Live Scoring

lichtman

Live Scoring

Post by lichtman » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:24 am

as one of the founding fathers of NFL.com (no kidding) I have to unfortunately inform you that there is nothing official about the play-by-play. No stats are official until the gamebook is released.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

JerseyPaul

Live Scoring

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:33 am

Greg,

The most important change you should make is something like:

"Any plays not specifically covered in the scoring rules will be handled at the discretion of National Fantasy Football Championship management, whose decisions will be final and binding.

Gordon Gekko

Live Scoring

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:35 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
But in creating the rules, we really didn't decipher where the turnovers would take place and we did not list negative points for defense or special teams. In hindsight, I guess that could have been done as there will be turnovers in games from special teams players that won't be attributed to anyone. It seems pretty clear.

Taken from the rules
6. Scoring: Players can accumulate points in a number of ways:
PASSING:
minus 1 point for every interception and fumble lost

RUSHING:
minus 1 point for every lost fumble

RECEIVING:
minus 1 point for every lost fumble

KICKING:

DEFENSE/SPECIAL TEAMS:
1 point for every sack
2 points for every interception or opponents' fumble recovery
6 points for every touchdown (interception return, defensive fumble return, punt or kickoff return, blocked field goal return, blocked punt return). All special teams and defensive points are awarded to the team responsible, not the individual player.
2 points for every safety
6 points for a shutout by the entire team
3 points for allowing 2-7 points by the entire team

Branch was not passing, rushing, receiving or kicking. I'm pretty sure he was special teams. ;) Under special teams, I didn't see anything about -1pt for lost fumbles. Maybe I missed it, but the rules seem clear.

[ September 10, 2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Live Scoring

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:37 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
Greg,

The most important change you should make is Why is a change needed? I'm not an attorney, but the scoring rules seemed crystal clear to me.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

JerseyPaul

Live Scoring

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:47 am

This is great.

One game into the season and we're buzzing on the boards. This is really going to be fun. Less fun if I lose by a point, but still fun.

Go get him Gordon, I'm right behind you.

La Jolla

Live Scoring

Post by La Jolla » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:33 am

"But as the rules stand now, Branch is the one who fumbled and it's attributed to him even though it happened on a special teams play."
(gregs words)

"All special teams and defensive points are awarded to the team responsible, not the individual player."
(official rules)

seems crystal clear to me greg, players cannot be charged with fumbles on special teams. this needs to be changed.

nnoy

Live Scoring

Post by nnoy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:07 am

The problem is that the official stats do not put an asterisk on the fumble. The box score does NOT state “*Note this was special teams fumble.”

A fumble is a fumble, is a fumble. We all watched it happen last night, however there will be other games that are not nationally televised where the same could occur. There is NO way that you can determine when the fumble occurred by reading the box score. The stats for the league are derived from the box scores. Therefore, given that absent a play-by-play review for every single fumble for the entire season, any fumble that occurs and is lost will have to be counted as –1.

[ September 10, 2004, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: nnoy ]

JerseyPaul

Live Scoring

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:12 am

Originally posted by nnoy:
The problem is that the official stats do not put an asterisk on the fumble. The box score does NOT state “*Note this was special teams fumble.”

A fumble is a fumble, is a fumble. We all watched it happen last night, however there will be other games that are not nationally televised where the same could occur. There is NO way that you can determine when the fumble occurred by reading the box score. The stats for the league are derived from the box scores. Therefore, given that absent a play-by-play review for every single fumble for the entire season, any fumble that occurs and is lost will have to be counted as –1. Not our problem as players. It's the organizers responsibility to follow their own rules, whatever it takes.

nnoy

Live Scoring

Post by nnoy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:28 am

That’s not their problem either now. Go to your league’s rules page, you will note that it now states:

Misc.
Fumble Lost, Including ST plays Pts: -1

Obviously the right to implement and clarify rules as deemed appropriate was retained by Greg. This is clearly the most efficient way to apply the rule. Do you really think its fair to require a play-by-play review for every NFL fumble? Bitch to the NFL and request a new stat “fumbles on special teams.” If a chump fumbles the ball it hurts the team in the NFL, it should hurt a team in fantasy as well, regardless of whether it’s on special teams.

ultimatefs

Live Scoring

Post by ultimatefs » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:32 am

[ September 10, 2004, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: John Zaleski ]
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.