NFL Should Change Overtime Format

TURBOUGH

Post by TURBOUGH » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:59 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Now that you brought it up Russ, I do have one more beef:

Why the hell is a 5-yard illegal contact foul an automatic first down? I mean, why is a holding call 10 yards but not an automatic first down, but a 5-yard illegal contact foul an automatic first down? I've seen too many games this year decided by the referees that it makes even this die-hard NFL fan sick to his stomach. The NFL should realize that this is diluting its product.

A five-yard illegal contact foul should be five yards or if it's so bad, make it 10 or 15 yards. But NOT an automatic first down.

Oh, and that pass interference call on Vrabel near the goal-line last night was laughable. I wonder if the refs are embarrassed by their calls when they see the tape. That was harmless at best at a CRITICAL point of a very good game that turned a field goal into a touchdown. There are only two defensive penalties that are not automatic first downs. Am I correct? Can you name them?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:41 am

Originally posted by TURBOUGH:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Why the hell is a 5-yard illegal contact foul an automatic first down? I mean, why is a holding call 10 yards but not an automatic first down, but a 5-yard illegal contact foul an automatic first down? I've seen too many games this year decided by the referees that it makes even this die-hard NFL fan sick to his stomach. The NFL should realize that this is diluting its product.

A five-yard illegal contact foul should be five yards or if it's so bad, make it 10 or 15 yards. But NOT an automatic first down.

Oh, and that pass interference call on Vrabel near the goal-line last night was laughable. I wonder if the refs are embarrassed by their calls when they see the tape. That was harmless at best at a CRITICAL point of a very good game that turned a field goal into a touchdown. There are only two defensive penalties that are not automatic first downs. Am I correct? Can you name them?
[/QUOTE]Offsides and running into the punter. Both are 5 yard penalties.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

TURBOUGH

Post by TURBOUGH » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:09 am

Ok. I guess there is three. 12-men on the field.

Agree with you though regarding the hands to the face being an automatic first down.

wayne123

Post by wayne123 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:27 pm

First team to 4 points in OT wins the game with no ties.
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

renman

Post by renman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:03 am

Originally posted by Renman:
I think I have brought this exact thing up every single year the NFFC has been in existance and got attacked every single year...lol

It is a joke that an NFL game can go into overtime and then a coin flip decides who has a major advantage. Now obviously not all games end on the first drive.. but when they do.. it leaves a VERY bad taste in the mouths of at least half the audience.

I simply think that IF a team scores on the first possession, the other team gets one possession. If the team who gets the ball 1st does not score.. well you just play it out. As long as each team touches the ball once it is leaps and bounds more fair (and appeaing to watch) than the way it is now...

While we are talking about it.. I think the pass interference call needs to be re-visited. Nothing can change an NFL game like some joke pass interference call where a team throws up a bomb and a defensive back, running at full speed, chasing a 6'2" track star, somehow touches a portion of his jersey waving in the wind, and gets called for a 54 yard spot foul penalty. These calls, which are often horrible, profoundly impact games. I am not sure if it is replay.. I am not sure if there should be a "flagrant" pass interference call and a incidental call... but something has to change. Interesting how this above post so profoundly impacted last nights game.

-Team winning the coin flip wins the game without the other team ever seeing a possession (bad taste in the mouths of everyone in the country outside of Bears fans)

-Team got a 50+ yard penalty on a VERY questionable pass interferance calls on an underthrown ball where the DB had to deal with a receiver that suddenly stops running.

I had no vested interest in that game... but it was the classic example of my above post and also why Greg started this thread. If anyone did a 'search' and typed in 'overtime' for a search in the "subject" for the NFL/fantasy football portion of the board.. I believe there are 4 other threads over the years on this exact topic.

[ December 12, 2008, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: Renman ]

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:18 am

Originally posted by TURBOUGH:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

[/QUOTE]Number 93 was giving him the business, not an automatic first down. But the best call by a Ref. :D

John

bill

Post by bill » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:34 am

1. So many rules that favor the offense.
2. Kick off from the 30 to increase chance of a good kick off return.
3. Field goal kickers that are very accurate from 50 to 55 yards so team often only needs to gain 25 to 40 yards to be in field goal range after the return.

It is incredible how much of an advantage a team receives from winning the coin flip.

I agree completely with what Renman suggested.

I have been saying this to my friends for years. Keep the overtime system exactly the way it is except both teams need to have one possession. If the score is still tied after this, next score wins. Not a perfect answer but MUCH fairer than the current sysytem.

I did have a lot riding on the Saints winning last night. Having the coin flip issue AND the pass interference call are tough to stomach.

The long pass where the ball is slightly underthrown and the receiver slows down to cause the DB to make contact is a very tough penalty. Especially since the receiver is actually creating the contact by slowing down when the DB is running at full speed only a few feet away.

I hate to complain about something and not offer a better solution. Not sure what the answer is to this type of penalty. Maybe there should be a differnce in the type of pass interference penalty. There is a big difference between a WR being stopped and DB hitting the WR before the ball arrives and the type of penalty that decided the game last night. When WR and DB are both running at full speed on a deep pattern and the WR suddenly slows down to create contact, maybe this could be a 10 yard penalty.

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:58 am

Saints should have kicked an on-side kick, that was there only chance of winning.

John

bill

Post by bill » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:16 am

The Saints D actually stopped the Bears O most of the game (especially in the second half until the end of the 4th quarter drive). You take away the kickoff returns and the long pass interference calls, the Saints D played pretty good. Of course it may have been more of the typical conservative, below average offense of the Bears than the Saints D playing well.

bill

Post by bill » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:24 am

I have a significant bet that the Bears win less than 8 games in the regular season. I was so confident back in August. Bad offensive line, top offensive tackle draft pick hurt, questions at RB and QB and WR and I believed they had an over-rated D. Never expected Forte and Orton to play so well and I am shocked the O-Line turned out ok.
I really needed the Bears to lose last night.