2007 NFFC First Round Menu

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:24 pm

I guess its just the obsessive/compulsive mentality that has me thinking ahead to next year, but I guess the let down of knowing that for the next 7 months, fantasy football statistics will not be a part of my every day life. So I figured I would write one last observation in regard to fantasy football and the impact of next years draft and the 1st round.

It is clearly obvious that the number of Main dishes on the 1st rounder menu will be alot better than it was in 2006. The one great thing about that is the fact that less people will be leaving the draft scratching their heads as we had this year...Lets take a look!

With the great production of Steven Jackson in 2006, this changes the 2006 Top 3 to a clear cut Top 4. And the great thing about that, some people may even think its not so clear cut and may have a player or two who they feel should round out the top 4 next year.

LT2
Larry Johnson
Steven Jackson
Shaun Alexander

In 2007, LT2 will be the #1 in the entire world across every single draft board. The other 3 RB's will be argued and should vary in every possible combination. Some folks may even be wary of Shaun Alexander due to his injury in 2006 and the ones who picked him in 2006 may be so pissed they may take some other RB in his place within the top 4.

Getting back to the better options on the RB menu from 2006 to 2007 we have a nice choice of dishes - (in no particular order)

Brian Westbrook - he is the heartbeat of the Eagles Offense. Also, 36WEST is a homerun threat to score any time he touches the ball. He catches balls in a west coast offense. Someone who has proven his worth over the past few seasons. The only negative is injury risk although he held up well for the most part in 2006.

Frank Gore - As a Gore owner in 2006, I can tell you that after watching him play every single down he touched the ball, Gore is an absolute workhorse. This guy comes to play and plays like he has something to prove. Playing in Norv Turner O-ffense system, you cant go wrong with someone who has 2000 yards+ from scrimmage and 60+ balls caught.

Willie Parker - Fast Willie had some big games this year and like Westbrook, is a threat any time he touches the ball. The Steelers are committed to the running game, and FWP has no competition. Only downside is the tough defensive division he plays in.

Ronnie Brown - This is someone with low miles on the treads due to getting injuried in his sophmore season. He is a very solid runner, he catches balls, and will be used alot more in 2007. Ronnie Brown is someone who will break out next year for the lucky owners who have him fall to them.

Rudi Johnson - Mr. Consistent is an excellent foundation to any team to build upon. He can score multiple TD's in a game, and is in a high powered offense. Only downside is that he is overshadowed by Palmer, Chad Johnson & TJH.

Clinton Portis - This guy plays his heart out when he is healthy. Obviously, durability is an issue, but Portis is one of the purest RB's in the NFL and if he didnt get injured, was on his way to another very solid season. The question mark now is L Betts and his new contract...but even if the Skins traded Portis, it would open up another entree on the RB Menu because Betts himself has performed great in the last 5-6 weeks that Portis was declared out for season.

Joseph Addai- Here is a rookie that had a very good start to his NFL career. He started season behind Rhodes, but it is evident that the Colts will feature Addai as the prolific #1 back to their machine like offense of Manning - R Wayne - M Harrison. He is the newest member of the Quintuplets and someone you can build your team around like Edge in 2000.

Maurice Jones-Drew - Another guy who I was lucky enough to draft and watch play. This guy is a human bowling ball with a low center of gravity which makes him near impossible to tackle. MJD can score anytime, anyplace, anywhere...Also note, that he was very durable even with what seemed like weekly injuries and getting banged up. The question mark is Fred Taylor and his future with the Jags, but MJD as your #1 back is a great start regardless.

Reggie Bush - One of the most exciting players to come into the NFL, Reggie really turned it on towards the latter part of the season and will be a major force in the NFL over the next 8 years. He runs, he catches, he does it all and does it many times over. The question mark is obviously the role of Deuce, but that should be sorted out during training camp and will be interesting.

On the Cusp -

K. Jones- Hard core injury in 2006 may hamper his worth in 2007

C. Taylor - Is a Vikings RB every reliable to build your team on? Even Robert Smith back in the late 1990's was problematic. lol

C. Benson - If Thomas Jones ever leaves town, this guy could be huge. SHould be quite interesting if the Bears get knocked out of playoffs, there will be some big changes on offense in the Windy City

MBIII - Julius Jones sux..and Marion Barber the Third had the highest touchdown to touches ratio in the NFL thus far in 2006. Is he an every down RB? Inquiring minds wanna know!

W. McGahee - Only ...FI$HER... likes Willis in the first round year in and year out. It is family tradition so this only pertains to us. ;)

I am sleepy so I may have left out some obvious players. Feel free to add some thoughts and comments and corrections if needed.

:D

[ December 26, 2006, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: FISHER ]
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:11 pm

Snake started a thread to appeal keeping the MB alive. This is a good place for conversation as Fi$her has already started a nice accessment of the RB talent heading into 2007.

Alot of questions were answered in 2006..especially at the RB position.

SJax with 88 rec. after 15 games is about double what I expected from him.

One guy I'm real interested in during off season moves is M.Turner. No way he stays in SD. So where does he wind up? I heard Solomen Wilcots mention the JETS but I'm thinking Detroit depending on the KJ med update.

He could a nice wild card in 2007. Lots to talk about on this thread. I'd expect this to be a 300-400 pager if we keep it active.

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:40 pm

Did I miss Maroney in the list above because he looks like he could be the real deal too.

Alot of questions were answered in 2006..especially at the RB position.
I agree with this quote and is all the more reason I cannot wait to draft next year. More RB options makes the draft have a different flavor.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:44 pm

Here's a (semi-) bold prediction: the Top 14 picks next year (based on ADP) will all be RBs. No Steve Smith. No Peyton Manning.

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:40 pm

Originally posted by SNAKE:
...keep your eye on Brandon Jacobs as well maties...SNAKE The other RB that falls into his category is J. Norwood on Atlanta....also D. Williams on Carolina.

Travis Henry looks strong in the past few weeks and maybe he finally re-emerges next year for the Tenn Titans. He is a solid late 2nd round, early 3rd rounder if he follows through in Week 17 and in pre-season.

Then you have what I called the RB Dinosaurs in August 2006. A. Green, Jamal Lewis, Fred Taylor, Corey Dillon...

and the quagmire of the Arizona Cards RB Edge James & Saints RB Deuce Mac.

So many decisions and 3RR, if implemented, will produce alot variations of rosters from league to league. Unfortunately, ADP is determined from the masses and the ten trillion mock drafts done before the season begins, and that is what I think the biggest killer to any person who follows it too closely.

[ December 28, 2006, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: FISHER ]
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:26 am

Don't forget the GANJA' MAN himself. Sir Smoke-A-Lot, Ricky Williams.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:36 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
Here's a (semi-) bold prediction: the Top 14 picks next year (based on ADP) will all be RBs. No Steve Smith. No Peyton Manning. After our conversation KOQ, and crunching some quick numbers, I agree with this prediction.

Going into this year, you could probably lump the top 5 WR's together, and they could be in a different order on EVERYONE'S list.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:47 am

King of Queens' prediction is right on the money. Peyton Manning shouldn't be taken until round 3 in my opinion, but will probably stil be drafted around overall pick #20-22, and Steve Smith is now a 2nd round Wide Receiver. That leaves all RB's for round 1.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:54 am

Is Smith #1 in the "Diesel War Room" right now? :D

I couldn't argue with that, but I could see others with Ocho Cinco, Holt, Fitzgerald, etc. in that top spot.

Just a little tidbit, last year "Mr. Smith" had 3.7 points in Week 16, and this past year he had 0.5.

He is a fantasy championship killer, and I wouldn't touch him until Round 5!