NFL Should Change Overtime Format

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:35 pm

I believe the automatic first down comes because the ball isn't in the air. Otherwise, it would be PI and the 15 yarder.

I do agree that it should be more than 5 yards or not an automatic 1st down.

Why is offensive holding 10 yards from the spot of the foul and Defensive holding is 10 from the previous LOS? Or am I mistaken? This makes offensive holding a potential 20+ yard penalty.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:51 pm

Originally posted by Just Russ:
I believe the automatic first down comes because the ball isn't in the air. Otherwise, it would be PI and the 15 yarder.

Why is offensive holding 10 yards from the spot of the foul and Defensive holding is 10 from the previous LOS? Or am I mistaken? This makes offensive holding a potential 20+ yard penalty. Defensive holding is a five-yard penalty, and an automatic firstdown.

Offensive holding is a max-of-10-yards penalty.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:22 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:

Why is offensive holding 10 yards from the spot of the foul and Defensive holding is 10 from the previous LOS? Or am I mistaken? This makes offensive holding a potential 20+ yard penalty. Defensive holding is a five-yard penalty, and an automatic firstdown.

Offensive holding is a max-of-10-yards penalty.
[/QUOTE]Thanks for clarifying. I was thinking of a call during my son's HS game. I believe the officials screwed the call up. They measured of 10 yards from the spot of the foul on offensive holding. It turned into a 17 yard penalty?! :eek:

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:43 am

What if the overtime possesion decision was tied to the opening kickoff?

If you win the coin toss and receive the ball, the other team gets it first in overtime.

If you win the coin toss and kick first, you get the ball first if there is overtime.

This would add more weight to your initial decision to kick or receive and would add a layer of strategy, making the coin toss more important.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

renman

Post by renman » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:15 am

I think I have brought this exact thing up every single year the NFFC has been in existance and got attacked every single year...lol

It is a joke that an NFL game can go into overtime and then a coin flip decides who has a major advantage. Now obviously not all games end on the first drive.. but when they do.. it leaves a VERY bad taste in the mouths of at least half the audience.

I simply think that IF a team scores on the first possession, the other team gets one possession. If the team who gets the ball 1st does not score.. well you just play it out. As long as each team touches the ball once it is leaps and bounds more fair (and appeaing to watch) than the way it is now...

While we are talking about it.. I think the pass interference call needs to be re-visited. Nothing can change an NFL game like some joke pass interference call where a team throws up a bomb and a defensive back, running at full speed, chasing a 6'2" track star, somehow touches a portion of his jersey waving in the wind, and gets called for a 54 yard spot foul penalty. These calls, which are often horrible, profoundly impact games. I am not sure if it is replay.. I am not sure if there should be a "flagrant" pass interference call and a incidental call... but something has to change.

[ November 19, 2008, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Renman ]

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:38 am

Imagine a World Series game where a coin flip decides who gets a chance to hit, if they score they win.

That sounds idiotic to me just like the current NFL overtime rule.

3INTBOY

Post by 3INTBOY » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:48 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
Imagine a World Series game where a coin flip decides who gets a chance to hit, if they score they win.

That sounds idiotic to me just like the current NFL overtime rule. Worse yet...imagine a NFL Playoff Game or the Superbowl ending in a tie...

ROFLMAO.

Gents, the NFL will NEVER chance the current OT rules. NEVER. And why you may ask?

Television men....Fox ain't gonna be happy f everyone is watching CBS and a 4 OT game. Advertisers aren't happy and that means money isn't happy...

It is what it is, and it ain't changing because of money.

3'

liquidhippo

Post by liquidhippo » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:15 am

Amen Greg. Agree 1000%. Well said. The NFL is the only sport in which the overtime period is the most boring part of the game. It's like watching paint dry. You see teams kinda/sorta win.... gradually, as they move deeper into field goal range. Lame. Not to mention that TD's aren't even an after thought. It's all about the Field Goal, which is just a reward for failure anyway(it rewards teams who can't take it to the house).

No excuse for the NFL not to adopt the College OT system. I think it's only a matter of time until they cave in and embrace it. The fans demand it.

[ November 20, 2008, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Liquid Hippo ]

renman

Post by renman » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:28 am

3int,

How many multiple OT games do you think would happen based on my generic idea? I say 1 every 3 or 4 years years. It would not happen often. Maybe a rule would be put in that in overtime if you score a TD you must go for 2 points (to even make it harder to end in a tie as 2 pt conversions are not guaranteed like extra points are)...

I am not sure what plan is needed but this issue will get addressed (in my opinion) because each year more and more people (including media people and former players with clout) rant about it. The NFL is not about leaving a bad taste in the mouths of fans... these games irritate at least half the audience every time... This also does not take into consideration how BORING overtime is for the reasons outlined by Liquid Hippo...

I bet we see some change in the next 3 years... though I do understand your point (as someone who worked in network tv NFL coverage) about games fitting a time slot and catering to advertising dollars

DIESEL02

Post by DIESEL02 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:22 pm

Hey guys I do some flag and touch football reffing and the reason it's an automatic first down is because if a defender were to just tackle ..knock down..or basically do whatever neccesary to make sure the offensive player didn't beat them.. the defense would gain an advantage thus avoiding the pass interference penalty.

It has to be a first down to keep them from gaining that advantage..imagine at the goal line with illegal contact all defenders would pummel the offensive player and it would only be half the distance to the goal from the five in....

Hope it clarifies the situation somewhat
"Fortis fortuna adiuvat"-"Fortune favors the brave"