3RR/KDS, What Do You Think?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:23 pm

Originally posted by Hard heads:
I just don't see it in any of the data presented. oh you see it, but choose to ignore it.

2005 - 12 out of the top 28 owners (43%) came from slots 1/2/3

2006 - 19 out of the top 32 owners (59%) came from slots 1/2/3

if all draft slots were equal, the % should only be 21%. 2005 was double that!! 2006 is nearly TRIPLE!!

some call that checkmate
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

BubbasHouse

Post by BubbasHouse » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:18 pm

Gek -

Nice clear post - fact do present an advantage - period. I favor this 3RR/KDS over ANY other option presented as 1) it's a simplistic way to even draft positioning by pushing the draft ends towards the average middle 2) will be understood by all parties without points/waiver adjustments and most importantly 3) will have people all over the boards debating what draft slot is the BEST draft slot for their KDS positioning.

I'm praying for this kind of an adjustment in the format as it will solidify me (and others) to continue playing with significant investments. The propensity for upper draft positions having an advantage is fact - and has kept my $'s tighter than they will in future plays with this change.

I know I may be in the minority - but I like 3RR/KDS better than BBDS - probably because the value I place on free agent dollars is not as high as others (but don't get me wrong - still needed) - and bidding with points is a bit more of a crapshoot for all.

I'm anxious to see how this works it's way out - but I believe many that would have thrown in the chips because a top 3 pick is only a 21% chance in standard serpentine and those odds suck. We've just metered the value of uper picks and helped that of the lower end which does NOT suck.

Thoughts of Bubba

Hard heads

Post by Hard heads » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:25 pm

checkmate? no, not checkmate, that is two years of fantasy football. and in one year where the numbers are heavily sku'd we have a guy who has outscored his awesome 2005 season through 11 games, how many times has that happened before?
I understand an advantage, just don't think it is that big of a deal that you have to penalize a team for getting what we all know is the best player coming into a season. as i said i will draft wherever and whenever, i just don't see the need to do it that way. kudos to you if you get it changed. if ya don't, then just do the best you can with what you are given.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:45 pm

Originally posted by Hard heads:
checkmate? no, not checkmate, that is two years of fantasy football. and in one year where the numbers are heavily sku'd we have a guy who has outscored his awesome 2005 season through 11 games, how many times has that happened before?
I understand an advantage, just don't think it is that big of a deal that you have to penalize a team for getting what we all know is the best player coming into a season. as i said i will draft wherever and whenever, i just don't see the need to do it that way. kudos to you if you get it changed. if ya don't, then just do the best you can with what you are given. You're not getting it.

It's not about LT.

It's about the 3rd and 5th round picks that fall into the lap of the #1 owner that skews the numbers.

Read the thread from the start.

Read Greg's posts about playing for 20 years.

Rarely does one want to start with a later pick.

Have you EVER played in a 14-team league? 12-team leagues require far less skill.

I have for 20 years and this is needed at this level of play.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:48 pm

Originally posted by BubbasHouse:
Gek -

Nice clear post - fact do present an advantage - period. I favor this 3RR/KDS over ANY other option presented as 1) it's a simplistic way to even draft positioning by pushing the draft ends towards the average middle 2) will be understood by all parties without points/waiver adjustments and most importantly 3) will have people all over the boards debating what draft slot is the BEST draft slot for their KDS positioning.

I'm praying for this kind of an adjustment in the format as it will solidify me (and others) to continue playing with significant investments. The propensity for upper draft positions having an advantage is fact - and has kept my $'s tighter than they will in future plays with this change.

I know I may be in the minority - but I like 3RR/KDS better than BBDS - probably because the value I place on free agent dollars is not as high as others (but don't get me wrong - still needed) - and bidding with points is a bit more of a crapshoot for all.

I'm anxious to see how this works it's way out - but I believe many that would have thrown in the chips because a top 3 pick is only a 21% chance in standard serpentine and those odds suck. We've just metered the value of uper picks and helped that of the lower end which does NOT suck.

Thoughts of Bubba Agree 100% with all your points.

I don't think your in the minority on point #3.

Points is a crapshoot. I overbid in the 28-team league because I had no reference point to bid from.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

renman

Post by renman » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:00 am

Hard Heads,

Though I find aspects of 3RDD/KDS attractive and with more research, information, mock draft analysis, I very well might give complete support to it, I have to give you some information about this board.

-There seems to be a small clique here of posters who seem to think they run the place. Your opinion is just as valued as anyone elses.

-There are a few posters who will be hostile and abrasive if you do not fall into line with their feelings about this specific subject.

-Based on some of the things you read here it seems many of these "fantasy football experts" have a whole TWO years of fantasy football experience. Though The last 2 seasons have shown there were clear measurable advantages being at the top of the board (assuming you could back up your top picks with more good decisions and good team management), I have yet to see any data that spans 10-15 years.

-Many people in high stakes need an excuse for failing. The first thing they will do is look at the owners who got the best players (those players will have gone in the same or similar area of a board in all leagues) and cry foul. No matter how you allocate the draft positions there will be certain players who dominate and will lead their teams to success. One of the most appealing things about 3RR when combined with KDS it allows owners to use more strategy pre-draft.

I know you sound down on 3RR/KDS and I completely understand your sane logic and old school mentality of "you can win from anywhere on the board..." Your opinions are welcome here even if a few louder posters try to make it seem like they are not. I just think you you should give the concept of 3RR/KDS a chance once more data is gathered. You might like it.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:26 am

Hard head
If you agree with renman, he will consider you an honest and real person.

If you disagree with renman, he will consider you hostile, loud, and part of the MB frat.

To see how "on the ball" renman is, please read HIS words in my sig. Thanks
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:31 am

Hard Heads, I know you are not too keen on changing anything regarding the allocation of draft slots but let me ask you this. If you can win from any draft spot (and I believe you can) how does 3rr/kds or any other fair method STOP you from doing that? Other than thinking about where you want to draft from and setting your kds order- and I would venture to say most everyone would still have 1 as their top pick - how would this negatively affect you?
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

renman

Post by renman » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:34 am

Hard heads,

Gekko is (as you will see if you already have not) one of those here to disrupt things.

So far I like 3RR/KDS, you do not hard heads. We already "disagree" and can do so respectfully. Gekko tends to make things up here.

The bottom line is you deserve to know that this board is generally a great setting for fantasy football talk and topics. Just because a small handful of clowns might be abrasive or immature for no reason (like on all message boards), don't let that skew how good a board this can be.

Wow, I just noticed Gekko changed his post signature proving he is DESPERATE to mock... Notice how excited he is over my making a typo? Need I say more about what gekko brings to the table here Hard Heads? lol

Keep posting, most people on this board are great and the guys who run the event are hands on and bring a huge amount of fantasy football experience with them.

[ December 01, 2006, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: renman ]

renman

Post by renman » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:38 am

Hard heads,

One other thing to consider regarding 3RR/KDS is that those who feel they can win from any part of the board and are not paranoid about the occasional advantages from certain parts of the draft board (most recently, from the top)can gain an advantage this way.

Also, based on how the system is now, if you win with a LT this season most will credit the good fortune of having that pick available to you as the reason you won as opposed to getting the respect you deserve. Now, with 3RR one would think that no matter where you drafted from you will get the proper respect and admiration for your success as those who need excuses will have less of them.