Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Tom Kessenich

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:14 pm

I think Tebow has gotten more coverage than Newton as the season's gone along and it's been justified since he was leading Denver to the playoffs. But overall, i don't agree that Newton has lacked hype. He's also been one of the biggest stories of this season. That's why he'll be the runaway winner for ROY.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

CoMoHusker

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by CoMoHusker » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by BobSquad:
Hoge and others played a big part in the hype.

They set it up by saying he can't play, will never be able to play, and anyone that thinks that Denver isn't better off with Orton (or Quinn) is living in a fantasy land.

How many out there who agreed with Hoge on Aug 5th, think that Denver would be here today if Quinn replaced Orton rather than Tebow? You can count me in with the group who agreed with Hoge, and I acknowledge that the Broncos almost certainly would not be in playoffs without Tebow.

I've been pretty critical of Tebow. And I still don't have confidence in him. We can all dissect the why's, the when's, and the how's but the present reality is that he's done what he's done, the Broncos are where they are, and we'll see him again in the AFC Divisional round. The man has to be given credit for what he has brought to his football team. I was forced to eat a piece of humble pie yesterday, which I don't swallow gladly. Matt Ryan would KILL to have done what Tebow did yesterday.

The issue at hand is sustainability. He's still a great story and all, but I just don't see it lasting an entire season next year. I could be wrong, but I'd never take him as a QB1. I'm not going to rehash all that's been said, but I generally agree with Sandman, TR, and CoMo regarding his measurables and his likelihood of sustained success in the NFL.

QB 11 or so? Maybe. But I think it's more likely he ends up QB16 than QB6. Some have commented that they'd take him as their QB1 and back him up with a strong QB2. That's completely backwards, IMO. He fits the role perfectly as a high risk/high reward QB2. Thus, I'd take Tebow as my QB2, but never as my QB1.
[/QUOTE]Very nice post. Couldn't agree more.
Go Big Red!

CoMoHusker

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by CoMoHusker » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Originally posted by Al R G:
quote:Originally posted by TR:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I could be mistaken, but I think it's safe to assume all those TV viewers weren't tuning in cuz they were Willis McGahee fans. :D

And Paul, this is why there's a 50-page thread on Tebow. He's clearly transcended the NFL. He's become a huge story. The fact his presence is helping set TV records is proof of that. This is the second time he's been a part of a record-setting program. The first game against the Patriots also set some TV records.

Tebow brings more viewers. People are tuning in to watch him play and he set Twitter on fire with his game-winning TD on Sunday. Steelers bring the viewers..they are either loved or hated because of their success...pretty much take over and sellout opposing stadiums throughout the country.....tebow couldn't do that in buffalo. I would attribute the ratings for the Steelers game more to it being the Steelers and a competitive game that went to OT, than tebow.
[/QUOTE]The highest rated wild card game in 24 years, in which the Steelers have had many appearances, even close games, down to the wire games, yet they weren't even close to this rating with Tebow. I personally know many people who never watch football, who watched this game, NOT because of the Steelers, but because of Tebow. Ratings don't boom that high because of football fans. This is why the Super Bowl gets such high ratings, because many people who watch, dont follow football at all. Do you think they care who is playing? The highest rated Super Bowl ever by Nielsen was San Francisco vs Cincinnati in 1982. How do you account for the Tebow pass accounting for more tweets than any event of the past 3 years? Nah, its nothing to do with Tebow. Everyone was watching for the Steelers.. Yeah ok.
[/QUOTE]Al, when you're ranking players for next year be sure to save a column for TV ratings and number of tweets. Those will no doubt factor into my player rankings for next year.

Seriously though, I have said from the beginning that what Tebow has done for the NFL this year has been great. I think anything that brings positive hype to a sport that allows us to play this great game of FFB is a great thing.
Go Big Red!

bobsgym

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by bobsgym » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:48 pm

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Bullgod:
I figured I'd throw another log on the fire here...

This from Michael Silver with Yahoo Sports...

“Can you believe ’15’?” one Detroit Lions defender asked after his team’s 45-10 immolation of Tebow and the Denver Broncos. “Come on – that’s embarrassing. I mean, it’s a joke. We knew all week that if we brought any kind of defensive pressure, he couldn’t do anything. In the second half it got boring out there. We were like, ‘Come on – that’s your quarterback? Seriously?’ ”

It would be one thing if this particular defender could be written off as an outlier, but during the time I spent in the Lions’ locker room after the game – and, later, on the phone with various coaches, front-office executives and players around the league – similarly harsh assessments were uttered about the second-year quarterback making his second start of the 2011 season.

