FFOC Investigation

King of Queens

FFOC Investigation

Post by King of Queens » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:15 am

If a contest comes somewhat close to meeting their goals (as the NFFC did in Year One), it can be deemed an acceptable loss. What you're looking at here is entirely different -- a potentially devastating loss that will almost certainly not be made up in a year or two.

LFW

FFOC Investigation

Post by LFW » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:15 am

KoQ- Reason would be if they think by paying out the prizes and taking the loss it will pay off for them in the future.

NFFC and NFBC both lost money in their first year. The plug wasn't pulled because they expected to make it up in the future.

Granted this will be a much bigger loss but they are trying to operate on a bigger scale
Lets remember someone almost invested 1 million to bail out Neil to have a damed reputation contest. Maybe these guys feel losing 1 million the first year and gaining the publicity that that Concert promoter will acheive parading around a 1 million dollar winner will be worth it in good will acheived and future signups created.

Perhaps they look at this year as investing and developing their product and don't expect to make money right away. This could be looked at as a continuing marketing expense...which so far this summer they have had no problem in spending more on marketing than any Fantasy Football game I've ever seen...so I don't rule it out.
The TYRUNT of CDM Fantasy Sports Football Challenge and High Roller Football Contests!

LFW

FFOC Investigation

Post by LFW » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:18 am

KJ Duke is right about companies losing money...my brother has worked for a start up company for about 3 years that hasn't made money yet. But the promise of what they might make in the future has had investors invest millions.
The TYRUNT of CDM Fantasy Sports Football Challenge and High Roller Football Contests!

kjduke

FFOC Investigation

Post by kjduke » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:18 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
If a contest comes somewhat close to meeting their goals (as the NFFC did in Year One), it can be deemed an acceptable loss. What you're looking at here is entirely different -- a potentially devastating loss that will almost certainly not be made up in a year or two. KOQ, read my prior post. You are equating a low-margin, high-service business (NFFC/WCOFF) which caters to a niche market to that of a potentially high-margin, low-service business (FFOC/CDM/Sportsline) that caters to the mass market. Very different animals. Yes, they could easily make it up in year two.

ultimatefs

FFOC Investigation

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:20 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
If a contest comes somewhat close to meeting their goals (as the NFFC did in Year One), it can be deemed an acceptable loss. What you're looking at here is entirely different -- a potentially devastating loss that will almost certainly not be made up in a year or two. How much do you think Papa John's is worth? How could it possibly be devastating?
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

LFW

FFOC Investigation

Post by LFW » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:20 am

KoQ- But you nor I know what their "acceptable loss" figure is. I imagine it is higher than you believe. But that's just a guess I don't know what it is.

[ August 06, 2008, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Fast Whip ]

Nag'

FFOC Investigation

Post by Nag' » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:21 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Not that I would expect you to acknowledge this as it does not support your opinion. What opinion?
For Players. By Players.

ultimatefs

FFOC Investigation

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:23 am

Originally posted by Lightning Fast Whip:
KJ Duke is right about companies losing money...my brother has worked for a start up company for about 3 years that hasn't made money yet. But the promise of what they might make in the future has had investors invest millions. My future sister-in-law is CEO of a company like this. Very common.

What we have here folks is Fantasy Sports being taken to the next level by a major company.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

kjduke

FFOC Investigation

Post by kjduke » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:23 am

Originally posted by JohnZ:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
If a contest comes somewhat close to meeting their goals (as the NFFC did in Year One), it can be deemed an acceptable loss. What you're looking at here is entirely different -- a potentially devastating loss that will almost certainly not be made up in a year or two. How much do you think Papa John's is worth? How could it possibly be devastating? [/QUOTE]$817 million, as of 40 minutes before the close today. Cash flow from operations $20.3 million in the 1st quarter.

LFW

FFOC Investigation

Post by LFW » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:23 am

Duke- They haven't charged me yet either. Some games wait until closer to the season to charge me. I'm use to that.