Satellite Playoff Averages...

Erok

Post by Erok » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:55 pm

Greg or Tom:

According to the way the rules read, I was under the impression that once the playoffs began, your three week totals from the playoffs would be added to your overall total points and then divided by 16 (total weeks played)to come up with your new team average thus declaring the order of finish for the four playoff teams.

I see now that my overall season average was added to my total from Week #14 thus giving me a new combined average. That means that thirteen weeks of the regular season carries the same weight as one playoff game so far and that three weeks of playoffs will carry the same weight as the season when it is all over! That does not seem fair or logical.

I know there are still two more weeks of playoffs left, but lets say one of the playoff teams had an oustanding week in the first week of the playoffs and posts 225 points (thankfully that didnt happen in our league.) That would essentially be the end of the playoffs. That one huge week would skew the average and that person would more than likely not be caught.

I had the best record in our league and won total points as well yet I am in last place after the first week of the playoffs with this scoring system. I just don't think that three weeks of playoffs should carry the same combined average as an entire season. Just my opinion.

In every league I've been in the top seeded teams/points leaders get a bye, or better seeding, etc.. I know there are no head -2-head matchups here for the playoffs (which I think is a great idea) but there are also no advantages to finishing with the best record/ or being the points leader come playoff time.

A team could go 13-0 and outscore the next closest total points team by 150 points in the regular season, yet finish last in the playoffs with the current setup. To me that needs corrected.

I don't want to sound like I am complaining, but I did want to throw this out there and get your thoughts on this matter. I think you guys run an outstanding league and are first class all the way. I was just disappointed after the first week of the playoffs to see the averages set up this way. We are talking about a lot of money here not just a couple hundred dollars. I know you guys get complaints about everything and I know that you can't make everyone happy, but I just feel that this is something that should be possibly changed for next year.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks-Erik

TURBOUGH

Post by TURBOUGH » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:16 am

In a sense I understand "what" you are saying but in the fantasy playoffs I've never seen a team get an edge going into the game. I personally say we should start from 0 for the shootout but thats JMO. Also, there was an earlier thread on this topic but not sure where they are going with it.

Good luck making a come back. It'll be tough but you can get back into the top 10

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:49 am

All are good points Erik. As you can see from a couple of different threads, there are different ideas for how the playoffs should go. In the Ultimate League and Auction Leagues, we use h2h for the playoffs and some guys say they love that format and others wish we had used total points for the final four weeks. You are correct that our satellite leagues are now set up to reward those teams who do well in Weeks 14-16, but you can't get to the money round without having good regular seasons. So in some ways this works well, but in your example I see how it's not perfect.

All good thoughts and I appreciate the time you took to give us your thoughts. We'll definitely look everything over and finalize the formats for 2007 soon.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:28 am

Playoff teams will carry their weekly average from Weeks 1-13 into a consolation round playoff and add their weekly totals during Weeks 14-16 to determine the league champion and top three money finishers.

If you read the rules they are quite clear that the weekly AVERAGE from weeks 1-13 will be carried into the playoffs.
Based on your complaint/suggestion, who could guess this was your situation "I
had the best record in our league and won total points as well yet I am in last place after the first week of the playoffs with this scoring system."
Prior to the start of the season, and after actually reading the rules, I pointed out to Greg that a team (like yours) could theoretically have the best H2H record through 13 weeks, have the most total points through 13 weeks AND have the most total points through 16 weeks AND NOT win any money. Greg addressed this concern by changing the payout structure to include a prize for being the 13 week H2H winner and a prize for total points leader after 13 weeks. SO you have already been rewarded for your H2H accomplishment and you have already been rewarded for your 13 week total point leadership. Additionally you have already gotten "a leg up on the playoffs" by getting your weekly AVERAGE from the 1st 13 weeks, which in actuality means you won week one in the "4 week" playoffs.
lol.....if you would have been the last qualifier for the playoffs, by finishing 4th in total points through 13 weeks; you probably would be faulting the points leader for getting his weekly average in the playoffs, saying he was already rewarded for that!!
My suggestion is READ THE RULES before joining. And if you want a league with total points for 16 weeks join a DC League. :rolleyes:

Erok

Post by Erok » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:22 pm

Thanks for getting back to me Greg...you guys are first class as always with everything! Glad to hear you will review things in the off season.

Uh, I believe my post was addressed to Greg or Tom, and not Riff, but perhaps you thought I misspelled your name. Either way, you took the liberty to jump into my post, and if you correctly read my post, I stated that I was under the impression that the scoring was done differently. Based on how the wording is in the rules, it is easy to interpret it that way. Once I found out it wasnt done the way I thought it was going to be done, of course I would be disappointed. I still may or may not win the championship. Even if I do win the chapmionship under these rules, I think they should be slightly modified for next season.

Your ignorance and insults are very uncalled for and very elementary as well. Based on your number of posts since summer and the fact that you took the time to write this recent post though, I should not be surprised. It is clearly obvious you don't have much going on. You have a nice Christmas now.

[ December 14, 2006, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Erok ]