Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

TR

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by TR » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:18 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I could be mistaken, but I think it's safe to assume all those TV viewers weren't tuning in cuz they were Willis McGahee fans. :D

And Paul, this is why there's a 50-page thread on Tebow. He's clearly transcended the NFL. He's become a huge story. The fact his presence is helping set TV records is proof of that. This is the second time he's been a part of a record-setting program. The first game against the Patriots also set some TV records.

Tebow brings more viewers. People are tuning in to watch him play and he set Twitter on fire with his game-winning TD on Sunday. Steelers bring the viewers..they are either loved or hated because of their success...pretty much take over and sellout opposing stadiums throughout the country.....tebow couldn't do that in buffalo. I would attribute the ratings for the Steelers game more to it being the Steelers and a competitive game that went to OT, than tebow.

Diesel

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by Diesel » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:53 am

I have to admit, I jumped on the Broncos wagon a bit with the NFFC post season contest by taking McGahee this week. Just in case Denver goes deep...If defense prevails, the RB's may be an important key to this contest.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

bobsgym

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by bobsgym » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:17 am

Originally posted by TR:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I could be mistaken, but I think it's safe to assume all those TV viewers weren't tuning in cuz they were Willis McGahee fans. :D

And Paul, this is why there's a 50-page thread on Tebow. He's clearly transcended the NFL. He's become a huge story. The fact his presence is helping set TV records is proof of that. This is the second time he's been a part of a record-setting program. The first game against the Patriots also set some TV records.

Tebow brings more viewers. People are tuning in to watch him play and he set Twitter on fire with his game-winning TD on Sunday. Steelers bring the viewers..they are either loved or hated because of their success...pretty much take over and sellout opposing stadiums throughout the country.....tebow couldn't do that in buffalo. I would attribute the ratings for the Steelers game more to it being the Steelers and a competitive game that went to OT, than tebow.
[/QUOTE]So I guess a competitive Steelers-Bengals game would have broken records too?????????

My general observations for this debate are that:
1) The pro-Tebow camp is crazy and they know it and ...
2) The anti-Tebow camp is crazy and they DON'T know it.
:D
Wayne Ellis's Waterboy

Shrink Attack

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by Shrink Attack » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
And Paul, this is why there's a 50-page thread on Tebow. He's clearly transcended the NFL. He's become a huge story. Tom, I don't disagree with that at all. You act like I don't understand WHY Tebow is such a big story. Of course I do. The discussion centered around your contention that Cam Newton has gotten more hype than Tebow. That's clearly not the case at all. Everything you've said supports the fact that the Tebow hype machine is unlike anything we've seen in recent memory.

Hype isn't good or bad...it can be positive or negative...it's hype. For anyone to say that Cam Newton has gotten more hype this year than Tebow is ludicrous.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

alanr824

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by alanr824 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:09 pm

Originally posted by TR:

[/QUOTE]The highest rated wild card game in 24 years, in which the Steelers have had many appearances, even close games, down to the wire games, yet they weren't even close to this rating with Tebow. I personally know many people who never watch football, who watched this game, NOT because of the Steelers, but because of Tebow. Ratings don't boom that high because of football fans. This is why the Super Bowl gets such high ratings, because many people who watch, dont follow football at all. Do you think they care who is playing? The highest rated Super Bowl ever by Nielsen was San Francisco vs Cincinnati in 1982. How do you account for the Tebow pass accounting for more tweets than any event of the past 3 years? Nah, its nothing to do with Tebow. Everyone was watching for the Steelers.. Yeah ok.

alanr824

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by alanr824 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
And Paul, this is why there's a 50-page thread on Tebow. He's clearly transcended the NFL. He's become a huge story. Tom, I don't disagree with that at all. You act like I don't understand WHY Tebow is such a big story. Of course I do. The discussion centered around your contention that Cam Newton has gotten more hype than Tebow. That's clearly not the case at all. Everything you've said supports the fact that the Tebow hype machine is unlike anything we've seen in recent memory.

Hype isn't good or bad...it can be positive or negative...it's hype. For anyone to say that Cam Newton has gotten more hype this year than Tebow is ludicrous.
[/QUOTE]I have to agree with you here.. Tebow has definitely had more hype than Newton, yet Newton had such a great season. But, in the end, it is about winning, and Tebow's stretch of winning games and bringing Denver from 1-4 to a playoff appearance and now a playoff win, has a lot to do with his expanded hype.

Shrink Attack

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by Shrink Attack » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:28 pm

Originally posted by Al R G:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:

[/QUOTE]I have to agree with you here.. Tebow has definitely had more hype than Newton, yet Newton had such a great season. But, in the end, it is about winning, and Tebow's stretch of winning games and bringing Denver from 1-4 to a playoff appearance and now a playoff win, has a lot to do with his expanded hype.
[/QUOTE]Exactly correct.

bobsgym

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by bobsgym » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Hoge and others played a big part in the hype.

They set it up by saying he can't play, will never be able to play, and anyone that thinks that Denver isn't better off with Orton (or Quinn) is living in a fantasy land.

How many out there who agreed with Hoge on Aug 5th, think that Denver would be here today if Quinn replaced Orton rather than Tebow?
Wayne Ellis's Waterboy

Shrink Attack

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by Shrink Attack » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:24 pm

Originally posted by BobSquad:
Hoge and others played a big part in the hype.

They set it up by saying he can't play, will never be able to play, and anyone that thinks that Denver isn't better off with Orton (or Quinn) is living in a fantasy land.

How many out there who agreed with Hoge on Aug 5th, think that Denver would be here today if Quinn replaced Orton rather than Tebow? You can count me in with the group who agreed with Hoge, and I acknowledge that the Broncos almost certainly would not be in playoffs without Tebow.

I've been pretty critical of Tebow. And I still don't have confidence in him. We can all dissect the why's, the when's, and the how's but the present reality is that he's done what he's done, the Broncos are where they are, and we'll see him again in the AFC Divisional round. The man has to be given credit for what he has brought to his football team. I was forced to eat a piece of humble pie yesterday, which I don't swallow gladly. Matt Ryan would KILL to have done what Tebow did yesterday.

The issue at hand is sustainability. He's still a great story and all, but I just don't see it lasting an entire season next year. I could be wrong, but I'd never take him as a QB1. I'm not going to rehash all that's been said, but I generally agree with Sandman, TR, and CoMo regarding his measurables and his likelihood of sustained success in the NFL.

QB 11 or so? Maybe. But I think it's more likely he ends up QB16 than QB6. Some have commented that they'd take him as their QB1 and back him up with a strong QB2. That's completely backwards, IMO. He fits the role perfectly as a high risk/high reward QB2. Thus, I'd take Tebow as my QB2, but never as my QB1.

bobsgym

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by bobsgym » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:37 pm

When the wildcat became a part of 10-15 offenses, DC's had to devote time to scheming and practicing those schemes. IF (big IF) the Broncos build for Tebow, how many defenses will put in the time to properly gameplan for something they'll see 0-2 times a year?
Wayne Ellis's Waterboy