Rules Proposals For 2008

ultimatefs

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by ultimatefs » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:22 am

Originally posted by Route C:
John....you know I like you and respect your opinion. I think we both want to improve the game.
We just see this a little differently. It's not that high on my priority list. It ranks right below limiting snakes daily posts (kidding)

Honestly I'd rather see:

19 roster spots
Alter the auction qualifiers
1.5 or 2x average scores handicapping playoffs

To me...these things would improve an already good game. ditto here... no worries...

I don't think there should be any "x" factor. I don't like artificial BS. If the team is good, it doesn't need any help.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

ultimatefs

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by ultimatefs » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:43 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
JohnZ, just to play Devil's Advocate to your point, it seems even more unfair if the LT owner this year also got the benefit of luck in a random schedule draw and didn't have to play the 1.03 slot.

Therefore, this example would have allowed the LT owner the chance to miss playing a Gore or Westbrook, therefore giving an even greater perceived advantage when drafting at 1.01. I see your point, but your still missing mine.

I missed the NYG D only Week 9. Those guys weren't off that week.

Also, there's no advantage as the #3 slot went to about 3-5 players in all the leagues. There is no KDS play here.

The only problem is when there are 100% known picks before the draft. LT and SJ this year.

Maybe it won't be a problem next year. Maybe LT still goes #1 in all leagues again. Time will tell.

It's not an even playing field when someone knows BEFORE the draft that they don't have an equal chance of playing against any player.

I like to nip problems before they become huge ones. Leave it like it is, and someday, someone will go 10-3 and be 8th in points, and four other teams with more points will go 9-4, and then someone will see he gained an easy win on the LT bye week and robbed someone of money they gained SOLELY because of NFFC schedule manipulation, and NOT their talent of judging the skills of players like E.Graham (just for RC LOL)
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Diesel

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by Diesel » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:35 am

Rules Change:

I've proposed a cage match to choose draft slots, numerous times and haven't gotten any backing to it. Can we please put this to a vote? lol C'mon, after beating the crap out of each other 14 times, in each league, to see who gets what draft slot, it will be all the more worth it.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

King of Queens

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by King of Queens » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:48 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
Rules Change:

I've proposed a cage match to choose draft slots, numerous times and haven't gotten any backing to it. Can we please put this to a vote? lol C'mon, after beating the crap out of each other 14 times, in each league, to see who gets what draft slot, it will be all the more worth it. First match: KOQ vs. renman

{{{burp}}}

Raiders

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by Raiders » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:36 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Diesel:
Rules Change:

I've proposed a cage match to choose draft slots, numerous times and haven't gotten any backing to it. Can we please put this to a vote? lol C'mon, after beating the crap out of each other 14 times, in each league, to see who gets what draft slot, it will be all the more worth it. First match: KOQ vs. renman

{{{burp}}}
[/QUOTE]Easy renman, after running around the cage KOQ gets tired and taps out. :D

Next up?

[ December 28, 2007, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Raiders ]

Shrink Attack

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by Shrink Attack » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:01 am

Originally posted by JohnZ:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by JohnZ:
quote:Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
[/QUOTE]Win the league with your skill, not some fluky ass schedule manipulation.

[/QUOTE]Don't you rely on schedule manipulation when choosing RB's who have soft run schedules...dome games in Dec. etc.....what's the difference....you're still using a known schedule to manipulate your draft.

To me this is splitting hairs. Too much changes during the course of a season to think you can gain a sidnificant advantage. It is however....a nice bit of knowledge to make the draft planning more fun.

I like knowing....but I wouldn't take my ball and go home if I didn't.
[/QUOTE]Apples to apples please....

Your comparing NFL schedule to NFFC schedule. Not that same thing.

Checking the NFL schedule for the things you mentioned and even more things is and had always been normal.

Trying for a W based MOSTLY on the SCHEDULE, and not YOUR SKILL in picking players for THIS AMOUNT OF MONEY should be avoided if possible.

For every positive rule change made, there are usually multiple benefits, and there is always a minor negative issue that crops up, and this cropped up when KDS was implemented.

Before KDS, this was never an issue, and it should go back to NOT being an issue by mixing up he schedule.

Having someone win a H2H league SIMPLY by avoiding a certain player or two simply is not right.

The goal of a game operator is to create an EVEN playing field, and allowing this now can slightly alter that.

Your need for extra strategy to win is not greater than having the playing field even for all.
[/QUOTE]I understand your point about apples to apples, but it's all in the same fruit group here.

I don't see any tangible difference between a strategy based on using the NFL schedule to pick players who will be playing in a dome come Fantasy playoff time, versus a strategy based on a Fantasy schedule. It's not luck at all, but could actually be seen as a measure of skill IMO. I don't see how this somehow creates an "uneven playing field". Everyone has the same information and they can choose to use it or not.

