League Prizes vs, Grand Prize

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:39 pm

Okay, all this chatter about draft slots aside (and we're all agreed you can win from any position), we're all having a great time or we wouldn't be hanging around these stupid boards.

Clearly, there will be many more teams next year. More teams, more entry money.

The Grand Prize this year was cut back to $100,000, a nice round number. Where to go with the additional money?

Would you guys like to see the same league prizes and the extra money pumped back into the grand prize or...

Would you like to see the Grand Prize capped at $100,000 (or $150,000) and more money returned as league prizes.

The first option makes NFFC look like WCOFF from a prize point of view.

The second option makes NFFC look a bit more like some of the single league offerors and might attract more of those players...yet there still is a grand prize sweetener.

Right now we sit at almost an even split of prize money between League and Grand. Should this change in one direction or the other?

dgamblnman

Post by dgamblnman » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:29 pm

Honestly, I liked the top money being paid in WCOFF. That is the reason why I joined several years ago. I think the top prize should be higher. We are putting the emphasis on "National Champion", not league champion. So I would like to see the top prizes increased with the increased participation.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:23 am

Good topic JP. Greg's off in Arizona getting the lowdown on this year's minor league baseball crop (can you believe we're already prepping for our first fantasy baseball issue?) so he might not be checking the boards for a few days. But I know this is a topic he and I will both be interested to see what the responses are.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:51 am

Another good topic JP.
I haven't had time to think it through but I did suggest on another thread that we somehow reward the overall points leader after week 13. Do you agree that it's alot harder to lead the pack after a long regular, than it is to get hot for 3 weeks. I'm not suggesting taking anything away from the national champion, but the points leader is already losing an advantage it took 13 weeks to accumulate. I think that's worth something.
What do you think?

RC

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:53 am

Should read: long regular season

dgamblnman

Post by dgamblnman » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:01 am

Route, don't forget that the playoffs will start with average points for the season going into the playoffs, so the point leader is already ahead before the playoffs start.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:55 am

Route C...click on the pencil and you can edit your posts. No need to fess up about typos

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 am

You guys know that I prefer things that I can control over things I can't. I believe that league results are more controllable. You adjust your draft as things unfold and can take advantage of value that slips. You can use your FAAB more effectively than others either by better bidding or discovering emerging players before others do. Even with all that, it's hard as heck to make the top 2 in your league.

Getting a league award is tough, but something we all believe is very achievable. I like at least 50% of the award money going within the league. I would prefer 60%.

Having a big Grand Prize is great but there is only one. After playing perfectly for 16 weeks you can end up, through no fault of your own, 5th.

So I would like a structure where winning your league is very satisfying and coming in 2nd is worthwhile.

I also think that the next tier of players may not be as certain of their skills (or they would have played already) and thus would be attracted to a more distributed prize structure.

There were a lot of games this year with huge top prizes that failed. I think many of those failed games were very top heavy in their prize structure. I think a balanced approach is best.

[ October 29, 2004, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: JerseyPaul ]

dgamblnman

Post by dgamblnman » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:02 am

JP, but this setup has suceeded for 3 years now, so you really can't use that argument. WCOFF is a success, I believe NFFC will be a success under current conditions. Greg and Tom are great and have put on a superb product. WCOFF was first, NFFC may be better. Most of us joined this for the grand prize. Hell, the wife and I each had out own team the first 2 years in WCOFF. It's the money that brought us here.

We are looking for a "National Champion", thus should be rewarded as such. There is skill and luck in this competition, and you can't always size up how it will turn out until the season is over. I believe 2 years ago, everyone thought there was a clear winner, he led in points by a great margin going into the playoff, but I think he finished third or fifth.

Don't take away from the event itself, the event in the "National Fantasy Football Championship".

Sorry JP, but I have always been an advocate of this type of setup since this all started. Lenny made it a reality and many people like it. That is why I know the NFFC will grow, similar model with better service plus it is easier on the pocketbook and the multiple locations, Greg will be able to fill this next year. Look what he did in baseball his first try out.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:16 am

Vegas, I'm not for a moment saying that your point of view is wrong. Heck, you might even be right