NEW DIE HARDS LEAGUE

RedRyder

NEW DIE HARDS LEAGUE

Post by RedRyder » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:43 am

Originally posted by thegambler:
quote:Originally posted by RedRyder:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

I know they believe that promoting this through FFToolbox will bring in a lot of new customers -- which would be great for our entire space -- but that is a free content site and converting those users to high stakes games is never easy. We know that first-hand through our experiences.

I told someone yesterday I never heard of FFToolbox. I thought I heard of everyone, guess not. They must have one heck of a mailing list...
[/QUOTE]i guess you never heard of emil kadlec either???
[/QUOTE]Emil is my friend.

Not sure your point...please enlighten me. Does Emil own FFToolbox? I don't think so...
@RedRyder

alanr824

NEW DIE HARDS LEAGUE

Post by alanr824 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:42 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
I listened to a podcast in which Scott Atkins was interviewing Emil about the contest. My understanding was that they have until July to change the prize structure. So if signups aren't going well then they can back off the grand prize. My guess is that you don't lose that many players if forced to do this. The upside is the attention you get starting out offering this amount. Plus if it works then that's even better.

Wayne Ok, what if 100 people are signed up for the main event by the end of July, all at $1,740 each? Considering they need 700+/- entries, in order for the event to guaranty the prize structure, what are they going to do, change the prize structure midstream, with 100 people already paying in $1,740, thinking they have a chance at $200,000? Word of advise for Emil, ditch the Main Event and mid level contest... Do the $300-350 contest and see how things go the first year. If they do well and start to build up a base of people, then move to the next level. Does anyone else see the backwards nature of their idea, in light of the economy and state of the industry? Hopefully, they will do their due diligence and try out the market first, before rolling out unreachable prizes. This is a backwards mentality, in an industry that took a huge step backwards, last year. Maybe I will be proven wrong. Sure the fantasy football industry is huge.. but $1,740 league fees wipe out 99% of the industry, and leaves the HSFF player, who is, to say the least, still in a haze from last year's tragedy.

[ February 15, 2012, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Al R G ]

BLACKHAND

NEW DIE HARDS LEAGUE

Post by BLACKHAND » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:05 am

i do not know emil or ian so i cant say anything good or bad about them. from what i hear they are standup guys. one thing i DO KNOW is this industry can not take another hit that happened with wcoff. i think that would kill hsff. there is no coming back from another hit like that. for that reason alone i wish them luck.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

alanr824

NEW DIE HARDS LEAGUE

Post by alanr824 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:18 am

And in kind of a related subject, Dave from the FFPC made this statement after the backlash of responses regarding the change in FAAB:

"Given the fantasy player response to the NFL's decision to offer Thursday games, we may need to re-consider some of the guaranteed prize structures and payout percentages we are currently offering. If players are going to substantially cut down on leagues, we cannot risk exposing ourselves to such reduced player participation."

Maybe it was frustration from the threats of players cutting down on leagues due to the Wed or Wed/Fri FAAB, or maybe it was a realistic view of the ever changing HSFF climate. Whatever the reason, it just goes to show, caution in this industry is coming from all angles, and although I don't feel the FAAB decision is going to make a lot of owners cut down on leagues, it might be a sign of things to come in this industry..Dave's outlook, though pessimistic, is still very smart. I would rather be cautious and succeed to a lesser extent, than careless and fail..

Shrink Attack

NEW DIE HARDS LEAGUE

Post by Shrink Attack » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:40 am

Originally posted by Al R G:
And in kind of a related subject, Dave from the FFPC made this statement after the backlash of responses regarding the change in FAAB:

"Given the fantasy player response to the NFL's decision to offer Thursday games, we may need to re-consider some of the guaranteed prize structures and payout percentages we are currently offering. If players are going to substantially cut down on leagues, we cannot risk exposing ourselves to such reduced player participation."

Maybe it was frustration from the threats of players cutting down on leagues due to the Wed or Wed/Fri FAAB, or maybe it was a realistic view of the ever changing HSFF climate. Whatever the reason, it just goes to show, caution in this industry is coming from all angles, and although I don't feel the FAAB decision is going to make a lot of owners cut down on leagues, it might be a sign of things to come in this industry..Dave's outlook, though pessimistic, is still very smart. I would rather be cautious and succeed to a lesser extent, than careless and fail.. Honestly, I thought he was being sarcastic when he posted that comment. I might be wrong, but that's how it struck me. It was posted in response to and within the flow of other posts, so it's probably not fair to pluck it out and post it here out of context.

