NFFC Magazine Auction League

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:58 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
a quote:Originally posted by Jim Tracy:
I meant to title that one to Russ, not Tom.

Jim Jim, if you're asking me to review your team, here are my thoughts...

I think as it turned out, you way overpaid for ADP. This hurt you in quality and depth IMO.

Let's look at your core:

Ryan
ADP
R. Brown
Bowe
Olsen

While Lance Moore may work out, there are questions about his health right now.

I think your depth (or lack thereof) will hurt you come BYE weeks.

I never like to spend so much for my anchor and 29.5% is a hefty sum.

For you to make the $$$ IMO, you'll need continued growth from Ryan, Peterson to finish well ahead of the pack at RB, R. Brown to be a top 10 RB and Moore to be a solid WR2 for you.

These are just my opinions, which most will tell you mean squadoosh around here.

Good luck!

Russ
[/QUOTE]On a per pound basis, he got good value with Bowe. Btw Russ, when did your opinions get upgraded to squadoosh? ;)

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:02 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Here's my roster. Let me know what you think. I'll try to be back later today and offer some of my thoughts:

QB-Donovan McNabb 22
QB-Eli Manning 6

RB-LaDainian Tomlinson 39
RB-Reggie Bush 26
RB-Felix Jones 14
RB-Shonn Greene 5
RB-Antonio Pittman 1

WR-Steve Smith 35
WR-Brandon Marshall 24
WR-Donald Driver 11
WR-Justin Gage 3
WR-Mike Walker 3
WR-Limas Sweed 1
WR-Ben Obomanu 1

TE-Jeremy Shockey 5
TE-Brandon Pettigrew 1

K-Josh Brown 1
D-Washington 1
D-Carolina 1 TK, I like your core of:
McNabb
LT
Bush
S. Smith
Marshall
Driver

That's a nice core to build around.
[/QUOTE]I agree with Russ. I like this core, but you have greater injury concerns with your RB's than other teams. If they stay healthy it will be a productive team.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:19 am

There's no question my RBs have injury issues. If you recall I said that last night. But given the prices I paid for LT and Bush, I have no complaints. I love Felix Jones this year and think he's going to be a breakout pick. So I think he makes for a terrific flex option. I would have preferred a better WR4 than Gage but I didn't have the money to spend on some of the guys I liked (such as Camarillo who I was targeting).

Overall, I think my starting lineup is terrific. I really like my three WRs a lot. Marshall is a strong WR2 in my opinion even with Orton and I didn't overpay to get him. Driver is so undervalued right now it's crazy so I targeted him late and pounced. If LT breaks down again and Bush gets hurt again I'm probably sunk but I'll gamble that those two take me to an undefeated season when the playoffs begin. I'll take my chances from there.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:20 am

Originally posted by Route C:
I'd say ESPN gets a big thumbs up for their auction site. Time to fire up the sats. :D A big THUMBS UP to ESPN.com for creating this great auction online site. I e-mailed my buddies there this morning to tell them how pleased I was with the site and if this will follow for baseball it's a HUGE upgrade for the industry. I'll make a separate post later to encourage people to spread the word about this new site because I think it will be a big benefit to the industry.

Think about it: Nobody else is really offering an auction site, pay or free these days. Now ESPN comes along with a first class free auction site and anyone can now try this format. And once you do, you're hooked. Heck, five minutes into last night's auction I wanted to do it again. Of course, five hours later I wasn't as happy with my team, but only I'm to blame for that. :D

More comments soon, but ESPN gets two THUMBS UP from me on this one.

Mark's suggestions are right on. One more: Speed up the time for selections once everyone is under $30. Twenty-five seconds to wait for someone to nominate and then 25 seconds more for a $1 bid to go through made the last 147 picks take forever. We could have done those in half the time with the right setup.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:27 am

Ok Greg...This means that we need to create a $125 Pay Top 3 Online Auction signup page.

If you build it, we will join.

It looks as if Sunday was the day we had to do it to accomodate myself and a few others. As long as you guys can swing that, you'll have a full league signup up in NO TIME at all.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 am

The auction was great last night, so thanks to everyone who participated. It was a great learning experience again and the data will really help our final magazine projections and dollar values.

