Peyton Manning: Will He Be Ready For The Opener?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:33 am

Okay, the NFL's current Ironman had neck surgery this off-season and has been slow to recover. Peyton Manning is THE FRANCHISE in Indy. That offense doesn't move with Curtis Painter at the helm, trust me. And now owner Jim Irsay has tweeted that Colts fans should be "prepared" for an early-season "possibility" without Manning at QB.

"We r evaluating the QB sitch,#18 healing but we must 2 b prepared 4 early season possibility without him,defense has 2 pick it up,big time!," Irsay wrote.

This looks worse than we first thought. Manning is a creature of habit and he is among the best ever because he practices, practices, practices his craft. He doesn't miss practices and just show up on Sundays to play. He works on timing with his wideouts, studies defenses and then adjusts in the game better than any QB I can remember. He's a master of his craft.

So if he misses most of this training camp and even can be ready for the opener, can you trust him to be THE Peyton Manning of old? And do you even think he can be ready and keep his consecutive games started streak going beyond the current 208?

Peyton, thinks he could be ready for the season opener, but..... Here's the latest update there:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/68802 ... ener-doubt

What's your take here? Is Peyton still someone you can count on for 2011? Would you take him if he starts to drop in your draft? Or are you staying away at all costs? Inquiring minds want to know. Let's discuss. Thanks.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:16 am

I heard this trivia yesterday on the radio. Let me know if you have the answer, Colts' fans excluded, though:

Q: Who was the last starting quarterback for the Colts before Peyton Manning took over?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Baker Boy

Post by Baker Boy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:23 am

Really,, that.s easy, Johnny Unitas

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:54 am

Originally posted by Baker Boy:
Really,, that.s easy, Johnny Unitas Close, but no cigar! :D But it is someone that you know and is back in the NFL.

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:07 am

I'd be more inclined to take Manning in a 12 team draft than a 14 team draft because I'd feel comfortable I could still get a quality backup to start the season. Even there, it certainly wouldn't be in the top 10 QB's. For the most part, I'm just staying away from Manning this year.

i remember the talking heads discussing Harbaugh being the QB Manning replaced or being Manning's backup, when the announcement was made that Harbaugh had been named HC of the 49ers.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:10 am

Originally posted by RiFF:
I'd be more inclined to take Manning in a 12 team draft than a 14 team draft because I'd feel comfortable I could still get a quality backup to start the season. Even there, it certainly wouldn't be in the top 10 QB's. For the most part, I'm just staying away from Manning this year.

i remember the talking heads discussing Harbaugh being the QB Manning replaced or being Manning's backup, when the announcement was made that Harbaugh had been named HC of the 49ers. Good points on Manning Rich. Should be interesting to see his ADP during the Main Events.

Correct on Harbaugh. A head coach in the NFL today was the last Colts' starting QB before Manning arrived. Pretty cool. Peyton is one of the greatest of all-time and the only four-time NFL MVP, so I hope everything works out for him. But this is a serious situation and the Colts look like a lottery pick without #18 under center. Very serious for everyone investing in Manning, the Colts' wideouts and Addai. Everyone needs Peyton in the lineup for that to work.

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:29 am

manning just fell to the 4th round in the latest $150 DC

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:43 am

Even the best of the best need reps and this wasn't a sprained ankle we are talking about, this was surgery for a bulging disc in his neck. I am not sure which disc but I know personally how bulging discs in the neck can affect strength and numbness in the arms and shoulder.

For example, when the following cervical nerve is compressed as a result of a herniated disc, patient symptoms may include:
C5 – shoulder pain, deltoid weakness, small amount of shoulder numbness, and/or diminished biceps reflex
C6 – weakness in the biceps and wrist extensors, radiating arm pain/numbness in the thumb, and/or diminished brachioradialis reflex (mid-forearm)
C7 – radiating arm pain/numbness to the middle finger and/or a diminished triceps reflex
C8 – hand dysfunction, pain/numbness on the outside of the hand and/or impaired reflexes in the hand. I would draft him in the 6-7th (12 team) if I already had my core set because his risk is worth the potential reward down the stretch (fantasy playoffs). You will likely have to go QB soon after if you do this but again, risk-reward. Ideally, an end draft slot would be a good spot to target him on one of the later turns going QB-QB (6-7 turn)

I would not risk it before the 6th based on who I have seen available in most drafts. Too much upside remaining to take a chance on a QB who may score the same number of points as several QBs available in later rounds and if you do take him, you have to burn another pick on a QB shortly thereafter.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:44 am

manning just fell to the 4th round in the latest $150 DC Before or after the latest propaganda?

Again, there is also a BS factor when coaches speak let alone owners.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:57 am

Manning is truly one of the all-time greats and one of the most likeable players around. NFL players have the utmost respect for him, and most fans want him to heal up quickly and successfully return to the game. You can count me among them.

On the other hand, there are plenty of people who would like to see the Colts face plant this year. When a team is dominant for so long, there's a certain satisfaction in seeing them struggle, get pasted a few times, and have a taste of their own medicine. (Sorry, Wayne!)

I'm still bitter about that game in 2009 when the Colts pulled Manning in the 3rd quarter while dominating the Jets. Not only did they sacrifice the chance for history and a perfect season, but they essentially threw the game (Painter hasn't changed one iota), artificially distorting and perverting the AFC playoff race that year. To Manning's credit, he was obviously pissed about being pulled, standing on the sideline stone-faced while the Colt offense looked like a Pee Wee football squad---not unlike the current preseason.

I remember becoming a "Colt Hater" (but NOT a Manning hater) after that game. The Colts ended up losing the Super Bowl that year, but that wasn't enough for me. Maybe this is the final payback.

Same way with the Patriots. I really like Tom Brady a lot, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Patriots (and Belichick) being stepped on and taken down a few notches.

[ August 21, 2011, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Shrink Attack ]
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven