3RR/KDS, What Do You Think?

TURBOUGH

Post by TURBOUGH » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:01 am

I'm on board whether we leave it the same or change it but I believe the 3rd or 5th rounds would be appropriate for reversing.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:52 am

Originally posted by felixflamingo:
So 57% came from 4-14? Thats more then half, I think that shows its not balanced. How can we make it 50-50? Felix, your signature is interesting and funny. But imagine if the NFFC PROMOTED the heck out of 3RR as a selling point for 2007, basically letting everyone know well in advance that this is a positive point about this contest. Do you think everyone would understand it and be up-to-speed with it then? Because seriously, all we're doing is drafting like usual for the first two rounds and then going serpentine starting with the 14th pick in Round 3. It's not that complicated to implement once everyone knows it's coming, right?

We will definitely play up this concept in our two Fantasy Sports Magazine football issues and actually could begin advertising this concept in our two baseball issues as well. Some people may not sign up for the NFFC or return to the NFFC because of this concept, but it's possible that many other people will join BECAUSE of this concept. I think there are some folks who currently play other high-stakes contests who may like this concept once they see it. It certainly takes some of the sting away from a 14-team format, that's for sure.

I think anyone who knows me knows I'll be aggressive with this concept if I decide to do it in 2007 and we have the promotional tools to get the word out about it. I wouldn't doubt that other magazines will write about this concept as well. Again, we should PROMOTE 3RR/KDS if we do this and if we promote this right everyone should understand what they're getting into when they sign up for the NFFC in 2007.

Confusing? Yes, only if Tom and I don't do our jobs this off-season and just before the draft. But confusing to implement on Draft Day? It shouldn't be, at least I don't think it should be.

Now, I must go back to ranking first basemen. KJ Duke, would you pay $44 for Pujols and $43 for Howard in NL-only leagues? That's where I have them right now!! :D
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:10 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Now, I must go back to ranking first basemen. KJ Duke, would you pay $44 for Pujols and $43 for Howard in NL-only leagues? That's where I have them right now!! :D ... take $3-4 from Howard and give them to Albert and you're in the ballpark

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:16 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Now, I must go back to ranking first basemen. KJ Duke, would you pay $44 for Pujols and $43 for Howard in NL-only leagues? That's where I have them right now!! :D ... take $3-4 from Howard and give them to Albert and you're in the ballpark [/QUOTE]UFS and I got Howard for $23 in LABR last year, enroute to our runnerup finish. We won't get him for that this year. :D I trust Howard will go for $40 or more and Pujols for $43-$45. He went for $42 last year as it's tough to pay much more than that for any player in NL-only leagues. Now mixed leagues, $48+.

Again, I haven't decided to do 3RR/KDS in 2007, but if I do we'll PROMOTE THE HELL OUT OF IT!!! It will be a selling tool for the NFFC, not a crutch.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:29 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Again, I haven't decided to do 3RR/KDS in 2007, but if I do we'll PROMOTE THE HELL OUT OF IT!!! It will be a selling tool for the NFFC, not a crutch. It's like reading an NFL injury report. I'd say 3RR has been upgraded from doubtful to probable. Barring a setback ... :D

renman

Post by renman » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:40 am

The obvious big question is if 3RR/KDS is innovative and attractive enough to lure more hard core fantasy players to overcome those who are confused by it and leave or don't join the NFFC because of it.

I think when you factor that this is a high stakes event you are going to have people scream and cry foul if they feel others have an unfair advantage. I do think Felixflamingo makes some good points about this being "reactionary" in some ways. I know Gekkos "stats" are quite profound but they only covered this year and last year. Where are 2004 stats for the NFFC leagues? I am not saying those numbers will not support the need for 3RR/KDS but I can remember years where being at the top of the draft was not something many were begging for and at times was a place where drafted teams died from.

I really look forward to more data on this. I have seen some here say that 3RR hurts the middle picks some. Do people agree with that? I want to see results from the mock draft, maybe more info about past fantasy seasons and how much of an advantage there was being in the top 3 spots.

In the mean time, the big final weekend starts tonight... With how many leagues Greg says are coming down to the wire it should be very interesting...

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:47 am

Originally posted by renman:
I have seen some here say that 3RR hurts the middle picks some. Do people agree with that? My opinion is that KDS/3RR obviously helps the back end of the draft.

I think people still think that getting one of those top 2 (next year anyhow)is still an advantage.

I guess what I am saying is that their is nothing "special" about the middle as it didn't get an upgrade like the "back end", and the "front end" is still desirable.

As of right now, pick 3 looks like the pick that people would want to "steer clear" from.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:56 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Again, I haven't decided to do 3RR/KDS in 2007, but if I do we'll PROMOTE THE HELL OUT OF IT!!! It will be a selling tool for the NFFC, not a crutch. It's like reading an NFL injury report. I'd say 3RR has been upgraded from doubtful to probable. Barring a setback ... :D [/QUOTE]HA!...and you know that "probable" is the new "will play!"

A couple of thoughts...

The best part of 3RR (to me) is it's effect on the first few picks, and that it is joined at the hip with KDS.

Being the last team "selected out of the hat" SHOULD have the least desired draft slot. (I guess) With KDS-3RR...if you are selected 7th...you may get to select the 12th-14th spots based on YOUR preference at how the first 3 or so rounds may shake down, and where you feel the drop off lies.

It is not at all confusing...and part of the marketing will be to show the new draft boards with the Big Red Stop Sign and Wide Red Arrow guiding the draft facilitators to STOP and follow the arrow all the way across the draft board from the left to right...and simply continue the draft from there.

I can hear some far of crying coming from all the sheep who rely on magazines and websites for "ADP" draft prep...now they'd better start calling/emailing these favorite sites of theirs to get them on board with this new change...otherwise the mags/websites lose value to this drafting style.

~Lance

[ November 30, 2006, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

renman

Post by renman » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:00 pm

Sportsbettingman,

You made a good point. Think about how many people put so much value in mock drafts they read prior to the season. Now if we went 3RR those mock drafts would not provide the same info. I know you can still see how players are being valued but 3RR changes drafting strategies and thus the predicted sequence of picks.