2007 NFFC First Round Menu

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:59 am

In my eyes, a clear-cut #1 WR is a guy that will haul in 100+ receptions. Out of Holt/Johnson/Holt/Smith/Fitz, I see a toss up between Smith an Fitz.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:20 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Is Smith #1 in the "Diesel War Room" right now? :D

I couldn't argue with that, but I could see others with Ocho Cinco, Holt, Fitzgerald, etc. in that top spot.

Just a little tidbit, last year "Mr. Smith" had 3.7 points in Week 16, and this past year he had 0.5.

He is a fantasy championship killer, and I wouldn't touch him until Round 5! Dont forget that it was Weinke tossing Steve Smith the ball for a few weeks...also, steve missed games 1 and 2. I would be MORE than happy to take him in the 2nd round in 2007! :cool:
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

da bears

Post by da bears » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:02 am

Good analysis FISHER. Steven Jackson might even be the second pick next year, especially with all those catches. This was by far the toughest year in awhile for drafting running backs after the top 3. Drafting at the back end of the next years draft might work out even better especially if you could land two guys like Drew and Reggie Bush.
Bauler Shot Caller

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:04 am

Originally posted by FISHER:
quote:Originally posted by SNAKE:
Unfortunately, ADP is determined from the masses and the ten trillion mock drafts done before the season begins, and that is what I think the biggest killer to any person who follows it too closely. [/QUOTE]This is a good observation Fi$her. I don't do mocks but the early drafts can have the same effect if a person is in too many of them. One year I'd like to totally avoid all projections/mocks/etc..and go into the draft room without any outside influence. This of course would be nearly impossible so I'll continue to talk,read and watch the tube with caution as always. ;)

Back to your point...alot of owners say they are not influenced by such things. Everyone wants to be their own man/woman on draft day. I say Fi$her nailed it on the head here. If not, then why do the ADP's so closely follow the millions of mocks that occur each year. :eek:

2007...the year of the blinders. :D

renman

Post by renman » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:39 am

Great thread Fisher,

I came online today to start a thread just like this. Mine was going to be about listing your TOP 5 at QB,RB, WR just to fuel some football chat.

I think next season looks VERY interesting with the number of RB's that might emerge. I think Steven Jackson (I drafted him and went into this season with him and R. Brown being my favorite and most coveted RB's) is a stud, but also is unlikely to repeat the same type of season. His 80+ receptions are a direct result of how some games broke for the Rams combined with a poor pass blocking offensive line that resulted in Bulger checking down to RB's on dump offs quite often. That wont happen with the same frequency next season. Jackson is still a stud, but the receptions wont be the same.

I think the number of upside RB's combined with 3RR could make for quite an interesting first few rounds this coming season. Not just in changing the order of talent in the 3rd round but how that may result in a different sequence of player positions being taken. In the past certain spots on a draft board would lend themselves to certain strategic approaches with RB-WR-WR or RB-RB-WR or whatever seemed right for the spot. Now it may be hard to predict what people around you will do and thus harder to decide on who to pick and who to let slide in hopes that player will return to you unpicked.

Obviously the value of some of these RB's will be directly related to the players they share a backfield with. Maroney, Jones-Drew, D. Williams, Addai will see their value change a ton based on RBBC situations.

If we do the 3RR I wonder if it will take hold across the industry. Traditional mocks and ADP's will not matchup well without adjusting for 3RR. Should be interesting.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:46 am

3RR won't take hold across the industry because the NFFC is the only event that isn't afraid to adapt. I haven't stated any opinions on the 3RR, and I'm not about to start here, but if Greg and Tom go that route, I'm okay with it.

Fantasy Football adapts to the times. The NFFC adapts as well. At one time, it was near impossible to convince anyone about having a "flex" option in fantasy football. Now, the flex is the most popular upgrade to the game. Change, sometimes, is good.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

renman

Post by renman » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:39 am

Could not agree more mojo... Remember those TD only leagues where extra points were given based on length of TD? I look back on those and wonder how anyone enjoyed those...

I know the NFFC is the only one in the industry considering and maybe implementing 3RR. I just find it interesting how all the research materials people use to judge where players should be ranked or where players went in mocks and what their ADP's are will not match up as well given the info was not factoring in 3RR. It wont bother me personally because I make my own lists but those who draft along the lines of lists that came from someone not factoring in 3RR might have some extra calculations to make.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:49 am

renman..you make a valid point. I will interject that those who draft from lists will cross off players and simply pick the next best player on their list whenever their turn comes up. Some will draft best available while others will draft based on need. Either way..I don't think it dramatically effects these folks.

I do get what you're saying about ADP however, and agree with it.

BTW...congrats on a great season and ca$hing out.

renman

Post by renman » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:03 am

Route C,

I agree with you. Many will just take the "next best player on their list" when it comes time for them to pick. So I agree and do not think it will have major impact. Where it might have more is in the lack of predictability with how the second through 4th rounds may go. In the past you knew the first round would be mostly RB's the second round would see a run of WR's. Gates would go early in the 3rd. Then the 3rd and 4th round would go along the lines of what each team had already done. If a team went RB-RB you know he is taking a WR. If it was WR-RB or WR-Manning you knew what guys would do on one end of the board or the other and you could make choices with your own moves based on that. With 3RR that will be less predictable (not saying it is a bad thing).

Thanks for the nice words about my team. I am still very disappointed with how things turned out even though I had a good season. I won 2 other leagues as well not in the NFFC. So I can't complain. But when you draft Brees, S Jackson, A. Johnson, Jones-Drew, AND Colston.. arguably the best performers as it relates to their draft position, and combine them with players like Boldin, Julius Jones, L.J. Smith, D. Rhodes that prior to the season were expected to shine, you feel like this was a chance to win the big prize.

Notice I am right here already talking about next season...lol

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:52 am

Renny -

McNabb / J. Garcia were the best QB in NFFC this year with 401 points

:D
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again