As we all learned, RBs are going at their lowest values since we started the NFFC in 2004. At the same time, WRs are going as high as ever before. Here's a quick look at the Top 20 prices at each of those positions from last night's auction:

RBs:
1. Adrian Peterson $59
2. Maurice Jones-Drew $57
3. Matt Forte $48
4. Steve Slaton $45
5. Steven Jackson $44
6. Michael Turner $43
7. Chris Johnson $43
8. Brian Westbrook $42
9. DeAngelo Williams $40
10. LaDainian Tomlinson $39
11. Frank Gore $37
12. Pierre Thomas $35
13. Ronnie Brown $32
14. Clinton Portis $30
15. Marion Barber $29
16. Brandon Jacobs $29
17. Ryan Grant $27
18. Kevin Smith $27
19. Reggie Bush $26
20. Larry Johnson $24

WRs:
1. Calvin Johnson $45
2. Larry Fitzgerald $43
3. Andre Johnson $43
4. Reggie Wayne $42
5. Randy Moss $39
6. Steve Smith $35
7. Greg Jennings $35
8. Anquan Boldin $35
9. Marques Colston $35
10. Wes Welker $35
11. Roddy White $31
12. Dwayne Bowe $31
13. T.J. Houshmandzadeh $27
14. Terrell Owens $26
15. Eddie Royal $25
16. Brandon Marshall $24
17. Chad Johnson $23
18. Braylon Edwards $22
19. Anthony Gonzalez $22
20. Santonio Holmes $21

Thoughts?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:32 am

Originally posted by Diesel Inc.:
Ok Greg...This means that we need to create a $125 Pay Top 3 Online Auction signup page.

If you build it, we will join.

It looks as if Sunday was the day we had to do it to accomodate myself and a few others. As long as you guys can swing that, you'll have a full league signup up in NO TIME at all. As I said last night, I would easily do a pay satellite auction league on this site. However, you'd need a commissioner just in case you need to roll back and thus you'd have to work around Tom's schedule since he gets these dirty duties. If he can do a Sunday auction date, then it's a deal. But work with him to see how we can pull this off and keep everyone happy.

It's a much easier site to commish and roll back, but even with a good site there are needed rollbacks. We had one player bid for $111 instead of $27 last night and that was just a bit high! :D But the site is built; now we need to set up this up for our valued members.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:41 am

Like Rob Benetti said last night, "no matter how many auctions I do I never leave enough money for the end." Well, I can say the same thing. I've done so many of these auctions that you'd think I'd learn to save some bucks for the end, but I'm just not the patient type and that hurt me last night.

I spent $185 on my 10 starters and was hamstrung down the stretch with $15 for nine backups. My depth just isn't there and I can't afford many injuries to this team. I tried to dodge and weave on some $2 bids, but not having an extra buck or two was a killer. My core players are solid, but I'm dead in Week 7 and my depth is way too weak.

But live and learn. My goal was to get two solid backs and a top QB and then shoot for three solid $20 WRs. I should have laid off the QB and saved the extra dough for WRs because better owners than me left with 3-4 top wideouts at fair prices. I was too poor to even find values in the second tier and it was a killer. Such is life.

But great fun all around and I'll work the waiver wire hard and dodge and weave during the bye weeks. And hopefully I can find more points out of my WR corps than I'm expecting. Anyway, here's my team:

QB: Aaron Rodgers $26
QB: Chad Pennington $2

RB: Chris Johnson $43
RB: Marion Barber $29
RB: LenDale White $8
RB: Kevin Faulk $1
RB: Edgerrin James $1
RB: Dominic Rhodes $2

WR: T.J. Houshmandzadeh $27
WR: Steve Breaston $11
WR: Donnie Avery $15
WR: Michael Jenkins $3
WR: Kenny Britt $2
WR: Chaz Schiliens $2
WR: David Clowney $1

TE: Tony Gonzalez $18
TE: Heath Miller $1
D: Baltimore $5
K: Stephen Gostkowski $3

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:46 am

Here are the Top 14 QBs from last night's auction:

1. Tom Brady $34
2. Drew Brees $30
3. Peyton Manning $27
4. Aaron Rodgers $26
5. Kurt Warner $26
6. Philip Rivers $23
7. Donovan McNabb $22
8. Tony Romo $20
9. Matt Schaub $20
10. Carson Palmer $20
11. Matt Ryan $17
12. Jay Cutler $14
13. Matt Cassel $8
14. Matt Hasselbeck $8