The anatomy of a winning squad.

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:10 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
THAT IS GOOD STUFF BLUE FOOT. HOWEVER AS WE KNOW IN FANTAST YOU CAN'T HAVE EVERYTHING YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE HOLES ESPECIALLY IN A 14 TEAM LEAGUE AND THE QUALITY OF TALENT OF OWNERS THE NFFC BRINGS.
[/QB][/quote]

Especially with KOTRAX sitting down the table from you taking your picks! :D

Wayne [/QB][/quote]

I KNOW I DIDN'T STEAL NY PICKS FROM YOU WAYNE AS I FEEL YOU DID WELL THIS PAST WEEKEND.

YOU ARE DEFINITELY GOING TO BE FORCE. IT WAS ALSO NICE PUTTING FACES WITH SOME OF THE MESSAGE BOARD NAMES.

THE INTERESTING THING IS THAT I STILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH YOU IN THE "SNAKE CLASSIC" WHICH IS NEVER AN EASY TASK.

[ September 02, 2008, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: KOTRAX ]

El Diablo

Post by El Diablo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:40 am

Go Getta , u did however pluck Derek Anderson from the waiver pool , and he was close , if not in the top 4 Qb's last year.... My keys are 1) a solid draft and 2) get lucky to stay away from injuries < seems this wasnt even mentioned, then 3) use your waiver money correctly , and this can really help if u hit an a guy or two....And #3 is the only spot u got us in last year GO Getta , so obviously it is a very important factor , though not as glamorous as taking guys u wanted in the draft...Not trying to take anything away from u GO GETTA , as u may have thought in one of my other posts... just didnt think u had a great draft last year when i saw it in the mag , but hey u won , so who am i?

Inf4life

Post by Inf4life » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:45 am

Originally posted by El Diablo:
Go Getta , u did however pluck Derek Anderson from the waiver pool , and he was close , if not in the top 4 Qb's last year.... My keys are 1) a solid draft and 2) get lucky to stay away from injuries < seems this wasnt even mentioned, then 3) use your waiver money correctly , and this can really help if u hit an a guy or two....And #3 is the only spot u got us in last year GO Getta , so obviously it is a very important factor , though not as glamorous as taking guys u wanted in the draft...Not trying to take anything away from u GO GETTA , as u may have thought in one of my other posts... just didnt think u had a great draft last year when i saw it in the mag , but hey u won , so who am i? We missed on Kitna, Thomas Jones and Droughns but other than that the draft was spot on. We made up with those missteps in free agency. That's what good teams do. Identify weaknesses and take actions to fix them. From the other post you definitely were trying to take something away from us by calling us "lucky". If the Chargers hadn't sat LT the second half of the last 2 games of the playoffs we would've blown you out and it wouldn't have been close. And who are you?? The guys that came in second. Good luck this year.
2007 NFFC Classic Champion

wayne123

Post by wayne123 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:49 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
I believe the Blue Foot analysis of "what it takes" is just plain wrong.

It would take an article length post to explain why but I'll leave it at that. That was awsome...LMAO!
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

wayne123

Post by wayne123 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:04 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
I think there are MANY ways to build a winning squad.

To say you need a "top QB" on draft day IMO is not correct, as I have made the playoffs 3 of the 4 years and took my QB's in the 6th, 8th, and 9th rounds in those years. While I won't disagree on paper that there are 4 QB's above the others this year, I would bet that all 4 of the aforementioned QB's do not finish in the top 4 in scoring at year's end. You CAN win with one, but your "meat and potatoes" (RB's and WR) need to be productive also.

Many different ways to skin a cat, so many strategies will work. OK. I will buy that! More than one strategy certainly exists and more than one can result in a winning team.

I tried to stick to the above plan and I did fall short. As mentioned in some of the previous posts, taking a QB in round two left me weak at WR. The draft simply ran out of quality at WR before I got my second (part of the issue may have been I snagged my 3rd RB instead of a low end #2 WR. Despite this, I stuck to my plan and got #1s (even though they are not rated high..ones like Gage and Curry/Walker). I still think leading WR on bad teams are better than back-ups on good ones when you have to start them beginning week#1.