The tenor, tone, and meaning of written communications (as opposed to verbal communications) are often misinterpreted without other cues, hence the need for emoticons. So I might be way off base. He can speak for himself, though...
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

thegambler

NEW DIE HARDS LEAGUE

Post by thegambler » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:47 am

Originally posted by RedRyder:
quote:Originally posted by thegambler:

I know they believe that promoting this through FFToolbox will bring in a lot of new customers -- which would be great for our entire space -- but that is a free content site and converting those users to high stakes games is never easy. We know that first-hand through our experiences.

I told someone yesterday I never heard of FFToolbox. I thought I heard of everyone, guess not. They must have one heck of a mailing list...

Not sure your point...please enlighten me. Does Emil own FFToolbox? I don't think so...
[/QUOTE]defensive aren't we.....figured if you never heard of the site maybe you never heard of emil either.....it is a pretty popular site.

can't be much of a freind if you are trashing his new site already

BillyWaz

NEW DIE HARDS LEAGUE

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:47 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by da bears:
quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:
I've known about this for a couple months now. It's the venture Ian and Emil moved onto after the WCOFF deal fell through. A couple other interesting individuals are involved.

I'll admit I'm a little surprised they're making such a big commitment while going after an already very crowded NFL opening weekend for live drafts. Yeah going up against the NFFC and the FFPC on the NFL opening weekend doesn't seem like a bright move at all.
[/QUOTE]All I know is that we're going to be on BOTH weekends this year in multiple cities and in Las Vegas on Opening Weekend we'll have drafts scheduled all day Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
[/QUOTE]Greg,

Has the "schedule" been released yet and I missed it??? :eek:

alanr824

NEW DIE HARDS LEAGUE

Post by alanr824 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:51 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Al R G:

Maybe it was frustration from the threats of players cutting down on leagues due to the Wed or Wed/Fri FAAB, or maybe it was a realistic view of the ever changing HSFF climate. Whatever the reason, it just goes to show, caution in this industry is coming from all angles, and although I don't feel the FAAB decision is going to make a lot of owners cut down on leagues, it might be a sign of things to come in this industry..Dave's outlook, though pessimistic, is still very smart. I would rather be cautious and succeed to a lesser extent, than careless and fail.. Honestly, I thought he was being sarcastic when he posted that comment. I might be wrong, but that's how it struck me. It was posted in response to and within the flow of other posts, so it's probably not fair to pluck it out and post it here out of context.

The tenor, tone, and meaning of written communications (as opposed to verbal communications) are often misinterpreted without other cues, hence the need for emoticons. So I might be way off base. He can speak for himself, though...
[/QUOTE]Yes, I completely agree it was probably posted as sarcasm and frustration, and I was not trying to drop a bomb. I think you missed my point.

Greg Ambrosius

NEW DIE HARDS LEAGUE

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:23 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by da bears:
quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:
I've known about this for a couple months now. It's the venture Ian and Emil moved onto after the WCOFF deal fell through. A couple other interesting individuals are involved.

I'll admit I'm a little surprised they're making such a big commitment while going after an already very crowded NFL opening weekend for live drafts. Yeah going up against the NFFC and the FFPC on the NFL opening weekend doesn't seem like a bright move at all.
[/QUOTE]All I know is that we're going to be on BOTH weekends this year in multiple cities and in Las Vegas on Opening Weekend we'll have drafts scheduled all day Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
[/QUOTE]Greg,

Has the "schedule" been released yet and I missed it??? :eek:
[/QUOTE]For us? No, not yet. Still working on hotels and locations, etc. We really need to figure out the East Coast situation before announcing anything. We're really running into roadblocks with all of our past locations. That's getting to be a problem we haven't solved yet.

We have the first draft of our new site finished and we'll update the prizes links, FAAB decision, all rules, etc. before unveiling. We can certainly talk about our plans and some of our offerings in each location ahead of time, but I really need to lock down space in certain areas first.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

NEW DIE HARDS LEAGUE

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:27 am

Originally posted by thegambler:
quote:Originally posted by thegambler:

[/QUOTE]defensive aren't we.....figured if you never heard of the site maybe you never heard of emil either.....it is a pretty popular site.

can't be much of a freind if you are trashing his new site already
[/QUOTE]This is a ridiculous return comment. I think Jules knows Emil pretty well and she's not trashing anything. If anyone is defensive it's you. I'm with Jules, honestly I'd never heard of FFToolbox before now. Glad it's popular and hopefully more folks enter the HSFF space through them. But if thousands of HSFF players have been there all this time and haven't found the other contests, then obviously we all were doing something wrong.

Now treat our ladies and all members on the boards a bit nicer.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius