NFL Should Change Overtime Format

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:28 am

Does anyone else think the NFL's overtime setup where the first team that scores wins is outdated and due for a new look? Especially when you compare the NFL's setup to college football's setup, it's almost embarrassing to see how the pro league handles this tie-breaker.

I've felt this way for years, but after watching the Titans win the coin flip two weeks ago and score on their first possession against the Packers and then watching the same thing happen last night in the Jets' game, I think it's time for the NFL to consider a change. Granted, both the Titans and the Jets were flawless in their winning drives, but why not let the opposing team have a crack at a score too?

Some folks argue that if both teams had a shot to tie the game again, football games could go four hours. Who cares? Heck, you can shorten that length just by having a fan make the challenge calls from their Barcoloungers rather than take the 3+ minutes the refs take to hide in that booth and make the call.

I think the NFL should adopt college football's setup where each team gets the ball at say the 35 (I think college gets it at the 25) and let them battle it out in a shootout format. That would be VERY exciting and could be downright WILD for fantasy football. We'd be rooting for like four overtime periods and touchdowns in every period. But who cares? It would be "must see TV."

Thoughts?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:42 am

In the event of a tie through regulation, the teams should play "HORSE" with their kickers. Each kicker attempts a 25 yard field goal. If only one makes it, that team wins. If both make it, each kicker attempts a 30 yard field goal. Then 35. Then 40. And so on. Eventually, someone misses and the game is over. If they both miss on the same distance attempt, the game ends in a tie.

This is FOOTball, afterall, isn't it?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:45 am

Funny you mentioned this Greg, as a co-worker suggested the exact same thing this morning.

He suggested that you have to score a TD in order to win, as most NFL kickers can knock out a 50 yarder, which means the team that "wins the flip" only has to get to the opponents 33.

Instead of starting at the 35, I say have it set up similar to baseball, where the "other team" (the team who didn't score first in OT) has the opportunity to match or exceed the other team on ONE possession.

For example, Team A wins the toss, and comes down and kicks a FG. They then kickoff to Team B, and they would have to get at least a FG to tie (and then they would kick off), or if they scored a TD, they would win and game over. Of course if they can't score, the game is over also.

Sure would make the whole "well it is 1st down and we are on the 20, so lets run 3 straight times up the middle to keep the ball in the middle of the field" more interesting.

Also, just think the excitement it would bring on whether teams would choose to go for two on the conversion! :D

You are right though, it does need to be changed. Unless you are the Lions and elect to kick , you are at a serious advantage of scoring first in a "sudden death format" simply because you won a coin flip. :rolleyes:

[ November 14, 2008, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:48 am

I agree and also think that college should move the ball to the 35. I think starting in FG range is wrong. You should have to earn a shot at points.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:51 am

Oh yea, and no more ties! Don't they happen like every 4 years anyhow?

Clock runs, but if after 15 minutes one team is driving, they are still tied, no one has scored yet, etc, you go to DOUBLE overtime!

It could be like baseball and hockey COMBINED! :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:54 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
In the event of a tie through regulation, the teams should play "HORSE" with their kickers. Each kicker attempts a 25 yard field goal. If only one makes it, that team wins. If both make it, each kicker attempts a 30 yard field goal. Then 35. Then 40. And so on. Eventually, someone misses and the game is over. If they both miss on the same distance attempt, the game ends in a tie.

This is FOOTball, afterall, isn't it? I saw a story recently that showed how accurate today's pro kickers have become and how anything inside 50 yards is almost automatic. I think the success rate is at an all-time high this year, but I may be wrong. Anyway, you are seeing teams like the Packers last week run out the clock so that Mason Crosby can set up for a game-winning 52-yard field goal because nowadays that almost seems automatic. Crazy.

At the same time, has anyone noticed how BAD some punters are? The Packers can't find anyone with a hang time above 3.0 and the theory is that punters are so ill-prepared these days to use a two-step approach and get it off strong and quickly.

Now I have to ask: How can field goal kicking be so advanced and punting be so far behind? Since nobody has stepped up as a punter since Ray Guy retired, it's almost criminal not to have that "Guy" in the NFL's Hall of Fame right now. He was far ahead of his peers at his position for a long time and should be in the NFL. Don't you agree Rob?? ;)

Okay, now I'm done ranting for a Friday. :D

[ November 14, 2008, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:20 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:

Clock runs, but if after 15 minutes one team is driving, they are still tied, no one has scored yet, etc, you go to DOUBLE overtime!

It could be like baseball and hockey COMBINED! :D Ties almost never happen. That said, I was absolutely convinced that the Jets/Raiders game was going to end up in a tie -- until Janikowski belted a 57-yarder with about 2 minutes to go in overtime. :mad:

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:32 am

quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:

It could be like baseball and hockey COMBINED! :D Ties almost never happen. That said, I was absolutely convinced that the Jets/Raiders game was going to end up in a tie -- until Janikowski belted a 57-yarder with about 2 minutes to go in overtime. :mad:
[/QUOTE]Glenn, my kudos to Favre and your Jets last night. They played a very good game and still won despite thinking they had to protect a 24-6 lead with a conservative game plan for 2+ quarters.

Favre will get the credit for this turnaround, but the additions of Faneca and Jenkins are the keys to this team being a playoff contender. Don't get me wrong, Favre has been solid thus far and he was his veteran self on both of those last two drives. Nothing rattles him. But put Faneca and Jenkins in Green and Gold and man we'd be tough. :D Instead, Teddy is still $18 million under the salary cap, saving that money for a rainy day. :mad:

Anyway, congrats to Jets' fans. You have a solid team there now that can honestly do some damage in the playoffs.

[ November 14, 2008, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:41 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Glenn, kudos to my Favre and your Jets last nightFixed! :D

I was really hoping you'd wear your "old" Favre jersey at the NFFC Draft -- we could have taken a great picture together!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:50 am

quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Glenn, kudos to my Favre and your Jets last nightFixed! :D

I was really hoping you'd wear your "old" Favre jersey at the NFFC Draft -- we could have taken a great picture together!
[/QUOTE]Sir, I may have to impose a weekend MB ban to you for changing my quote and making me look FOOLISH. :D I believe I've told others not to do that. ;)

Sorry, the Favre Packers' jersey is in mothballs. But I will say, he still looks goofy in that Jets' uniform. I don't know if it's the gray beard, gray hair or what, but I still see Johnny Unitas as a Charger when I see Favre in that Jets' uniform. :D