CBC Wins Lawsuit Vs. MLBAM

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:34 am

I would like to thank Greg for his efforts on this cause over the years also. What we have both believed true since we met in 1988 was finally decided today in a court of law.

On behalf of the industry and FSTA, lawyer Glenn Colton of Rotoworld.com also wrote a brief that was simply a masterpiece.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:22 am

Originally posted by Team Legacy:
I think the news is great, but I guarantee, its not over by a long shot. Team Legacy - I would consider it nearly over. If the decision is based on uncontested facts submitted by both sides (which it sounds like it was), and she interpreted the law correctly, fantasy sports has a huge victory. The decision, I suspect, is likely to be appealed, but getting it reversed will be very difficult.

This decision will be cited in every other case brought against the fantasy industry.

Consider this an extraordinary day for our love of fantasy sports!

LFW

Post by LFW » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:31 am

From reading the 49 page document it appears CDM won every argument...plus some arguments it didn't even need to win ..but because they would have been considered if CDM lost previous arguments they would have been relevant at that point so the Judge stated what the rulings on them would be as well...and they were in CDMs favor. An appeal would have to over turn multiple layers of decisions. Very very long shot. It's over...just a matter of when MLBam admits it.
The TYRUNT of CDM Fantasy Sports Football Challenge and High Roller Football Contests!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:56 am

Originally posted by bald is beautiful:
quote:Originally posted by Team Legacy:
I think the news is great, but I guarantee, its not over by a long shot. Team Legacy - I would consider it nearly over. If the decision is based on uncontested facts submitted by both sides (which it sounds like it was), and she interpreted the law correctly, fantasy sports has a huge victory. The decision, I suspect, is likely to be appealed, but getting it reversed will be very difficult.

This decision will be cited in every other case brought against the fantasy industry.

Consider this an extraordinary day for our love of fantasy sports!
[/QUOTE]Very interesting observation. There's no question this judge did her research and it's a very strong conclusion by her. This is definitely a precedent setting case, that's for sure.

I'll get back to the signups tomorrow. I've been on the phone ALL afternoon. Wow, what a day.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:21 pm

Originally posted by SNAKE:
MARY ANN L. MEDLER
UNITED STATES MAGISTRATE JUDGE
DOB 07/09/1927

...SNAKE Good find snakie! :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:01 am

In a joint press release today from Major League Baseball Advanced Media and the MLB Players Association, the two entities said they would appeal the CBC vs. MLBAM decision. Here's the context of their release:

"We are disappointed by the Court's decision yesterday in CBC v. MLBPA and MLBAM. We expect to appeal the decision, and remain confident that we will prevail in that effort. We continue to believe that the use of the players, without their consent, to create this type of commercial venture is improper."
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:11 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
In a joint press release today from Major League Baseball Advanced Media and the MLB Players Association, the two entities said they would appeal the CBC vs. MLBAM decision. Here's the context of their release:

"We are disappointed by the Court's decision yesterday in CBC v. MLBPA and MLBAM. We expect to appeal the decision, and remain confident that we will prevail in that effort. We continue to believe that the use of the players, without their consent, to create this type of commercial venture is improper." I just love this one...

"In that same Los Angeles Times story, Daniel Okrent, the person who first wrote the rules of Rotisserie Baseball, described the ruling as “wonderful…The only thing that saddens me about it is that there won’t be a public trial, during which MLB’s incredible greed would have been on public display.”
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:09 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

"We are disappointed by the Court's decision yesterday in CBC v. MLBPA and MLBAM. We expect to appeal the decision, and remain confident that we will prevail in that effort. We continue to believe that the use of the players, without their consent, to create this type of commercial venture is improper." This is great. Let me rephrase "We continue to believe that the entire, established body of law in this area must be wrong. We certainly cannot be wrong, because we are right. So we will appeal, lose again, and then say the same thing to try and save face."

3INTBOY

Post by 3INTBOY » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:34 am

Originally posted by bald is beautiful:
Lawyers are wonderful. Please take note of that.

Sincerely,

Jack - fantasy nut and lawyer Jack, don't push it man!!
;)
3'

What awesome news!