The Bye Week Factor

Gordon Gekko

The Bye Week Factor

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:12 am

not a fan, sorry JP.

all play would solve the entire problem.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Ted's Cracked Head

The Bye Week Factor

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:23 am

1) it levels the playing field by "dumbing down" the game. Part of playing the game is managing thru the bye weeks via the draft and free agency. Why eliminate this critical aspect?

2)Want to eliminate the abanded team problem, then exclude them from participating in the following years. Ban them if they do not compete for the entire season. (you could also have every team play every team each week to fix this)

You could also make each team submit a deposit of say $200 in which they would forfeit if they allow X amount of players to play while on bye weeks (among other defined examples for which a team would lose their deposit). If they do not compete fairly, they lose their deposit. Call it the "Good Faith" deposit.

3) you should not be able to keep a "sleeper" on the bench when your stud has a bye week. You should have to play that sleeper and bench at some point or why even have a bench?

4) TOO easily understood. Falls under the "dumbing down" of the game.

5) It is unique but I would like to see your thoughts on how this would be marketed. What is your catch phrase and selling point?

Bottom line is that you should not get "mystery points" for a player that did not suit up that week. If they do not play, they cannot score.

What if your stud on the bench was dinged? Should you still get points when his bye week came when he was hurting?

The "Luck" of the schedule can be removed if each team plays every other team each week. It would answer to all of your major issues. It would give teams a chance to make up a substantial amount of ground each week that they outscore the rest of their league and as a by product, keep teams interested and competitive longer into the season. Every team would get to play the "Tomlinson" owner when LT is resting making the playing field much more level.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

JerseyPaul

The Bye Week Factor

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:30 am

Originally posted by Ted's Cracked Head:
1)

The "Luck" of the schedule can be removed if each team plays every other team each week. It would answer to all of your major issues. It would give teams a chance to make up a substantial amount of ground each week that they outscore the rest of their league and as a by product, keep teams interested and competitive longer into the season. Every team would get to play the "Tomlinson" owner when LT is resting making the playing field much more level. True, but this suggestion has been studied and the decision by NFFC is not to change the h2h structure to all play.

Given that, doesn't the APPG for byes mitigate (I know, big word) quite a bit of the luck factor?

lumpy463

The Bye Week Factor

Post by lumpy463 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:02 am

Personally I do not like the idea of avg ponts on bye week.

Not to hijack the thread, but I am also against an all play format.

However, I also do not like the present Best Record, Best Points, Next 4 Points format. It is better than last years based on record Greg.

I think Best Record and Most Points are worth rewarding. After that the next 4 Power Ranked teams should qualify. That takes into account points, record, and hth all play.

Derek "Lumpy" Anderson
Derek "Lumpy" Anderson

TamuScarecrow

The Bye Week Factor

Post by TamuScarecrow » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:08 am

I agree with you 100%, Derek. This would satisfy the HTH fans and those like me in favor of ALL-PLAY which is the third criteria to the Power Rankings.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Ted's Cracked Head

The Bye Week Factor

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:23 am

Given that, doesn't the APPG for byes mitigate (I know, big word) quite a bit of the luck factor? Yes, it takes some of the "Luck" out of the game (ref to the schedule that is) but replaces it with "phantom" points. I do not know how you can reward a player for points that NEVER occur? If the player is on a BYE, he is not playing and should not be allowed to be submitted into a lineup. I also do not know how you can make assumptions in this game like the one you are making. You are assuming that a given player would score xxx amount of points if he was actually playing that week. There no guarantees in FF and you should not be guaranteed points when a player is not lacing them up.

Question for you and likely to be answered by Gekko: Doesn't blind bidding on draft slots give each owner the chance to pick and choose who they would like to "miss" during the regular season? You could bid for a slot in which you believe would give you the best chance of "missing" studs. An owner could easily create a chart based on the NFFC schedule and the NFL schedule and come up with weeks that "appear" to be more user friendly based on their projections from said slot.

Gordon Gekko

The Bye Week Factor

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:07 am

Originally posted by Ted's Cracked Head:
Question for you and likely to be answered by Gekko: Doesn't blind bidding on draft slots give each owner the chance to pick and choose who they would like to "miss" during the regular season? how? i assume you mean the first one or possibly two picks overall? if so, and it's a bad thing...schedule will not be published prior to draft
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Ted's Cracked Head

The Bye Week Factor

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:06 am

Does the NFFC use a different schedule each year or does it remain static?

dgamblnman

The Bye Week Factor

Post by dgamblnman » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:30 pm

I have a better idea... lets draft based on last years stats, then use last years games to determine winners for this year. This way, we know how a player did in a game. Once his game is used, we throw it away and use another game they had.

Sorry, but I hope this thread is a joke....

TradeStar28

The Bye Week Factor

Post by TradeStar28 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:20 pm

Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
I have a better idea... lets draft based on last years stats, then use last years games to determine winners for this year. This way, we know how a player did in a game. Once his game is used, we throw it away and use another game they had.

Sorry, but I hope this thread is a joke.... Not a bad idea VG, but let's spruce it up a little...

When we draft based on last years stats...can we use the BBDS system? I will use $1000 on the one spot and take either CPEP or Manning!

:D
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again