Throwing in the towel

danimal10

Throwing in the towel

Post by danimal10 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:11 am

if credit cards are kept on file (and I would assume for the majority of the players they are - it could even perhaps be required to keep one on file even if you pay cash or check - like when you check in to a hotel) I wonder if there could be a penalty/fine charged for starting players on bye weeks or who are ruled out for the week?

not sure what effort management of this from Greg and the guys would entail, but it seems to me that the way to get and keep folks attention is usually by focusing on their wallet....

D

Greg Ambrosius

Throwing in the towel

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:22 am

Originally posted by Mike Treff:
Greg, I said one team in the league starting 2-3 guys who aren't playing, not 2-3 teams in each league who are doing this... Go to my league New York league 6, Team Burns. He started 3 guys who werent playing, for two weeks in a row, and scored like 60. Then last week he changed his lineup compltely and scored 134 and won. There is another team in my league who has done similar things, cant recall team name at moment but he's one of the bottom few teams.

Then go to NY league 2 and Team Hosford. i think this guy just gave up. there are posts on each of these league message boards from owners asking guys not to do this.

Like I said I'm not furious I know this can happen, but its ridiculous that it does and I think an automated bye-week lineup filler would be an awesome addition to the league. Okay, got it now. Personal problems sometimes get in the way of owners setting lineups and it looks like Team Burns is back on board. Let's hope the others get on board too.

I'm not sure an automated bye-week lineup filler is even the answer. If one WR is on bye and he has three WRs on his bench, which one goes into the starting lineup?? The highest scoring WR from the week before?? The highest scoring WR from the season?? Alphabetically?? I mean, those decisions could cause wins or losses for this team that affects everyone else in the league. It's not right for me, the computer or anyone else to set this guy's lineup other than the guy who paid $1300 when 13 other teams are affected. You'd hate to lose that way, wouldn't you??

This is a tough part of fantasy football, but for the most part I think owners here fight until the end. I'm not sure there's an easy answer to fix the problem when one owner per league bows out early. But maybe I'm wrong.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Throwing in the towel

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:24 am

Originally posted by Mike Treff:
Zola, right on. But in that case, it should just be a total points league, period. Forget head-to-head.

Right now, first place is determined by overall record so your argument doesn't carry enough weight. Just a clarification: first place is determined by h2h record AND total points. But you are correct, h2h champ automatically gets $2,500, has a shot at another $2,500 and is in line for the $100,000 overall prize.

To Todd's point, between 4-6 teams each year make it via the wild card. I suspect with 308 teams in the NFFC Classic this year, we'll get 4-5 teams in as wild card teams and maybe 3-5 in the NFFC Primetime.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

KOTRAX

Throwing in the towel

Post by KOTRAX » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:00 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Mike Treff:
Greg, I said one team in the league starting 2-3 guys who aren't playing, not 2-3 teams in each league who are doing this... Go to my league New York league 6, Team Burns. He started 3 guys who werent playing, for two weeks in a row, and scored like 60. Then last week he changed his lineup compltely and scored 134 and won. There is another team in my league who has done similar things, cant recall team name at moment but he's one of the bottom few teams.

Then go to NY league 2 and Team Hosford. i think this guy just gave up. there are posts on each of these league message boards from owners asking guys not to do this.

Like I said I'm not furious I know this can happen, but its ridiculous that it does and I think an automated bye-week lineup filler would be an awesome addition to the league. Okay, got it now. Personal problems sometimes get in the way of owners setting lineups and it looks like Team Burns is back on board. Let's hope the others get on board too.

I'm not sure an automated bye-week lineup filler is even the answer. If one WR is on bye and he has three WRs on his bench, which one goes into the starting lineup?? The highest scoring WR from the week before?? The highest scoring WR from the season?? Alphabetically?? I mean, those decisions could cause wins or losses for this team that affects everyone else in the league. It's not right for me, the computer or anyone else to set this guy's lineup other than the guy who paid $1300 when 13 other teams are affected. You'd hate to lose that way, wouldn't you??

This is a tough part of fantasy football, but for the most part I think owners here fight until the end. I'm not sure there's an easy answer to fix the problem when one owner per league bows out early. But maybe I'm wrong.
[/QUOTE]YEAH THAT IS A TOUGH CALL. JUST LIKE IN MY NBC LEAGUE THE TOP SCORING TEAM IS PLAYING THE LAST PLACE TEAM.

