Who Did You Miss On?

Tom Kessenich

Who Did You Miss On?

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:35 am

We all enjoy being able to sit back and proudly say we were knew certain players were destined for fantasy greatness each season. Last year in my main league, for example, I snared guys like Rudi Johnson, Justin McCareins and Lee Suggs off the Waiver Wire long before they became household names. Moves like that are definitely the kind that let you puff your chest out a little more prominently every year.

But what about the flip side? I don't care how long you've been playing or how smart you think you are, there are going to be players each season that you target who simply don't get it done. For me, here are three guys who I liked a lot who have failed me miserably.

Travis Henry: Yes I knew McGahee was going to cut into Henry's carries, I knew the Bills had offensive issues and I knew Henry came with some risk, but everything I heard from Bills' insiders strongly said there was no reason to think Henry would be less than the RB he had been the previous two seasons. Even if McGahee got 20-30 percent of the carries, I still saw Henry as being a productive RB2. After all, the Bills were worthless last year, Henry was hurt most of the year and he still topped 1,300 yards with double-digit TDs. At the end of the day, I believe talent wins out 99 percent of the time in the NFL and Henry clearly has talent. But this looks like that 1 percent of the time where talent isn't going to equate to results. Henry just doesn't look like the same guy and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if McGahee was named the starter from here on out (which actually doesn't bother me because in every league I drafted Henry, I got McGahee later). Henry's going to be a big-time fantasy RB somewhere next season. Of that I'm certain. Unfortunately that doesn't do Henry owners the slightest bit of good this season.

Peerless Price: Anyone who read the cover story of our second issue of Fantasy Sports Magazine or who reads our newsletter and online content knows I'm less than sold on Michael Vick as a big-time NFL QB. And I strongly stated last year that Price was not a No. 1 WR in the NFL. So why draft Price? I viewed him as a lower-end WR2 and if the price was right (sorry) I was going to take him because I believe that even with his limitations and Vick's, he could still deliver solid WR2 numbers. The reason being Vick simply had to generate a stronger passing game than the Falcons had last season and that would lead to Price being better as well, right? Wrong. What I didn't anticipate was Vick turning into a much more celebrated version of Kyle Boller. Vick has been atrocious this season and since Price lacks the talent of a true No. 1 WR, he has been unable to overcome Vick's inadequate play and generate much positive fantasy production. It still might happen with both of them before the season's out, but until it does Price will be on the outside looking in the two leagues where he's on my roster.

Donte Stallworth: This guy really does have talent and Lord knows the Saints are loaded on offense and this is his third year and that's the magical year for WRs right? Apparently not. After a nice start to the season, Stallworth is back to being a Grade A Fantasy Dog. He's dropping passes left and right and he's nicked up again and he's again being outperformed by Jerome Pathon (who quite honestly should be the starter there opposite Joe Horn). This week, Aaron Brooks treated him as if he caught him sleeping with his wife, not that Stallworth deserves much better given all the passes he's dropped over the years. Like Price, Stallworth has talent and maybe the bye week will help and he'll be a stronger fantasy presence in the second half of the season, but it's impossible to have any faith in the guy given how badly he's played the last three weeks.

So those are 3 guys who I liked going into the season who have failed badly so far. Who's on your list?

[ October 25, 2004, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

TamuScarecrow

Who Did You Miss On?

Post by TamuScarecrow » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:40 am

Thanks, Tom, for pointing out my flawed draft, Henry in the 2nd and Price in the 5th. I should know better than to listen to anyone who says these offenses are going to improve especially in Atlanta where they hired a defensive coordinator as head coach. Being down here in SC, I got stuck having to watch Atlanta the last two weeks and have run out of toes and fingers counting the number of balls Price has dropped. Add Vick's lack of touch 90% of the time and we're hoping he blows out an ACL so we can drop him without having him come back to haunt us. The 3rd miss was Duckett who I explained up above. God, never let me draft players from these two teams again. :D
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

lichtman

Who Did You Miss On?

Post by lichtman » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:30 pm

How about Deuce & Chad Johnson (my first two picks)?

My biggest mistakes were Porter over McNabb in round 5 and swearing that I would not pick Tiki under any circumstances.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

TradeStar28

Who Did You Miss On?

Post by TradeStar28 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:00 pm

Originally posted by I Cojones:

My biggest mistakes were Porter over McNabb in round 5 and swearing that I would not pick Tiki under any circumstances. Hey partner - what's wrong with Deuce and Chad ?

:D
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Tom Kessenich

Who Did You Miss On?

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:46 am

Originally posted by Liquid Empire:
quote:Originally posted by I Cojones:

My biggest mistakes were Porter over McNabb in round 5 and swearing that I would not pick Tiki under any circumstances. Hey partner - what's wrong with Deuce and Chad ?

[/QUOTE]No doubt. McAllister is starting to come on and Johnson turned Champ Bailey into his personal b***h last night. So much for the "shutdown corner."
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Gordon Gekko

Who Did You Miss On?

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:43 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
No doubt. McAllister is starting to come on and Johnson turned Champ Bailey into his personal b***h last night. So much for the "shutdown corner." any chance champ got paid off by the "goodfella" gang to tank the game?
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Tom Kessenich

Who Did You Miss On?

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:35 am

He sure played like garbage that's for sure. Johnson owned him from start to finish with the exception of the INT. Johnson would have been even larger if he hadn't dropped that bomb in the first quarter where he had Bailey beat.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BillyWaz

Who Did You Miss On?

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:15 pm

Originally posted by Liquid Empire:
quote:Originally posted by I Cojones:

[/QUOTE]EXACTLY!! They (along with Jerry Porter.... Jerry Porter for Christ sake!) won the week for you!

My top 2 picks have a COMBINED 3 TD's through 7 weeks of action! Picking at 14, I had to take 2 RB's, and you have to make other reaches, but Icon, you have no reason to bitch about Deuce & Chad!

BillyWaz

Who Did You Miss On?

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:24 pm

To answer Tom's question......

KOREN ROBINSON!

I just had these visions of him being this year's Torry Holt. In a great offense, rededicating himself to his training regimin by staying in Seattle, working on not dropping so many balls (yea, thats worked!) etc. He has been a HUGE dissapointment for me, but I guess everyone has at least one.

The worst part is, at pick 14, you HAVE TO reach if you want someone because it is 26 picks until you pick again.

BRIAN WESTBROOK has been dissapointing also, as I just don't get how you can have 13 TD's last year sharing the load with 2 other players, andthis year through 7 games, he only has ONE!

Then again, it could have to do something with that Andy Reid is a *****! :mad:

[ October 26, 2004, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

dgamblnman

Who Did You Miss On?

Post by dgamblnman » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:25 pm

Hey Waz, I have the same feeling about Westbrook... I took him in the first roind thinking he will have a great season. He's getting the yards, but TO and McNabb are stealing all the TDs. I hoping that he comes through the last part of hte season and lifts his game.