At least one post asked for my roster. Honestly, I think I have a very good chance this year after following the strategy I outlined above. Here are my picks:

1. Owens
2. Romo (must have one of top 4)
3. Grant
4. McGahee
5. Parker (rb depth a must)
6. Clark
7. Shockey (TEs are important/have a Back-up)
8. Curry (time to target any remaining #1 WRs)

Also got: Walker, Johnson, Hardy, Sweed, Cowboys DF, Gostkowski PK.

So there it is...I went in with a strategy and stuck to it. Other strategies make work and anything could happen. But, regardless of how the season goes...at least I finally stuck to my draft plan.

Cheers and good luck everyone!
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

wayne123

Post by wayne123 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:06 am

Oh yeah...also picked up D. Foster as a handcuff and Garrett Wolfe as a long-shot.
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

Inf4life

Post by Inf4life » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:13 am

Good luck with that team. You have 3 starting RB's and two quality starting TE's. That means that you will have either Shockey or FWP on the bench any given week. Kind of a waste if you ask me. Now if one of your players go down with injury then it will look genius. Good luck.
2007 NFFC Classic Champion

renman

Post by renman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:08 pm

Go getta,

I like how you view this. You come off like one of those owners who takes responsibility for his results. I personally think competitive fantasy football is very much about skill, knowledge, experience, etc... Not primarily about luck...

In another threat someone asked what the number one killer is for most fantasy teams... my answer seemed to be in the minority... We draft the best we can... make adjustments on the fly during the draft (since they almost never go the way we plan or want) and try to manage the team and improve the team via free agency during the season...

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:28 pm

Blue Foot,

This is my and my 14YO son's first year in the NFFC, so my newbie input may not carry much weight. ;)

I know there's been a lot of talk about the importance of a top QB in these leagues, but as you know, when you take a QB that early, you end up w/ holes elsewhere. My personal preference is to build a solid set of WRs/RBs then try to find a mid-round QB who has a shot of outperforming his ADP (i.e. Cutler, McNabb). Of course, when opportunity presents itself in a draft, strategies are altered. For example, we never intended to take a TE in rd. 4, but when faced w/ starting the next tier of WRs or RBs, we felt it better to take the 2nd best TE.

I punched your roster into my projections spreadsheet, which uses Rotoworld's projections and the NFFC scoring system. (I didn't bother w/ the DST's pts. allowed tho, but it's all pretty relative.)

Here are your team's results:

WR OwensTerrellDAL 266
QB RomoTonyDAL 381
RB GrantRyanGB 216
RB McGaheeWillisBAL 194
RB ParkerWilliePIT 153
TE ShockeyJeremyNO 188
WR CurryRonaldOAK 161
WR WalkerJavonOAK 121
DST DAL 129
K GostkowskiStephenNE 135
---------------------------
Total................. 1943

Your projected starting roster would rank 11th in our league. Not only does an owner take a hit when they draft a QB that early, but if you take a 3rd RB as your flex, your WRs get even worse. The hit is often at WR, as you witnessed.

Having to start 3 WRs, plus w/ them getting a full PPR vs. RBs 1/2, our strategy was to get quality WRs and wait on a QB.

For comparison, our roster:

RB BarberMarionDAL 231
WR ColstonMarquesNO 280
WR BoldinAnquanARI 257
TE WinslowKellenCLE 213
RB YoungSelvinDEN 170
QB CutlerJayDEN 345
WR CraytonPatrickDAL 161
RB TaylorChesterMIN 140
DST CHI 154
K KaedingNateSD 123
-------------------------
Total............... 2074

But we really don't plan to flex Taylor. More likely to use Bryant Johnson or Antonio Bryant. But for projection purposes, I just used the players w/ the highest projected points.

Good luck this season. There are certainly lots of strategies that can work once injuries, lineup decisions, waivers, etc. start factoring in.

Regards,
Mike

[ September 02, 2008, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:57 pm

Mike,

I would stay away from Rotoworld's projections.

:D

They sure are down on some of the players that most are high on.

Wayne