NFFC Trendsetters League: Setting The Trend

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:20 am

Okay, that's it for the first round right now. Nibble on these picks and perspectives and have some banter. I'll add the second round picks this afternoon and comments as well. Again, thanks to all for putting the time and effort into this and for Jules for hosting the comments on FantasyFreakinFootball.com until I could get around to getting to football. We'll continue this thread for a LOOOOOOOONG time and have some fun.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:03 am

Glenn,

I actually went 4th and took MJD there. The KDS part was from my post but the Ray Rice quote was actually Chris Gillman's write up who took Ray Rice second.

I was very happy to take MJD 4th! Now I just have to hope that the Jags don't do something dumb like drafting Stiller.

Wayne

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:04 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
[qb] But the beauty (OK, maybe curse? ;) ) of the trendsetters is you can't see some of these things coming. Believe me, I know. I got Big "I can't keep it in my pants" Ben, and drafted Jason Campbell about three weeks before the Skins signed McNabb! :mad:

Oh well, I'm still liking my team. :D
[/QUOTE]Now here's someone who sees the glass as half full!! (or maybe he's just blind :eek: )

Ben is out for at least the first 5 weeks, even if he behaves himself, and then depending on how the Steelers are faring he may not start immediately. Campbell, unless he gets traded and even then it might be questionable, won't be playing and Hasselbeck could very likely lose his stareting position to Whitehurst. It doesn't seem likely that Seattle's new regime, which has zero invested in Matty, traded a high draft choice and spend a lot of money on a guy they don't intend to play.
So, right now you may not have a QB and you still like your team. Ahhhh...you gotta love the FF optimist.

Although when you made the choices, I'd have also liked them. But I sure wouldn't like them today. Yeah, it's fun drafting in the dark.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:35 am

Okay, let's get to Round 2 and see how that went. Here's Round 1 again so that you can see the owners' names:

NFBC Trendsetters League:
First Round:
1. Chris Johnson (Greg Morgan)
2. Ray Rice (Chris Gillman)
3. Adrian Peterson (John Reuss)
4. Maurice Jones-Drew (Wayne Ellis)
5. Andre Johnson (Glenn Lowy)
6. Frank Gore (Jeff Dawson)
7. Steven Jackson (Dan Thomas)
8. Jamaal Charles (Donnie D'Amico)
9. Miles Austin (Dave Gerczak)
10. Larry Fitzgerald (Billy Wasosky)
11. Roddy White (Matt Bayley)
12. Brandon Marshall (Jeff Clampitt)
13. Reggie Wayne (Rob Benetti)
14. Calvin Johnson (Mark Moyer)

Round 2:
15. DeAngelo Williams
16. Vincent Jackson
17. Drew Brees
18. Greg Jennings
19. Randy Moss
20. Rashard Mendenhall
21. DeSean Jackson
22. Steve Smith (NYG)
23. Aaron Rodgers
24. Michael Turner
25. Marques Colston
26. Steve Smith (CAR)
27. Matt Forte
28. Sidney Rice

Thoughts? I'll grab the owners' comments soon.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:40 am

Rich,

I'm not sure about drafting in the dark but there is definitely an element of high risk/high reward that isn't normally there in the late August drafts. Nobody could see the Roethlisberger situation happening but the reason Jason Campbell went so late was because his job wasn't safe. Billy made a good pick (especially that late) and had he kept the job it would have been a great value. But given McNabb's injury history Campbell could be starting by halftime of the first week.

Anyways, you do have to weigh in on how safe somebody is to actually see the field before you make your picks. I actually think it makes the draft a lot of fun.

Wayne

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:10 am

Wayne,

Don't misunderstand me; I'm not criticizing the draft, I'm sure it's a lot of fun. In fact had I seen it earlier I probably would have joined.
But...a draft that is held before free agency, trading, the rookie draft and off season shenanigans has to be done with a bunch of poor information and assumptions. That is what it is...hence "drafting in the dark". Even a draft done in August is contingent on a lot of luck in how it plays out when you factor in injuries, coaching decisions, player conduct etc, etc. It's just magnified significantly when you factor in all the additional unknowns in Feb, March, April.

Instead of the Trendsetters League, a more appropriate name might be the Follies League.
:D

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:15 am

Re: Miles Austin...

See Nate Burleson's stats, the year he became the "#1" WR in Minnesota when R.Moss left and Culpepper was still there. Good luck Cowboy drafters...
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:24 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
Re: Miles Austin...

See Nate Burleson's stats, the year he became the "#1" WR in Minnesota when R.Moss left and Culpepper was still there. Good luck Cowboy drafters... Marc,

I have no idea what you are saying, please elaborate. i agree Austin as the 2nd WR off the board might be a stretch, but what does his situation in Dallas with basically the same team around him as last year have to do with Burleson taking over for Moss as the #1 in Minny with Culpepper at QB? What has changed in Dallas besides Flozell (motion penalty) Adams possibly leaving?

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:25 am

RiFF, I'm guessing you didn't have Burleson the year Moss left Minnesots. Burleson had a very good year. Better than most expected from him, the prvious season. Once expected to put up #1WR numbers, he BOMBED.

So to be blunt and to the point, Austin is going WAY TOO EARLY, in my opinion.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."