A slow auction

spook

A slow auction

Post by spook » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:06 am

Hello I can grab one of those spots that are available.

boutrous11

A slow auction

Post by boutrous11 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:00 am

i love the idea of this league. I have a suggestion though. You have to be in here every night with the way you have it set up. (bidding done in this thread?) What if you have everyone nominate a player for a week long period of bidding, instead of daily? 14 players bid upon per week, ending at 11pm on Sunday night. Then you don't necessarily have to be in the thread every single night for 3 months....

i'm in by the way. cash prizes, right? no free entries to anything....

kapefear

A slow auction

Post by kapefear » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:33 am

Waz...You are Correct...........Again everyone have their own reasoning,but I wouldnt draft him last year..New coach,SJax?,offensive line?,nevermind there defense.They always seem to be down by 10-17 at half.I personally and shouldnt tip my hand,would love to have AVERY in the right spot.Just my $.02...

liquidhippo

A slow auction

Post by liquidhippo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:52 am

I'd like to participate in this league.

However, I'd like to make one suggestion. Rather than strictly cutting it off at a specified time, have the final gavel fall when there's a 2-5 minute lull without a higher bid. Otherwise, you'll have a chaotic bids that represent the vagaries of various internet connections and trying to divine what other last second bids someone else will offer without a chance to outbid someone, trying to guess whether the 9:59 posted on the message board is actually 9:59:03 or 9:59:57, etc. Adds too much luck to it, similar to Blind FAAB.

[ February 03, 2009, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Liquid Hippo ]

spook

A slow auction

Post by spook » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:47 am

so are we having a bidding window and someone decides when the high bid has come? Because as hippo said it will be mass chaos with someone trying to get a player by putting in there bid with others at 9:59:58

Coltsfan

A slow auction

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:33 pm

boutrous - I thought about doing the bidding weekly but I was afraid that it would just basically sit there all week with people logging in the last minute to bid. By doing it this way we would nominate 4 players one day and then auction them the next giving us bidding every other day. And yes they are cash prizes.

Liquid Hippo - There isn't a good way to monitor when there is a lull in bidding since it's not a live auction. The bottom line is that somebody can bid their max bid anytime during the day and if it stands up then great but if not then they buy somebody else. Whoever bids the highest amount first wins the player so if somebody wants to wait until the last second then they run the risk of losing the player on a tie.

spook - The first post on the site gets the player so it should be very easy to determine who that was in the event of a tie. If our deadline is 11:00 central and a bid comes in with a time mark of 11:01 then it's too late. I don't think everyone is going to wait until the last minute with every bid. Most will be decided early on.

Here's the updated list - we're getting close!

1. Coltsfan - Wayne Ellis
2. Hammer
3. Route C
4. Bob Swallows
5. kapefear
6. Follow me
7. Rob B
8. Rich Dunn
9. boutrous11
10. Liquid Hippo
11. spook

Three more spots. Where's Billy?

Wayne

kapefear

A slow auction

Post by kapefear » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:40 pm

Wheres Diesel?

Coltsfan

A slow auction

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:50 pm

Originally posted by kapefear:
Wheres Diesel? We need to get him signed up! Anybody know his number?

Wayne

boutrous11

A slow auction

Post by boutrous11 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:44 pm

Ah I see, every other day, I get it. I still think weekly is better, but it isn't a huge deal.

liquidhippo

A slow auction

Post by liquidhippo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:11 pm

Originally posted by Coltsfan:

Liquid Hippo - There isn't a good way to monitor when there is a lull in bidding since it's not a live auction. The bottom line is that somebody can bid their max bid anytime during the day and if it stands up then great but if not then they buy somebody else. Whoever bids the highest amount first wins the player so if somebody wants to wait until the last second then they run the risk of losing the player on a tie.
There's an easy way to see if there's a lull. Just announce a cutoff time(ie 10:00 pm.) and look at the timestamp, first lull after the cutoff terminates subsequent bids. If there's a 2 minute limit to raise the bid:

$30 at 10:00 pm
$31 at 10:05 pm

Then the $31 bid doesn't win, 5 minute lull. The $30 bid wins it.

Only reason I mention this is because I've had experience in leagues with something kind of similar to this, and what happens is there's limited or no activity for most of the day, then, there's a frenzy of activity about 15 to 10 minutes before the deadline, the final two minutes it becomes chaotic and nobody has any real idea how much players will go for. More often than not, you don't get your targets unless you significantly overpay for them(just like blind FAAB). If it's 10:00 pm. and the bid is $35, if it's a coveted player, there might be 10 more bids all listed at 10:00 pm. and it will look something like this:

John Doe - $36 - 10:00 pm
Peggy Sue - $44 - 10:00 pm
Tommy Lee -- $36 - 10:00 pm
Billy Ray - $42 - 10:00 pm
John Doe - $45 - 10:01 pm
----etc---

What happened was I would frequently get shut out on my targets, even though I fervently hit refresh in an attempt to have enough time to respond with another bid, my attempts were futile, it all came down to luck, or overpaying. Everyone was frustrated with it, so unanimously( i think it was unanimous) we all instituted a 5 minute lull to eliminate the luck factor.

Just a friendly suggestion born out of experience that would ensure nobody loses out on a player due to luck.

Sure, you can guarantee getting any player by just posting a max bid $10 more than a player is worth, but you can't win leagues that way.