Personally, I choose NOT to use it but I don't think others should be prevented from doing so. I think it's a bad strategy to base your KDS preference on avoiding going up against a player instead of choosing the draft position that gives you the best chance to draft your best overall team. Hell, I would MUCH rather go up against a player who bases his KDS preferences on avoiding LT or Brady rather than a player who bases his KDS preference on a well thought out overall drafting strategy.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

pizzatyme

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:11 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
[/QUOTE]Win the league with your skill, not some fluky ass schedule manipulation.

[/QUOTE]Don't you rely on schedule manipulation when choosing RB's who have soft run schedules...dome games in Dec. etc.....what's the difference....you're still using a known schedule to manipulate your draft.

To me this is splitting hairs. Too much changes during the course of a season to think you can gain a sidnificant advantage. It is however....a nice bit of knowledge to make the draft planning more fun.

Checking the NFL schedule for the things you mentioned and even more things is and had always been normal.

Trying for a W based MOSTLY on the SCHEDULE, and not YOUR SKILL in picking players for THIS AMOUNT OF MONEY should be avoided if possible.

For every positive rule change made, there are usually multiple benefits, and there is always a minor negative issue that crops up, and this cropped up when KDS was implemented.

Before KDS, this was never an issue, and it should go back to NOT being an issue by mixing up he schedule.

Having someone win a H2H league SIMPLY by avoiding a certain player or two simply is not right.

The goal of a game operator is to create an EVEN playing field, and allowing this now can slightly alter that.

Your need for extra strategy to win is not greater than having the playing field even for all.
[/QUOTE]I understand your point about apples to apples, but it's all in the same fruit group here.

I don't see any tangible difference between a strategy based on using the NFL schedule to pick players who will be playing in a dome come Fantasy playoff time, versus a strategy based on a Fantasy schedule. It's not luck at all, but could actually be seen as a measure of skill IMO. I don't see how this somehow creates an "uneven playing field". Everyone has the same information and they can choose to use it or not.

Personally, I choose NOT to use it but I don't think others should be prevented from doing so. I think it's a bad strategy to base your KDS preference on avoiding going up against a player instead of choosing the draft position that gives you the best chance to draft your best overall team. Hell, I would MUCH rather go up against a player who bases his KDS preferences on avoiding LT or Brady rather than a player who bases his KDS preference on a well thought out overall drafting strategy.
[/QUOTE]All the better if you can do both things at once. Since these 2 actions are not mutually exclusive.

Most would not set KDS just to avoid playing L.T. However, one could easily decide they prefer to avoid L.T. over say picking 4th overall by KDS preference.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Shrink Attack

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by Shrink Attack » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:38 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:

[/QUOTE]All the better if you can do both things at once. Since these 2 actions are not mutually exclusive.

Most would not set KDS just to avoid playing L.T. However, one could easily decide they prefer to avoid L.T. over say picking 4th overall by KDS preference.
[/QUOTE]Well, as I said before, anyone is free to use that strategy if they wish and I defend their right to do so. But personally I can think of numerous factors that I would be considering first when setting my KDS preference that would trump the strategy of trying to avoid having to face a player.

In fact, I would place that strategy just ahead of a coin flip in terms of my own decision-making steps.

But to restate my position, the purpose of my post was to defend people's ability to use that strategy if they so choose, not to debate the merits of using it in the first place.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

BillyWaz

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:54 am

While I wouldn't mind seeing a random schedule to alleviate any potential problems forward, it is hardly something that is a priority, and IS a case of micromanaging IMO.

Like Paul said, if someone wants to gameplan around the schedule, so be it. Where one person misses LT, another may miss AP and T.O for example.

Who is better off?

Sure it is nice, but it is similar to building your team at the draft for weeks 14-16. Too many different factors (injuries, not performing to expectations, etc.) to make it work for you.

[ December 28, 2007, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

pizzatyme

Rules Proposals For 2008

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:59 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnZ:
[qb]

[/QUOTE]Well, as I said before, anyone is free to use that strategy if they wish and I defend their right to do so. But personally I can think of numerous factors that I would be considering first when setting my KDS preference that would trump the strategy of trying to avoid having to face a player.

In fact, I would place that strategy just ahead of a coin flip in terms of my own decision-making steps.

But to restate my position, the purpose of my post was to defend people's ability to use that strategy if they so choose, not to debate the merits of using it in the first place.
[/QUOTE]And to clarify my position. I'm not saying that avoiding L.T. Is second on the checklist when trying to decide KDS, but it certainly can and should be one of the items.

While I'd put its signifigance a little higher than coin toss, I think we're basically saying the same thing.

2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.