NFL Should Change Overtime Format

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:54 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Glenn, kudos to my Favre and your Jets last nightFixed! :D

I was really hoping you'd wear your "old" Favre jersey at the NFFC Draft -- we could have taken a great picture together!
[/QUOTE]Sir, I may have to impose a weekend MB ban to you for changing my quote and making me look FOOLISH. :D I believe I've told others not to do that. ;)

Sorry, the Favre Packers' jersey is in mothballs. But I will say, he still looks goofy in that Jets' uniform. I don't know if it's the gray beard, gray hair or what, but I still see Johnny Unitas as a Charger when I see Favre in that Jets' uniform. :D
[/QUOTE]Did you catch Adam Schefter's interview with him after the game? The last question was "Was this why you came back?" Favre smiled and said "Yes."

You gotta love it, Greg. :D

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:03 am

In the event of a tie through regulation, the teams should play "HORSE" with their kickers. Each kicker attempts a 25 yard field goal. If only one makes it, that team wins. If both make it, each kicker attempts a 30 yard field goal. Then 35. Then 40. And so on. Eventually, someone misses and the game is over. If they both miss on the same distance attempt, the game ends in a tie.

This is FOOTball, afterall, isn't it? Now I have to ask: How can field goal kicking be so advanced and punting be so far behind?
[/QUOTE]What I miss is punters trying to "go for the corner". Now they just kick it right down the middle of the field and hope they get a good bounce that keeps it from going in the end zone.

Banging a punt that goes out inside the 5 CAN'T be that difficult. I mean honestly, as a punter, what else is there to possibly improve on?? :confused:

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:11 am

I say put it at the 40 or 50 and each get a shot.

But I agree, the current OT setup is dated and boring as hell.

I also think if you fair catch a ball on Special Teams there should be no penalties enforced except Personal Fouls or Unsportsmanlike Conduct. A block in the back on a fair catch that draws a penalty is maddening!

I also believe that coaches should be able to challenge Pass Interference, either called or not. This is the single largest penalty in all of sports! The referee should be able to review it.

Finally, I think an official should be suspended if they throw a flag for a major offense and the replay shows it didn't happen. I mean, you need to see it and be positive it happens or keep the hankie in your pocket. Too many times I've seen Facemask called where there isn't one. Or Horse Collar.

That is all.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:56 am

Now that you brought it up Russ, I do have one more beef:

Why the hell is a 5-yard illegal contact foul an automatic first down? I mean, why is a holding call 10 yards but not an automatic first down, but a 5-yard illegal contact foul an automatic first down? I've seen too many games this year decided by the referees that it makes even this die-hard NFL fan sick to his stomach. The NFL should realize that this is diluting its product.

A five-yard illegal contact foul should be five yards or if it's so bad, make it 10 or 15 yards. But NOT an automatic first down.

Oh, and that pass interference call on Vrabel near the goal-line last night was laughable. I wonder if the refs are embarrassed by their calls when they see the tape. That was harmless at best at a CRITICAL point of a very good game that turned a field goal into a touchdown.

[ November 14, 2008, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:24 am

why is a personal foul 15 yards but not an automatic first downFAIL

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:46 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
why is a personal foul 15 yards but not an automatic first downFAIL [/QUOTE]Is this better: why is a holding call 10 yards but not an automatic first down
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:16 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Funny you mentioned this Greg, as a co-worker suggested the exact same thing this morning.

He suggested that you have to score a TD in order to win, as most NFL kickers can knock out a 50 yarder, which means the team that "wins the flip" only has to get to the opponents 33.

Instead of starting at the 35, I say have it set up similar to baseball, where the "other team" (the team who didn't score first in OT) has the opportunity to match or exceed the other team on ONE possession.

For example, Team A wins the toss, and comes down and kicks a FG. They then kickoff to Team B, and they would have to get at least a FG to tie (and then they would kick off), or if they scored a TD, they would win and game over. Of course if they can't score, the game is over also.

Sure would make the whole "well it is 1st down and we are on the 20, so lets run 3 straight times up the middle to keep the ball in the middle of the field" more interesting.

Also, just think the excitement it would bring on whether teams would choose to go for two on the conversion! :D

You are right though, it does need to be changed. Unless you are the Lions and elect to kick , you are at a serious advantage of scoring first in a "sudden death format" simply because you won a coin flip. :rolleyes: I like this idea Waz. Carrying your baseball analogy one step further, I'd also eliminate the coin toss and give the away team the ball first with the home team having the last posession to win or tie.

[ November 14, 2008, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:22 am

why is a personal foul 15 yards but not an automatic first downFAIL [/QUOTE]Is this better: why is a holding call 10 yards but not an automatic first down
[/QUOTE]Offensive holding shouldn't be an automatic first down. After all, does ANY offensive penalty result in an automatic first down? Defensive holding (5 yards) does result in a first down for the offense.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:17 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
[/QUOTE]Offensive holding shouldn't be an automatic first down. After all, does ANY offensive penalty result in an automatic first down? Defensive holding (5 yards) does result in a first down for the offense.
[/QUOTE]Sir, that's what I'm arguing AGAINST. Why should a 5-yard penalty be an automatic first down? A team is facing third and 20, gets an illegal contact call and an automatic first down after a five-yard penalty. How many games have the refs altered by throwing that flag and giving a 5-yard penalty? I can think of several already this year.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:27 pm

[/QUOTE]Sir, that's what I'm arguing AGAINST. Why should a 5-yard penalty be an automatic first down? A team is facing third and 20, gets an illegal contact call and an automatic first down after a five-yard penalty. How many games have the refs altered by throwing that flag and giving a 5-yard penalty? I can think of several already this year.
[/QUOTE]If the defense didn't commit the penalty, would the offense have had a chance to run or pass and gain enough yardage to pick up a first down? I believe that's the question that rulesmakers ask when deciding whether to tack on an automatic first down.