THE LAST PLACE TEAM HAVE BUSH, MCFADDEN, UTECHT, AND BERRIAN ACTIVE.

HE HAS F.TAYLOR, DESHAUN JACKSON, JOSH MORGAN AND DUSTIN KELLER ON THE BENCH.

IT IS GOING TO BE AN EASY WIN FOR THEM BUT NOTHING CAN BE DONE.

I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT IS THE RIGHT ANSWER TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

danimal10

Throwing in the towel

Post by danimal10 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:03 am

kotrax,

he changed his lineup, fyi

D

ToddZ

Throwing in the towel

Post by ToddZ » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:14 pm

Zola, right on. But in that case, it should just be a total points league, period. Forget head-to-head.

Right now, first place is determined by overall record so your argument doesn't carry enough weight. Perhaps not if you if you look at it as written. But instead, if you think of it as in order to make the championship round, you need to be in the upper 10% of total points scored, EXCEPT IF you have the best H2H record AND are not in the upper 10%.

This years competition has 308 teams, so the objective is to be in the top 31, that's it.

Obviously, either way it is the same final outcome. I just prefer to think of it this way. To me the competition is a total points format where the objective is to be in the top 10% overall with an exception given to a couple of lucky teams. Others may consider it a hybrid H2H and points format with an exception given to a couple of unlucky teams that scored in the top-31.
"No one cares about your team but you."

renman

Throwing in the towel

Post by renman » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:35 am

Greg,

I may be in the minority on this but I would be more comfortable losing to a team that had a bench player put into their quitter lineup via some automated process than I would by winning a game and gaining an unfair advantage due to happening to draw the quitter team during the portion of the season when he had quit. As opposed to maybe someone else in my league who played him in week 1 or 2 and lost to a properly managed team.

All I am saying is the topic is worth discussing as we have a ton of really intelligent fantasy football minds around the NFFC and few things soil a fantasy football league/event like a team quitting and hurting the integrity of the competition.

weber7777

Throwing in the towel

Post by weber7777 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:04 pm

There is no excuse for allowing a team to start a guy on a bye week when there is a player on the bench that can be used.. that cannot be allowed. you use highest avergage scorer who is available.. or even better, use the lowest avg scorer so the team that he is playing can't make complain that you are running the team..

- for instance, im in a league where 1st place is best record, my pts for suck .. 3 weeks left, im one game bak. i need the bottom guys to submit lineups.. if they don't it's really a bunch of bs.. anyway, just my opinion..

Greg, i think your league is by far the best one around.. im serious.. however you really should read the rules set forth in the Roto league site.. i played that this year.. and their rules for situations like this and other situations are very modern and extremely fair.. just a thought for next year..
Check out fantasy football blog

www.weberfantasyfootball.com

D-Day Heroes

Throwing in the towel

Post by D-Day Heroes » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:45 pm

Originally posted by KOTRAX:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Mike Treff:

[/QUOTE]YEAH THAT IS A TOUGH CALL. JUST LIKE IN MY NBC LEAGUE THE TOP SCORING TEAM IS PLAYING THE LAST PLACE TEAM.

THE LAST PLACE TEAM HAVE BUSH, MCFADDEN, UTECHT, AND BERRIAN ACTIVE.

HE HAS F.TAYLOR, DESHAUN JACKSON, JOSH MORGAN AND DUSTIN KELLER ON THE BENCH.

IT IS GOING TO BE AN EASY WIN FOR THEM BUT NOTHING CAN BE DONE.

I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT IS THE RIGHT ANSWER TO FIX THE PROBLEM.
[/QUOTE]What would be the problem with an automated system that plugs in the highest yearly average player on the bench ' automatically " , at 5 minutes before the 1st game every week for players that are on a bye or out on injury in starting line-ups ...?

This would also be good , not only for those teams that throw in the towel , but for those people that come-up against illness or other emergencies :cool:
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

stormola

Throwing in the towel

Post by stormola » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:11 pm

Take away the silly, arbitrary, lotto ticket , H2H play and go strictly by points and this would never be an issue .