If Your Draft Was Held Today Where Would Culpepper Go?

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:12 am

Considering Culpepper went with the 14th pick in our NFFC main draft tells me everyone had a shot at him, especially the guy drafting 13th who took Domamick Davis who has become famous in a very recent, previous thread.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:51 am

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
Considering Culpepper went with the 14th pick in our NFFC main draft tells me everyone had a shot at him, especially the guy drafting 13th who took Domamick Davis who has become famous in a very recent, previous thread. it's almost like passing on T.Holt to take T.Henry in the 2nd.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:55 am

In a draft today I'd have Culpepper on my board at about #8

I would still draft him behind Priest, LT, Shaun Alexander, Ahman Green, Jamal Lewis and probably Randy Moss, although I could flipflop there.

Dave
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:56 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Bottom line in my opinion: It doesn't matter where you draft, it matters who you draft. No matter where you are drafting from, there will be players who can lead you to a fantasy championship. we have a different opinion. BOTH matter in my opinion.

[ October 19, 2004, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:15 pm

Greg, even if I wanted Culpepper, he went at 1.11 and I had 1.12. FBG's had Barlow at RB8 followed by Taylor, Lewis, DD, Henry, Faulk and Westbrook. I rejected all of them as first rounders, although Jamal and DD went at 1.9 and 1.10 in my league. Needless to say, those two teams are not doing well.

I needed to foresee Tiki or Curtis or Tom Jones. At draft time, Coughlin was in love with Dayne. I did like Curtis and Jones, but as top 17 picks?... couldn't do it. So how could I dominate? I took Harrison and Holt and was hoping for Dunn in round 3. Dunn went at 3.11 and I was stuck.

Having no RBs, I jumped all over the FA guys. My last pick was a big winner as I got Droughns. I have an outside shot at getting enough points for 3rd now that I have a big RB. If Harrison starts to score like Holt, perhaps I can dream of more.

It's true that Pocket aces has started well in slot 14 having taken Taylor and Westbrook but I think their hot start has a lot to do with having Onterrio Smith from round 10 become a starter for the beginning of the season. Taylor is the 12th best RB in total points and Westbrook stands at 16th. O. Smith has a better points/game than either of those two.

Now comes the luck swings. O. Smith is out and Moore takes over. Pocket Aces has K Rob who rumor has it will be suspended. Droughns is ripping up the turf. So maybe it's a new ballgame.

GriffithVT

Post by GriffithVT » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:31 pm

In New York 2 I got Cullper with the 21st pick. Not bad. Took Moss with the 7th pick and Culpepper with the 21st.

I got lucky.
The Gstar!

GriffithVT

Post by GriffithVT » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:31 pm

Culpepper...sorry guys..so excited I could not type.
The Gstar!

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:30 pm

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
He still can't be taken before the stud RBs. We know that by pick 28 you get either an average, consistent RB like a Travis Henry or Steven Davis or a high risk player like Quentin Griffin. JP - you can take Culpepper before the stud rb's and do very well.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:00 pm

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I'm as strong a proponent of taking a RB in the first round as anyone you're going to find, but what Daunte Culpepper is doing right now is unbelievable. Consider that he's not only on pace to throw for 58 TDs and more than 5,600 passing yards (think about those numbers for a second) but he has thrown 5 TDs in a game three times already and he has had more than 340 yards in every game but one.

And did I mention he has the Vikings' only rushing TD of the year as well?

Although RBs typically are the consensus No. 1 pick in most drafts, it wasn't that long ago when Kurt Warner was sitting atop many draft lists and rankings. Is Culpepper worthy of similar recognition?

What do you guys think? I took him #4 in mid-season. If I had #1 it would have been a toss-up him, Shaun and Priest.
But this included a great remaining schedule and no bye week, which were quite important in a short season.

If the entire season started today, I would probably draft him between 3 and 5.

[ October 20, 2004, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

dgamblnman

Post by dgamblnman » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:05 pm

Here is the funny part, Culpepper will go in the first 5 next year and people would be saying "Why did I take a QB with a top 5 pick!" I could of had so-and-so in the 5th with the same amount of points