Planning Ahead For 2012 Classic League

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:46 pm

Originally posted by Al R G:
Keep the prizes for the Classic as it is. I am a classic league veteran. I have not won a grand prize, but have won league prizes. I don't believe raising the league prizes will bring more people to the event and you will lose a lot of people if you lower the 100K grand prize. They may just go over to the Primetime, but I don't understand the reasoning to change something that isn't broke. The Classic is a niche, with 14 teams, and will never appeal to the masses, but it will maintain the current classic diehards by keeping it the way it is. I don't mind change, when it is warranted. In this case, it isn't, and the proposed increases in league prizes does not appeal to me like the 100K possibility. Just my opinion. Yes, if it's not broke, don't fix it. But unfortunately, our Classic prizes are based on 322 teams and we haven't sold out the Classic in 7 of our 8 years. We had 280 teams for the Classic last year, short of 322. Yes, we can roll out the same plan based on 322 teams again next year with a $100,000 grand prize, but if we fall 42 teams short again it's a big shortfall. So while it doesn't look broke, the overall numbers for the Classic are decreasing not increasing. And the number of returning players is down, not up. So yes, we are looking at ways to increase return members and increase overall numbers for the Classic. That's doing the smart thing when the event isn't reaching our goals.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
I think the problem here is that the 14 teamer could be dying (hope not), as it is obvious that the NFFC wants to pursue building the 12 teamer.

With that said, if more and more people don't join, there is no way the NFFC can continue to offer a $100K prize for the 14 teamer. and make it worth their time.

Maybe I am wrong, but that is my thinking as to why they are considering reducing the grand prize. This is bad speculation Billy. The NFFC isn't trying to build the 12-teamer at the EXPENSE of the 14-teamer. We'd love both contests to grow and we continue to be the only event to offer this 14-team format. Tom and I have continued to push this contest through 8 years of competition.

We're looking for the right solution to GROW the Classic. We once had 350 teams in the Classic. Last year we had 280. Now granted, last year was a unique season and this year might be different. Maybe as Michael says we can sell out this year with the Classic on both weekends. Maybe now is not the time to change. Or maybe it is the time to look at increasing league prizes at the sake of the overall grand prize. I don't know. I'm looking for help.

But the 14-team format is not DYING. We're looking for a solution to GROW it further, while also looking to grow the 12-team format. We think we can do that over two weekends of drafts and multiple city drafts, something nobody else in this space is doing. We want both formats to grow and we're willing to host twice as many drafts in multiple locations to make that happen. Hopefully we can find the solution among everyone's suggestions. As you can see, I'm open to your feedback without stating that our Classic is DYING.

[ February 05, 2012, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:39 pm

Remember one thing about this discussion: Because the Primetime grew last year beyond our goal of 336 teams, we were able to spread the added prize money to league prizes, so our 12-team format actually gave away a higher top league prize ($5,200) than our 14-team Classic league winner ($5,000). Can we really grow the Classic with lower league prizes than any 12-team event? Maybe and like some are saying, maybe we grow beyond the goal of 322 teams and then add to the league prizes later.

All of this is part of the discussion.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:51 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
I think the problem here is that the 14 teamer could be dying (hope not), as it is obvious that the NFFC wants to pursue building the 12 teamer.

With that said, if more and more people don't join, there is no way the NFFC can continue to offer a $100K prize for the 14 teamer. and make it worth their time.

Maybe I am wrong, but that is my thinking as to why they are considering reducing the grand prize. This is bad speculation Billy. The NFFC isn't trying to build the 12-teamer at the EXPENSE of the 14-teamer. We'd love both contests to grow and we continue to be the only event to offer this 14-team format. Tom and I have continued to push this contest through 8 years of competition.

We're looking for the right solution to GROW the Classic. We once had 350 teams in the Classic. Last year we had 280. Now granted, last year was a unique season and this year might be different. Maybe as Michael says we can sell out this year with the Classic on both weekends. Maybe now is not the time to change. Or maybe it is the time to look at increasing league prizes at the sake of the overall grand prize. I don't know. I'm looking for help.

But the 14-team format is not DYING. We're looking for a solution to GROW it further, while also looking to grow the 12-team format. We think we can do that over two weekends of drafts and multiple city drafts, something nobody else in this space is doing. We want both formats to grow and we're willing to host twice as many drafts in multiple locations to make that happen. Hopefully we can find the solution among everyone's suggestions. As you can see, I'm open to your feedback without stating that our Classic is DYING.
[/QUOTE]Greg,

You have come on here and said that the Primetime is going to be featured, and that is what you are going to try and grow. Also, I know the future plans for the Primetime are much more grand than the Classic.

All I am speculating is that if you had to choose between the two and could only pick one, it is clear where your intentions are focused (and there is nothing wrong with that).

I hope the Classic is around forever, but like you said, 7 of 8 years without a sellout, so something has to change.

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Greg just a question,wasnt the classic offerd for just one weekend where the Primetime was two weekends.If im wrong then never mind but if right that 2nd week would have made the 322.I love the classic and want to see it grow bt also hoping for the new changes for more money to league winners and dropping the big prize to 75.000 if need be. thanks.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:51 am

One other thing to keep in mind. Those 280 teams were not 280 different participants, there were plenty of folks that had two, maybe three teams. I think that was only an option for the last two years. So this contest definitely is not for everyone and it's number of participants is lower than 280.

I think it needs tweaking. As I said in another thread raising league prizes at the expense of the grand prize would pay more people more money! But I don't think raising 1st place by $1,000 is enough. If the grand prize is reduced by 25-50K, 1st place getting $7,500 would open some eyes.
Pat Sorge

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:31 am

I think Eddie hit the nail on the head, leave everything as is and offer the Classic for 2 weekends and let's see what happens. I know I will be in for 2 Classic teams this coming year and I can see more folks looking at the better odds for $100k in the Classic and making the switch.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

RC Techies

Post by RC Techies » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:02 am

Raising the league prize by $1,000 doesn't excite me if that means the overall prize is going to be substantially lowered. I would have to make a choice between playing the Classic or a second Primetime team where the overall prize is higher and the league prizes about equal. Not sure I would continue to play the Classic.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:36 am

Why don't we raise the entry fee by $100. Put the extra $1400 into the league prize. $1000 more goes to 1st $400 to second. This way the O/A prize stays at 100k and we get our $6000 1st place prize.

The additional $100 kind of works as a league side bet...

Everybody's happy all at the cost of a dinner out for a family of four :D

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:04 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:
Why don't we raise the entry fee by $100. Put the extra $1400 into the league prize. $1000 more goes to 1st $400 to second. This way the O/A prize stays at 100k and we get our $6000 1st place prize.

The additional $100 kind of works as a league side bet...

Everybody's happy all at the cost of a dinner out for a family of four :D