There was more carnage towards Tebow's "talents" as a quarterback but I figured this was enough.
Personally I don't think I've ever heard a player bash another player like this. Maybe a little classless some would say but there is some truth in there. They're just haters or arrogant or anti-faith or something of that sort. :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]This week we can call them 'fans'
Wayne Ellis's Waterboy

alanr824

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by alanr824 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:21 pm

Originally posted by CoMoHusker:
quote:Originally posted by Al R G:
quote:Originally posted by TR:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I could be mistaken, but I think it's safe to assume all those TV viewers weren't tuning in cuz they were Willis McGahee fans. :D

And Paul, this is why there's a 50-page thread on Tebow. He's clearly transcended the NFL. He's become a huge story. The fact his presence is helping set TV records is proof of that. This is the second time he's been a part of a record-setting program. The first game against the Patriots also set some TV records.

Tebow brings more viewers. People are tuning in to watch him play and he set Twitter on fire with his game-winning TD on Sunday. Steelers bring the viewers..they are either loved or hated because of their success...pretty much take over and sellout opposing stadiums throughout the country.....tebow couldn't do that in buffalo. I would attribute the ratings for the Steelers game more to it being the Steelers and a competitive game that went to OT, than tebow.
[/QUOTE]The highest rated wild card game in 24 years, in which the Steelers have had many appearances, even close games, down to the wire games, yet they weren't even close to this rating with Tebow. I personally know many people who never watch football, who watched this game, NOT because of the Steelers, but because of Tebow. Ratings don't boom that high because of football fans. This is why the Super Bowl gets such high ratings, because many people who watch, dont follow football at all. Do you think they care who is playing? The highest rated Super Bowl ever by Nielsen was San Francisco vs Cincinnati in 1982. How do you account for the Tebow pass accounting for more tweets than any event of the past 3 years? Nah, its nothing to do with Tebow. Everyone was watching for the Steelers.. Yeah ok.
[/QUOTE]Al, when you're ranking players for next year be sure to save a column for TV ratings and number of tweets. Those will no doubt factor into my player rankings for next year.

Seriously though, I have said from the beginning that what Tebow has done for the NFL this year has been great. I think anything that brings positive hype to a sport that allows us to play this great game of FFB is a great thing.
[/QUOTE]I never meant for the hype to be a reason why you draft him earlier in fantasy. I was just responding to the rediculous post by TR that more people were watching Sundays game for the Steelers, rather than Tebow, and that is why the ratings were so high. I am in complete agreement that he is barely a QB1. I think he has a high upside, thus I think he gets drafted as a QB11 or 12 by a Tebowian. Does he ever become a QB6? Probably not. But that has never been my point. I love football and hate egotistical players who care only about their own stats and could care less about winning. There are many players like Tebow in the NFL, but he exemplifies selflessness and something that is rare among players with so much hype. People forget he had a ton of hype prior to entering the NFL. Ask anyone who lives in Florida. You can include Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees as leaders in the "Team" mentality, which makes them winners. Then, there are Santonio Holmes and players of his calibar, that are embarrassing to themselves and all of us Jets fans. I understand and agree why people have doubts with Tebow. That is never going to matter to Tebow or anyone that supports him. But there is so much ignorance and denial within the band of brothers that choose to downplay everything he does and all I have to say to that is: keep it comin'..... we wouldn't be on page 55 without ya!!

[ January 10, 2012, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Al R G ]

Sandman62

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:06 am

I have an idea though Al... leave the comments about our ignorance out of it, ok? We don't say that Tebowites are ignorant or don't know football or aren't men (like has been said of us).

It's ok to have differing views, but just because we don't agree with you doesn't make us ignorant. Ya know, believe it or not, there IS a chance we're not totally FOS on this guy. ;)

Tom Kessenich

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:13 am

I agree that as we sit here today without any knowledge of Tebow's future improvement that he's best drafted as a low-end QB1 or high-end QB2. However, I'll say again that of the QBs likely to go in Tebow's range, I doubt you're going to find someone with his upside. He's proven he can be as good as QB1 as a starter. Of the QBs who finished outside the Top 10 this season the only ones with comparable upsides would be Rivers and Roethlisberger. So again I'll say that if you're the type of owner who prefers to wait on QBs and go the QBBC route Tebow is the ideal one to target next season. His upside is undeniable.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

CoMoHusker

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by CoMoHusker » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:28 am

I figured this was fitting. Check it out if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD6B1CXX ... ture=share
Go Big Red!

bobsgym

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by bobsgym » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:30 am

Originally posted by CoMoHusker:
I figured this was fitting. Check it out if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD6B1CXX ... ture=share I've already shown this to 8 people.
Wayne Ellis's Waterboy

bobsgym

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by bobsgym » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Originally posted by Sandman62:
I have an idea though Al... leave the comments about our ignorance out of it, ok? We don't say that Tebowites are ignorant or don't know football or aren't men (like has been said of us).

It's ok to have differing views, but just because we don't agree with you doesn't make us ignorant. Ya know, believe it or not, there IS a chance we're not totally FOS on this guy. ;) To be fair you repeatedly referred to them as 'the cult' inferring that they were basing their arguments on blind faith.

From the week 6 free agent pickups through week 16 Tebow (23.02) was #10 in average just behind Rivers (23.43).
Wayne Ellis's Waterboy