The anatomy of a winning squad.

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:57 pm

I thought what you did was interesting ... so I projected the line ups myself.

WR OwensTerrellDAL 277
QB RomoTonyDAL 370
RB GrantRyanGB 194
RB McGaheeWillisBAL 175
RB ParkerWilliePIT 157
TE ShockeyJeremyNO 166
WR CurryRonaldOAK 155
WR WalkerJavonOAK 151
DST DAL 163
K GostkowskiStephenNE 139
---------------------------
Total................. 1947

RB BarberMarionDAL 231
WR ColstonMarquesNO 253
WR BoldinAnquanARI 216
TE WinslowKellenCLE 183
RB YoungSelvinDEN 177
QB CutlerJayDEN 312
WR CraytonPatrickDAL 156
RB TaylorChesterMIN 111
DST CHI 148
K KaedingNateSD 137
-------------------------
Total............... 1924

Between these two starting line ups ... I actually like yours the best because I think you have more upside and less downside.

I think his team projects higher.

The difference between Romo and Cutler is more than 36 IMHO.

The Bears defense is not as good as the Cowboys (no chance the Bears score 25 more points than the Boy's ... seriously ... it's not 2 years ago).

No way T.O. scores less than the average of Colston and Boldin.

Those are my takes ... thanks for posting this.

Mike
Hakuna Matata!

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:12 pm

Good points Mike. There are obviously numerous sites whose projections could be used. I tend to agree more w/ Rotoworld's thoughts/stats than CBS' (where my 2 local leagues are hosted), so I used Rotoworld this year.

We have T.O. as a keeper for 5 yrs. now in one league and I hope you're right. But if his TDs went down a bit, I could see Colston outscoring him this year. Not sure about Boldin, but both of them will likely catch more balls than T.O., so it's really T.O.'s TDs that boosts his output. And from year to year, TDs fluctuate. Not to mention T.O.'s quite a bit older than both of them.

Thanks for taking a look tho. As long as you're providing your own projections, what would you say for Bryant Johnson and Antonio Bryant instead of Chester?

[ September 02, 2008, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

wayne123

Post by wayne123 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:42 pm

Originally posted by Sandman62:
Blue Foot,

This is my and my 14YO son's first year in the NFFC, so my newbie input may not carry much weight. ;)

I know there's been a lot of talk about the importance of a top QB in these leagues, but as you know, when you take a QB that early, you end up w/ holes elsewhere. My personal preference is to build a solid set of WRs/RBs then try to find a mid-round QB who has a shot of outperforming his ADP (i.e. Cutler, McNabb). Of course, when opportunity presents itself in a draft, strategies are altered. For example, we never intended to take a TE in rd. 4, but when faced w/ starting the next tier of WRs or RBs, we felt it better to take the 2nd best TE.

I punched your roster into my projections spreadsheet, which uses Rotoworld's projections and the NFFC scoring system. (I didn't bother w/ the DST's pts. allowed tho, but it's all pretty relative.)

Here are your team's results:

WR OwensTerrellDAL 266
QB RomoTonyDAL 381
RB GrantRyanGB 216
RB McGaheeWillisBAL 194
RB ParkerWilliePIT 153
TE ShockeyJeremyNO 188
WR CurryRonaldOAK 161
WR WalkerJavonOAK 121
DST DAL 129
K GostkowskiStephenNE 135
---------------------------
Total................. 1943

Your projected starting roster would rank 11th in our league. Not only does an owner take a hit when they draft a QB that early, but if you take a 3rd RB as your flex, your WRs get even worse. The hit is often at WR, as you witnessed.

Having to start 3 WRs, plus w/ them getting a full PPR vs. RBs 1/2, our strategy was to get quality WRs and wait on a QB.

For comparison, our roster:

RB BarberMarionDAL 231
WR ColstonMarquesNO 280
WR BoldinAnquanARI 257
TE WinslowKellenCLE 213
RB YoungSelvinDEN 170
QB CutlerJayDEN 345
WR CraytonPatrickDAL 161
RB TaylorChesterMIN 140
DST CHI 154
K KaedingNateSD 123
-------------------------
Total............... 2074

But we really don't plan to flex Taylor. More likely to use Bryant Johnson or Antonio Bryant. But for projection purposes, I just used the players w/ the highest projected points.

