WCOFF's Black Friday : How does this impact NFFC 2007 ?

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:48 pm

You guys sound more like jealous leeches jumping at an opportunity to berate the godfather of high stakes fantasy sports...than fellow fantasy football fanatics with sympathy for something that could happen to anyone.

It's not us against them...it's fantasy football.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:18 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
You guys sound more like jealous leeches jumping at an opportunity to berate the godfather of high stakes fantasy sports...than fellow fantasy football fanatics with sympathy for something that could happen to anyone.

It's not us against them...it's fantasy football.

~Lance The issue isn't that this event happened...this could occur anywhere.

The issue is how it was handled. Letting those first bids stand is an atrocity of great magnitude. Adding insult to injury, there appears to be minimal contriteness from the powers that be. Their relative silence is deafening.

As someone on the WCOFF message board said, they really screwed the pooch on this one. Crossovers to the NFFC are inevitable.

I also find it amusing how some on the WCOFF message board are now calling for the NFFC to now convert to 12-team leagues and change the draft date in order to encourage the "mass exodus." As if mimicking the WCOFF should be what the NFFC should be aspiring to. I say to hell with that noise...I play in the NFFC for a reason and we ain't changin'!!
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:23 pm

where were Lenny, Emil, and Jeremy all day ???

Q

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:26 pm

To Be Honest with You.... That was the one thing I would like to see changed, I do think a 12 team league would make the draft much more competitive.
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:30 pm

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:

I also find it amusing how some on the WCOFF message board are now calling for the NFFC to now convert to 12-team leagues and change the draft date in order to encourage the "mass exodus." As if mimicking the WCOFF should be what the NFFC should be aspiring to. I say to hell with that noise...I play in the NFFC for a reason and we ain't changin'!! Bingo! ... I have never seen the benefit to me to try to grow the size of this contest. If Greg and Tom want to grow it ... It's their contest.

I also picked this league out for a reason. If someone wants to play here ... great. If not ... great. Most the people on this thread are WCOFF guys ... are they recruiting each other?
Hakuna Matata!

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:52 pm

Originally posted by SNAKE:
...uh oh, SNAKE feels a 36 page debate on this topic a co min' now...SNAKE ___________________ Lol ____________ Really there is no need for that, But I would like to know how they came to decide on 14, I'm sure there is a very good reason for it, and I would never make an issue of it, I was just stating a preference, you know , like Jennifer Lopez over Jessica Simpson, either way, I'm In..!
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:55 pm

As a NFFC team owner, the following is what made me switch from WCOFF to NFFC.

First of all, my cousin and I played in WCOFF for two years....the first year (2002) and second year (2003). Both years we made it to the League Championship Game (week 12) and lost both years. 2003 was the first year WCOFF gave $2500 to the LCG loser.

Reasons for switch:

1) I like 14 team leagues. I think a 12 team league ends up having too many "all-star" squads in the division. The 14 team format utilizes alot more skill of the owner at the draft as well as during free agency.

2) I think Greg & Tom are stand-up individuals who stand behind what they do and most importantly, they treat my cousin and I with the utmost respect since we are paying customers. Furthermore, they are always open to our ideas and look to make necessary changes to the format that best suits our needs (ie: KDS over random)

3) I like to draft before any games are played. The WCOFF draft is after the Thursday nite game and that is so weak in regard to knowing the outcome of a game before a draft.

4) I have seen the league management company (STATS INC) around personally and used it since 1995 when they were the only ones providing real time scoring on AOL. Their staff and technology to keep everything running smoothly is second to none in the industry.

5) NFFC was first to incorporate multi cities which means I rip right into NYC in 50 minutes the day of the draft. I don't need to spend 1000's on unnecessary entertainment fees and airline flights if I can help it.

That pretty much summarizes my feelings.

[ November 03, 2006, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: FISHER ]
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:09 pm

From the WCOFF message board from Lenny...

Sorry, I was not in the office today to fill in as my usual spokesman position. Wasn't expecting such an eventful day off...

As for what happened: The xpertsports server (as do most servers) reaches out to an international time server in order to set its (xpersports.com) time on site. For reasons still not known, the server got sent back the time as "AM" when it should have been "PM." So the bids were processed at the right time according to the site, but at the wrong time acc0rding to the real world.

As for the resolutions, there seemed several obvious ones:

1. Roll back all the bids and email folks telling them to bid again. This didn't seem practical because there was really no way to ensure that we would get ahold of every person. Guys who had set their bids and were incommunicado would have been impacted the most -- and it seemed to us that would have been the largest number of folks.

2. Roll back the bids and then extend the deadline till Sunday morning -- or even into next week, thus giving everyone a chance to bid on every possible player. In essence, there would have been no FA pickups this week. We thought that this solution wasn't good because at this point in the competition, most guys are looking to pick up a one-week kicker, defense or other fill in. In this case, many teams who already bid on players would have had to play this week with holes in their starting lineups.

3. Let the processed bids stand, and allow for people to bid again until 8 pm to pick up fillers for their starting lineups. Not a perfect solution. And one that has flaws in it, but we thought far fewer flaws than any other. Everyone who had need of a bye week pickup at least has a chance to bid, and the vast majority of bids had already been input.

There was no perfect solution, we just went with the one that we thought sucked the least.

Funny thing...both Greg and Tom are out today as well.

Nice coincidence.

~Lance

[ November 03, 2006, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver