Carson Palmer Traded To The Raiders

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:48 am

The draft is a crapshoot. The Raiders have a chance to do some damage this year in the playoffs. The ? is, can Palmer still play at a decent level after being off all year and doing who knows what in the offseason during the lockout. If the Raiders did their homework on this one, it's a good deal for them. The conditional may never happen, so it could be just a first round pick for Palmer. I would have made the same deal.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:01 am

I agree the draft is a crapshoot and teams often cling to those picks as if they were gold. That said, Palmer's been in decline in recent years and in my opinion is not worth the price they paid. I would've gone after Kyle Orton, who almost certainly would've come at a far cheaper price and likely would produce the same level of production.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Sack

Post by Sack » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:44 am

I know a Bengal fan that is happy! Amazed that the stubborn mule that is Mike Brown was able to see the light. As much as I wanted them to make Palmer sit the entire season for his blatant insubordination, those draft picks were way too good to pass. Be rooting for that Raider playoff game. As far as the Bengals being the other part of that equation? Hmmmm, let's just say as a Bengal lifer I wouldn't be betting on them being the other team!

Green, Dalton, and hardball with Palmer........Wow, amazing. If they had only dumped Marvin it would have been a total sweep.

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:46 am

Originally posted by TOXIC ASSETS:
The draft is a crapshoot. The Raiders have a chance to do some damage this year in the playoffs. The ? is, can Palmer still play at a decent level after being off all year and doing who knows what in the offseason during the lockout. If the Raiders did their homework on this one, it's a good deal for them. The conditional may never happen, so it could be just a first round pick for Palmer. I would have made the same deal. No thats not exactly true. If the Raiders win a playoff game this year it becomes a 1st in 2013. If they don't it remains a 2nd. So worst case the bengals get a 1st and a 2nd for palmer. Either way great deal for the Bengals.

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:47 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I agree the draft is a crapshoot and teams often cling to those picks as if they were gold. That said, Palmer's been in decline in recent years and in my opinion is not worth the price they paid. I would've gone after Kyle Orton, who almost certainly would've come at a far cheaper price and likely would produce the same level of production. So your opinion of Orton has changed? Because last year you kept saying he was a terrible quarterback.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:01 am

Originally posted by Bald is Beautiful:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I agree the draft is a crapshoot and teams often cling to those picks as if they were gold. That said, Palmer's been in decline in recent years and in my opinion is not worth the price they paid. I would've gone after Kyle Orton, who almost certainly would've come at a far cheaper price and likely would produce the same level of production. So your opinion of Orton has changed? Because last year you kept saying he was a terrible quarterback. [/QUOTE]I've noticed that you seem to take issue with every statement I make lately Jack.

In any event, my opinion of Orton hasn't changed. Orton has proven over time that my opinion was correct - he isn't very good. That said, I believe Palmer is in decline, he wasn't very good last season and I don't think he's any better right now than Orton. Perhaps marginally better at most. Given that, I think it would've made much more sense for the Raiders to pursue Orton, who likely could be had for a cheap price right now, as opposed to massively overpaying for Palmer.

What's even more odd is the report that the Raiders' No. 2 QB choice was Vince Young. I'm afraid to ask what they would've given the Eagles for him.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:17 am

I was just surprised to see you say that after you were so critical of Orton last year. I thought it was a reasonable question.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:20 am

Originally posted by Bald is Beautiful:
I was just surprised to see you say that after you were so critical of Orton last year. The two opinions aren't mutually exclusive. I made the same post in my Week 6 thread that I thought the Raiders should pursue Orton. It doesn't mean I suddenly think Orton is great. It simply means that I viewed him as an affordable option who could give them the type of production they need to make the playoffs. It's not like Jason Campbell's a great QB by any stretch so the bar hasn't been set very high. No offense, Jason.

Unless the Raiders make the Super Bowl, this looks like a real bad trade for them. About the only good thing I can see here is Palmer is definitely better than Kyle Boller. Unfortunately, that isn't saying all that much because Boller stinks.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

renman

Post by renman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:22 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
The good news keeps coming for the Bengals - Cedric Benson's suspension has been reduced to one game and a fine. Bad news if you took B. Scott specifically because you thought Benson would end up in jail this year!

renman

Post by renman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:31 am

I do think this is a great (no brainer) move for the Bengals. I am just surprised some at the price. I think the Raiders just paid more for Palmer than the Bears paid for Cutler.

I believe Cutler is younger and has a better arm and the Bengals are in a situation where they really NEEDED to trade Palmer regardless of how idiotic the soundbites from ownership were.

Maybe it will work out for both teams.