Good luck this season. There are certainly lots of strategies that can work once injuries, lineup decisions, waivers, etc. start factoring in.

Regards,
Mike LOL! If you are serious you are truly a rookie! If you are just making a joke...thats a lot of work for so little reward....but I applaud the effort.
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

El Diablo

Post by El Diablo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:59 pm

Yes Go Getta we are the guys that came in 2nd, and i didnt want to get into if's cuz we all know how it turned out . But since u brought it up i think u should know that regardless of LT being benched for 1 quarter(not 2) your so called blowout was really just a series of "LUCKY" breaks for u... Lets go through our IFS: "if" Westbrook didnt take a knee 6pts , If T.O. didnt get hurt in the 1st quarter in the last week? , If Colston didnt get hurt in the last week( i know u had him 2) . "If" my stubborn partner woulda let me put in Scheffler instead of Berrian ! +17 points , and thats the big IF...."IF" Brady wouldnt have had negative points in the 2nd half of last playoff week, "IF" Westbrook woulda had more than 0 pts in the 2nd half of the last playoff week! SO u see it wasn't such a "blowout" afterall , and even IF LT woulda played the 4th quarter! So "IF" u didnt get luck then how did u win? Being dead on with the 1st pick is hard , but honestly Colston and Witten were ur spot on picks , the rest , lackluster....THE AMBIGUOUSLY GAY DUO , good luck 2 u guys also , u will need it! PS "IF" u care to make a wager on this year , we still havent cashed that 20,000 dollar check. Name the wager!

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:03 pm

Geez...I've never heard so much whining from a team that finished 2nd overall...in all the high stakes leagues. (There have been many!!!)

...in the last 6+ years.

...and one who had an attention w.hore team name.

Go away, and try again!

Get over it.

YOU LOST.

Welcome to 2008!

~Lance

[ September 03, 2008, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:06 pm

Lance, what was the 2nd place finishers team name? I'm surprised the results are nowhere to be found on the homepage...just regular season ending stuff (and we know what that gets you!)

I was rooting for the GAYS myself...
@RedRyder

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:08 pm

HA!!!!!

See you in two days Jules!!!

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:04 am

Originally posted by Blue_Foot:
LOL! If you are serious you are truly a rookie! If you are just making a joke...thats a lot of work for so little reward....but I applaud the effort.Wow, no need for insults. You started this thread to basically flaunt your unproven superior strategy and I politely suggested that your team's WR weakness offsets the strength you have at QB.

And this didn't take much of my time, seeing I had all the projections setup for my draft.

I may be a newb to NFFC, but I'm NOT a newb at this game, having won and been in numerous local Super Bowls.

Good luck w/ your almighty team (and your corps of WR3s - after T.O.). ;)

[ September 03, 2008, 06:08 AM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:36 am

Thanks for taking a look tho. As long as you're providing your own projections, what would you say for Bryant Johnson and Antonio Bryant instead of Chester? Ignore the bashers out here.

It's fun to see what software projects a team to do. what else do you do with this until the season starts. I like A Bryant more than B Johnson. AB has a nice upside and could really put up numbers this year (or NOT ... lol). Johnson is with a pack of guys on a bad team. I like them for your 4 and 5 though ... nice.

Ugly
Hakuna Matata!

wayne123

Post by wayne123 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:41 am

quote:Originally posted by Blue_Foot:
LOL! If you are serious you are truly a rookie! If you are just making a joke...thats a lot of work for so little reward....but I applaud the effort.Wow, no need for insults. You started this thread to basically flaunt your unproven superior strategy and I politely suggested that your team's WR weakness offsets the strength you have at QB.

And this didn't take much of my time, seeing I had all the projections setup for my draft.

I may be a newb to NFFC, but I'm NOT a newb at this game, having won and been in numerous local Super Bowls.

Good luck w/ your almighty team (and your corps of WR3s - after T.O.). ;) [/QUOTE]OK. That might have sounded a little curt in print. I didn't really mean it sound like a serious insult, I was really just being sarcastic. You made some great points. Cheers and good luck this season!
I AM BLUE_FOOT.