Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Shrink Attack

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by Shrink Attack » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Originally posted by hankstr:
I've got Newton AND Rodgers (Mensa Lite II primetime). Is that a bad problem to have? If trades were allowed, you'd be golden.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

hankstr56

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by hankstr56 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:45 pm

if only Newton could be a flex.

Shrink Attack

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by Shrink Attack » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:37 pm

You're right Andy. And I'll say it again. There's a real obvious reason to me and that is the fact that he is such a moral, upstanding Christian kid of who does not hide his faith. The haters hate because it's easier tearing him down rather than looking in the mirror at their own unhappy lives and questioning their own lifestyles. They want so [much for him to fail and to find something that contradicts his beliefs.

Interesting how you've decided to categorize those who predict he will fail as being unhappy people who can't look in the mirror. Maybe somebody could apply an equally ridiculous generalization to those who predict he will succeed.

Just because someone predicts Tebow will fail in the NFL doesn't make them a "hater". I could care less about his religious beliefs one way or another. He's entitled to them just like everyone else. But there's little doubt in my mind that Tebow became iconic and stood out precisely BECAUSE of his strong public expression of religious belief. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's why people tend to take special note of him. Otherwise, nobody would be so hotly debating his eventual success or failure in the NFL.

Tebow has risen in the public eye because of this faith issue. This issue is a double edged sword. It makes him both popular and unpopular at the same time. He (and his fans) have to take the good with the bad.

Was he a great college QB? Of course. But think of all the QB Heisman winners that flopped in the NFL. He'd barely be a blip on the NFL radar if it weren't for his very publicized faith lifestyle. I'm not critical of it, I'm just calling it like I see it.

The comparison to Peyton Manning is absurd. When I think of Tebow, I can't help thinking of Danny Wuerffel. In 1996, he won the Heisman Trophy and the National Championship as QB of the Florida Gators, just like Tebow did, but was never an NFL caliber QB. My prediction is that Tebow will be much closer to Wuerffel than Manning. Is that being a hater? No. Does it have anything to do with his faith? No. It's just my opinion, right or wrong. And for the record I'm a happy person who looks in the mirror each morning and who doesn't question my own lifestyle.

Cam Newton has already proven himself a capable NFL QB in almost all aspects of the game, including the passing game. Comparing Tebow to Newton at this point is laughable, IMO.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

drago

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by drago » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:25 pm

Excellent points Shrink Attack. Tebow's stellar college career made people aware of him but his unabashed evangelicism is what gets people so stirred up on both sides. Like you, I care little about his religion or politics. I'm a Bronco fan so I'm glad to see him behind center as opposed to the frail, inept Orton. At least there's a little excitement there.
It is hard to deny his charisma and will to win. However, I don't think there is any chance he becomes a long-term starter in the NFL. He just doesn't have the accuracy. I'll enjoy the ride for the next season and a half and then I'm pretty sure he'll move on to other things in his life. He seems like a very hard worker and a good kid so I hope he does well, but I just can't see him overcoming the accuracy issues.

liquidhippo

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by liquidhippo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:49 pm

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:

The comparison to Peyton Manning is absurd.If you would be so kind, could you post specifically the comparison you speak of(or simply point me to it, I searched this thread and could not find any Peyton/Tebow comparison) and what you found so absurd about it? Did the poster state that Tebow was better than Peyton Manning? That they were on equal footing? Did they post or state something that was factually incorrect?

thanks

Tom Kessenich

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:25 am

Originally posted by The Herd:
Excellent points Shrink Attack. Tebow's stellar college career made people aware of him but his unabashed evangelicism is what gets people so stirred up on both sides.
I hadn't given that any thought to be honest and many of the discussions I see about Tebow haven't mentioned that at all. I think it's primarily about how he plays on the field and the stark contrast between how awful he often looks and yet the fact he somehow finds a way to make plays, be a true leader who seems to inspire others and win some games. As I said before, I don't recall seeing anyone like Tebow in terms of a quarterback who has so many glaring mechanical and fundamental flaws as a quarterback and yet somehow finds a way to make things happen on the field.

I believe that is what people continue to grapple with. How does he make things happen positively when his weaknesses are so obvious and apparent? The Miami game only provided more fuel for that debate.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

thegambler

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by thegambler » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:40 am

WOW...didn't see this debate getting the heat it is getting. very interesting.

the one way i would compare tebow to manning and the only way i would compare the two....is there competitiveness. both of them seem like they would die on the field before lose a game.

you see quarterbacks each week sitting on the bench laughin it up while their teams are losing. they get their money and if they win great but if they lose no biggee. they sleep well that night win or lose. i see manning and tebow both losing sleep after a lose.

the guy seems to have more drive then most but he doesn't have the skills yet. hopefully he can get those skills to match his determination. then he would be like manning.....

thegambler

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by thegambler » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:08 am

here is tebow's stats so far in games he has started:

@ oak: 8-16-138 1 td pass.....8-78-1 td rushing(loss)
vs hou: 16-29-308 1 td 1 int pass....10-27-1 td rushing (won)
vs sd: 16-36-205 2 td 2 int pass....13-97-1 td rushing (loss)
@ mia: 13-27-161 2 tds pass....8-65 rushing (won)

so he is 2-2 as a starter and the two games he won he won them in the last minutes of the game. stats aren't great by any means but they aren't horrible.

fantasy wise he has been very good. those stats add up to:

dam good numbers for your starting qb

[ October 26, 2011, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: thegambler ]

Tom Kessenich

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:12 am

He's had a 50% completion rate or below in three of the four starts and he was at 40% in the half against the Chargers this season. That's pretty poor considering the league average is 61 percent.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

thegambler

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by thegambler » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:16 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
He's had a 50% completion rate or below in three of the four starts and he was at 40% in the half against the Chargers this season. That's pretty poor considering the league average is 61 percent. 4 total starts under his belt.....9 total td's and 3ints for his first 4 starts....not bad

[ October 26, 2011, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: thegambler ]