Rules Proposals For 2008

Nag'

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by Nag' » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:41 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
2. There has been a suggestion to allow official scoring changes past Wednesday at noon EST. For whatever reason, Elias does make changes on Thursday's, so I understand the passion to change the official deadline. That being said, having finality at a reasonable time during the week is also good. Again, I'll listen to the debate and we can make this change soon.Greg, I had some good conversations last month with NFL.com and the Elias Sports Bureau. I have learned that our Wednesday 12pm deadline will almost never incorporate the weekly stat changes -- Elias makes their final weekly revisions on Wednesday afternoon, and then submits these to NFL.com either late Wednesday or early Thursday. To wit, here is a listing of the dates and times that changes were posted in 2007:

Week 2: Thu Sep 20 11:39am
Week 3: Fri Sep 28 5:19am
Week 4: Thu Oct 4 12:20pm
Week 5: Thu Oct 11 12:10pm
Week 6: Thu Oct 18 2:36pm
Week 7: Thu Oct 25 10:36am
Week 8: Thu Nov 1 11:39am
Week 9: Thu Nov 8 10:08am
Week 10: Thu Nov 15 12:19pm
Week 11: Thu Nov 22 2:53am
Week 12: Thu Nov 29 9:56am
Week 13: Thu Dec 6 11:46am
Week 14: Thu Dec 13 12:27pm
Week 15: Thu Dec 20 10:52am

I believe based on this information we can come up with an appropriate deadline that will not interfere with free agent pickups or first-game-of-week deadlines. I would propose the following timetable:

Weeks 1-11 (no free agent pickups before Friday 9pm, no early games) -- stat change deadline is Thursday 6pm

Weeks 12-13 (Wednesday free agent pickups, Thursday games) -- stat change deadline is Wednesday 6pm. This will most likely not incorporate all the changes for the week, but is necessary for the early FAAB deadline

Weeks 14-16 (no FAAB, Thursday games each week) -- stat change deadline is Thursday 6pm

In reviewing the weekly changes, most would not be relevant to the NFFC (e.g. 2 players getting 1/2 a sack becomes 1 player getting a whole sack). However, every point can be critical -- I lost by 0.25 in Week 12 in the Ultimate League, and missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker.

Let's try to get this change implemented for 2008.
[/QUOTE]Good work, and it's what I've been saying since October.

One thing I'd like to say with regards to Weeks 12-13. I think the importance of getting the stats right every week FAR OUTWEIGH the risk that a post-waiver stat change would impact a matchup and have an impact on the owner's BB decisionmaking in those 2 weeks (I assume this is the reason for your suggestion of the deadline being on Wednesday). I say make the deadline Thursday night EVERY week. As I've mentioned in the past, Antsports and WCOFF have allowed stat changes after their BB run for years and I have never heard it being an issue. Making sure a team gets their righfully earned points is the most important goal. Everything else is secondary.
For Players. By Players.

pizzatyme

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by pizzatyme » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:42 pm

Here's a proposed change that will never fly. We need to go to a Bonzai draft. 3RR just doesn't go far enough to even the playing field.

The winner of both NFFC and WCOFF drafted from the #1 slot and had LT.

Say what you want, but not even monster years from teams that had Brady/Moss/ADP or some combination of the 3 could compete when it came down to it.

I know this will be the unpopular suggestion as most fall in marching order, but I wanted to offer it.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

mikeybok

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by mikeybok » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:51 pm

Originally posted by RiFF:
Not that I believe its material, but I'd favor -2 for Int's and fumbles. LOL ... lost two games by "1" point this year ... but I agree it's not that big of a deal.

I like -2 for INTs and Fumbles lost. I could easily see -3 ... but -2 would be good. If LT had 1 TD's and 3 fumbles lost ... in the real world ... that would be a very bad day ... not + THREE POINTS plus yardage points to boot
Hakuna Matata!

mikeybok

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by mikeybok » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:54 pm

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
Here's a proposed change that will never fly. We need to go to a Bonzai draft. What is a Bonzai draft
Hakuna Matata!

ultimatefs

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:13 pm

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
Here's a proposed change that will never fly. We need to go to a Bonzai draft. 3RR just doesn't go far enough to even the playing field.

Say what you want, but not even monster years from teams that had Brady/Moss/ADP or some combination of the 3 could compete when it came down to it.

I know this will be the unpopular suggestion as most fall in marching order, but I wanted to offer it. ummmm.. the guy that won here had monster week from NYG, Stecker, K.Watson and D.Anderson. They all outscored (play 4+ qtrs in 2 weeks) LT, Week 16. Three of those guys were FAAB bids. What in the HELL does that have to do with the DRAFT, 3RR, or BONZAI?

He did not win because he drafted first. He won because he managed his team best and his players came through when it counted.

