TOMDOG

Favorite Board Game_(growing_up)

Post by TOMDOG » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:49 am

Risk
Clue
Checkers
Battleship
Monopoly

And,oh yes,i was a D&D player in the 80s.
Never the dungeon master,always a player.
Life was simple then.Not very productive,but real simple. :D

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:57 am

Originally posted by Ted's Cracked Head:
Monopoly

Risk

Stratego

Tripoli (started gambling early)

Chess/Checkers I loved playing Tripoli as a kid too!!!! Memories!
@RedRyder

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:02 am

i can't believe there are so many Risk lovers. ithought i was the only dork!!!
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:26 am

The best game that most of you haven't played is Acquire.

For me, it ranks in the top 3.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:38 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:
The best game that most of you haven't played is Acquire.

For me, it ranks in the top 3. Shawn - AWESOME - Acquire is a GREAT board game, although not likely a growing up endeavor for many. I still have a set of hand made, ceramic tiles on a portable wood board - somewhere in the garage.

[ June 18, 2008, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Captain Hook ]

Dave Clum

Post by Dave Clum » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:54 am

Had no idea Stratego was so popular.Most of my teen years were spent playing Avalon Hill Baseball (I still remember foul just foul).My best friend and I must have played thousands of games against each other.He used to say what happens when we each get married we will not play anymore.I calmly explained that we would just tell our wives that we like to play the game and always will.I wonder how he is doing?I have not talked to him in years!

Hard heads

Post by Hard heads » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:06 pm

Originally posted by Diesel:
This was really cards and dice...But in reality, it would fall under a board/strategy game...In fact, you can say it was the beginning of fantasy sports as we know it...

Strat-o-Matic Baseball.

Does anyone remember this? Very much so! I also played a baseball and football game similar called APBA, anyone heard of that one?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:21 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
i can't believe there are so many Risk lovers. ithought i was the only dork!!! Risk is awesome (if you have 7-8+ hours to kill!)

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:29 pm

Originally posted by Hard heads:
quote:Originally posted by Diesel:
This was really cards and dice...But in reality, it would fall under a board/strategy game...In fact, you can say it was the beginning of fantasy sports as we know it...

Strat-o-Matic Baseball.

Does anyone remember this? Very much so! I also played a baseball and football game similar called APBA, anyone heard of that one?
[/QUOTE]www.apbagames.com/stadium/games/index.html
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:38 pm

Originally posted by DiamondKing:
Had no idea Stratego was so popular.Most of my teen years were spent playing Avalon Hill Baseball (I still remember foul just foul).My best friend and I must have played thousands of games against each other.He used to say what happens when we each get married we will not play anymore.I calmly explained that we would just tell our wives that we like to play the game and always will.I wonder how he is doing?I have not talked to him in years! I loved Avalon Hill baseball as a kid. My buddy and I once tried to play an entire 162 game season...didn't make it, but it was close.

My favorite memory was when I started Ron Guidry and he pitched a no-hitter. It may sound silly, but it was incredibly exciting at the time and it was as thrilling for me at that age as watching a real no-hitter. It's actually one of my favorite sports moments of all time, if you can believe it.

I also spent hours playing electric football. I loved it, especially trying to complete passes and kick field goals. The great thing about electric football was that it was still a fun game to play by yourself if you couldn't find anyone else to play against.

It's too bad my 11 year old son will never know the joy of these board games. There's something special about them that the computer games can't capture, but forget trying to explain that to the younger generation...damn, that makes me sound old!
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven