chance to build a team around one of them. Barring injury there sure to produce at a high rate. I set my KDS at 1-4,14-12,etc. Now that I think about it I prefer waynes KDS of 1,4,3,2 since after CJ the other 3 backs are even.

"RD1. RAY RICE...I picked Rice over AP because of his pass catching skills. I think he could come close to 1,000 recieving and well over 1,000 on the ground. His YPC avg is particulary impressive. All he needs is TDS. I was not happy to read and Willis Mcgahee will resign with the Ravens but when you as soon as the super bowl ends those are the things you deal with."
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:04 am

Glenn Lowy had the fifth pick -- his first KDS choice -- and took Andre Johnson. Here's his take on that pick:

"I'm the newbie to this league Rob referred to in his original post. In a sense, I'm a newbie not only to the this league, but to High Stakes Fantasy Football & High Stakes Fantasy Sports in general, 2009 being the first year I tried either.
It's funny, when I was first considering joining the NFFC & checking out their message board, the Trendsetters thread was one of the first I read. I thought it was extremely cool that there were players out there dedicated, interested, and yes crazy enough to start a football draft moments after the completion of the previous year's Super Bowl. I figured these are my kind of people and ended up jumping head first into High Stakes football contests.
Little did I know at the time that these players were some of the most successful, talented, & well known players in the industry. Nor did I know at the time that I would be asked to join them less than a year later. Obviously these sharks needed a little chum....

Now onto my draft....

1- Andre Johnson - I began with the 5th pick of the draft (my KDS started 1-5). I was hoping one of the big 4 running backs would drop as I'm a big believer that the most valuable asset in fantasy football is the sure thing full time stud RB. However, once all four were snapped up, I turned my attention from RB to AJ, because I'm also a big believer in creating an edge over your competition & AJ does that at WR. In my mind, he's hands down the best WR in the draft."
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:06 am

Veteran NFFC owner Jeff Dawson followed at No. 6 and took Frank Gore. Here's his thoughts there:

"I had the 6th pick,really wanted top 5,knowing 4rb's or Andre Johnson would be in my stable, but I was 1 off and have to live with it..

1.6 Frank Gore...As you will see later in the draft,I love were the 49ers are heading...There really wasn't any question in my mind were I was going,the only concern is health.If Frank can stay healthy for 16 game,he easily can and will be a top 3 back."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:08 am

Dan Thomas followed at No. 7, also his first KDS choice, which again is interesting to this game. Picking where YOU want to pick is one neat feature the NFFC offers that no other high-stakes game offers. And if you're paying this kind of money, why wouldn't you ask the game operators for the chance to pick your preferred draft spot?

Anyway, here's Dan's take on the No. 7 slot:

"I had the 7th pick which was my first choice. I obviously like the top RB's but I thought there was good value throughout the 1st round and didn't want to get stuck at the end of a position run with this group.

1.7 Steven Jackson RB...Got some negative comments about him but Jackson has had solid numbers considering his O-Line and I think the Rams are going to continue to improve thier line."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:10 am

Donny D'Amico took Jamaal Charles at No. 8, but that was before Thomas Jones was signed. Here was his take at the time: "Charles was definitely in Charge towards the end of last season, where he scored in 7-8 games, can catch the rock & run like the wind, I've kind of likened him to a poor-man's Chris Johnson, with plenty of upside."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:12 am

Dave Gerczak, our 2009 $100,000 NFFC Primetime winner and our NFFC Leading Money winner all-time, had the ninth pick and went with Miles Austin. Here's his take on the pick:

"I had the 1.09 pick and started with WR Miles Austin. I know it is early for him, but he is 6'3" 214 with a stud QB in Romo and solid complementary players like Witten and those 3 RBs. I didn't like other WRs like Calvin (Is Stafford good), Randy Moss (age, plus no Welker for 7 weeks). I did not like other RBs either, so Austin was fairly safe plus he has upside."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:15 am

Seven of the 14 picks in the first round were WRs, including the last six picks of the first round. After Austin it was:
Larry Fitzgerald
Roddy White
Brandon Marshall
Reggie Wayne
Calvin Johnson

At 13, Rob Benetti, our NFFC Classic Champion from 2007, took Reggie Wayne. Here was his take from the bottom of the first round:

"I went in 95% sure I would take a WR in this round. The only way I wasn’t going to do so was if one of two RBs dropped and they didn’t. When it was my choice to pick I almost felt compelled to draft Reggie Wayne. I feel he is the safest and most consistent player remaining on the board, which at pick 13 – is what I am targeting."

[ April 21, 2010, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:18 am

Mark Moyer closed out the first round by taking Calvin Johnson. I'll give you a hint: He took a RB to start Round 2. Here's his take on CJ:

"Reggie Wayne would have been an automatic pick for me here. I think Rob got a steal as I would take him as the 2nd WR off of the board, behind only Andre Johnson, in this format. With Wayne gone, I went with Calvin Johnson. He is usually off of the board by now, and will be in September. I don’t trust him, but he did average 16.4 ppg with Stafford at QB and with only 5 TD receptions. 16.4 ppg would have ranked him as WR #7 last season. If he and Stafford can both stay healthy for 15 games, I wouldn’t bet that they can, that would equate to 246 points, which would put him around WR #8 to WR #10. If they can both stay healthy, and either or both of them improve, then he could make the jump into the Top 3 to Top 5. As WR #7 off the board, I’ll take a chance."