IMO, He won mainly because Stecker had two GREAT WEEKS. That was the #1 killer. #2 was NYG D Week 16.

He also made the RIGHT call on QB Week 15 (Kitna) and 16 (Anderson) (They netted +30.85 over 2 weeks)

He also caught a break Week 16 with Rudi out and Watson in. Kudos to him for drafting Watson, a player that ANY draft position could have had.

Maybe if people used their FAAB as well as this guy, they wouldn't rely on other things for excuses. The players here are so good, it DOES and CAN take as many breaks as this to win the title. It's the nature of the beast.

Bonzai w/o 3RR would be just like 2006. I like Bonzai, it needs 3RR, and it will never happen.

[ December 26, 2007, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: JohnZ ]
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Shrink Attack

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by Shrink Attack » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:30 am

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
quote:Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
Here's a proposed change that will never fly. We need to go to a Bonzai draft. What is a Bonzai draft [/QUOTE]Here's a link to a FBG article that describes it:

****://subscribers.footballguys.com/2007/07pasquino_trr12.php

Essentially, the 3rd round is flipped like in 3RR, but unlike what we're doing now, the serpentine order that follows doesn't flip. The draft order looks like this:

1-12
12-1
12-1
12-1
1-12
12-1
1-12
etc

[ December 26, 2007, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Shrink Attack ]
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

BillyWaz

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:40 am

Originally posted by JohnZ:

I know this will be the unpopular suggestion as most fall in marching order, but I wanted to offer it. ummmm.. the guy that won here had monster week from NYG, Stecker, K.Watson and D.Anderson. They all outscored (play 4+ qtrs in 2 weeks) LT, Week 16. Three of those guys were FAAB bids. What in the HELL does that have to do with the DRAFT, 3RR, or BONZAI?

He did not win because he drafted first. He won because he managed his team best and his players came through when it counted.
[/QUOTE]Couldn't agree with this more John. LT WAS NOT the reason that he won the 100K. All the 3RR naysayers will say 3RR didn't matter, but as I have stated before, it is ONE year.

Give it some time, and then we will see if 3RR truly works or not. NO ONE would like to be judged on their ability solely after one season, yet some people want to judge 3RR after just one.

I simply don't get it. :confused:

BillyWaz

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:44 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
Here's a proposed change that will never fly. We need to go to a Bonzai draft. What is a Bonzai draft [/QUOTE]Here's a link to a FBG article that describes it:

****://subscribers.footballguys.com/2007/0...quino_trr12.php

Essentially, the 3rd round is flipped like in 3RR, but unlike what we're doing now, the serpentine order that follows doesn't flip. The draft order looks like this:

1-12
12-1
12-1
12-1
1-12
12-1
1-12
etc
[/QUOTE]I would venture that EVERYONE would select a "back spot" for their KDS if this was to happen (and then we are back to the same problem before KDS and 3RR).

joetreff

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by joetreff » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:32 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
1) I'm in favor of -2 points for both INT's and Fumbles, since all TD's are 6 points. Any scoring system that allows 6 INT's in one game to be surpassed by a single 1-yard TD pass (6.05 points) must be changed. If Passing TD's were only 4 points, then I might have a different opinion.

2) Since Elias makes stats changes as late as Thursday, it hurts the Event to not consider those changes. A deadline of either Friday morning or Friday noon seems reasonable to me.

3) This is the rule I'd really like to see changed: I think that Team Defenses really get short-changed in the "points allowed" formula. Shutouts in the NFL are rare, and should nicely rewarded. And to only get 8 points by allowing nothing but a field goal all game? And to get only 4 points for allowing 10 points all game? Heck, a WR gets 4 points for a single 30 yard reception in garbage time.

And consider this: Team Defenses get penalized when that team's OFFENSE allows a turnover to be returned for a score. So I think we should either eliminate that type of score as counting against the Team Defense, or we should modify the current point system. 1. -2 for Ints is fair, having 1TD and 200 yards with 4 Ints getting you 12 points is silly. 8 is a little better.

2. I see the need for an "official deadline" so that teams know for sure whether they won or lost, but if W-L can take a backseat to points scored then there may be an argument for no deadline for scoring changes.

3. Last year (with the most replayed quote from Dennis Green) the Cardinals should have beaten the undefeated Bears and the Cardinals D gave up 0 points. But the score ended 21-19 or something...I'd love the idea of changing points allowed to total yards allowed. Under 350 total yards =12 points, unedr 400 = 8 points etc...

We are considering changing points allowed to yards allowed in my other league just because it is a much better measure of a defense.

Gordon Gekko

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:33 am

Go getta had a good run and should be applauded for their team management skills and their success!!

Winning the 100K requires a lot of things to go right, and yes, LT2 (draft slot #1) did play a role in their 100K success. We all may differ on how much he contributed to their success, but he WAS one of the reasons they one.

Again, good job guys!
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?