WCOFF

Greg Ambrosius

WCOFF

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:04 am

I must admit that I have been reading both the WCOFF and FFPC boards the last 10 days or so to stay on top of this situation. Although we are competitors in this space, we certainly are hoping for the best here. The last thing our industry needs is a high-profile contest not paying in full and the last thing consumers need right now is winning high-profile leagues and not being paid in full. I think EVERYONE in this industry wants to get past those days.

Many of those still awaiting football payments are good customers of ours and I've talked to many of these folks recently. It's frustrating and the lack of information makes it even more frustrating. Again, I hope this gets resolved soon because it impacts all of us in this space. All of us game operators in this space MUST be more responsible or we will be inviting government to step in and police this space for us.

I'm hoping for the best here and now is not the time for me or anyone else in this competitive space to be piling on (which there seems to be some of that going on). I hope our customers can keep us updated on this thread with anything that happens there and hopefully all past winnings will be paid in full soon. Then after that consumers can make their choices for 2011, which hopefully will be available if a labor agreement is reached in time.

Good luck everyone and we're hoping for the best.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

mkrucek

WCOFF

Post by mkrucek » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:24 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
I must admit that I have been reading both the WCOFF and FFPC boards the last 10 days or so to stay on top of this situation. Although we are competitors in this space, we certainly are hoping for the best here. The last thing our industry needs is a high-profile contest not paying in full and the last thing consumers need right now is winning high-profile leagues and not being paid in full. I think EVERYONE in this industry wants to get past those days.

Many of those still awaiting football payments are good customers of ours and I've talked to many of these folks recently. It's frustrating and the lack of information makes it even more frustrating. Again, I hope this gets resolved soon because it impacts all of us in this space. All of us game operators in this space MUST be more responsible or we will be inviting government to step in and police this space for us.

I'm hoping for the best here and now is not the time for me or anyone else in this competitive space to be piling on (which there seems to be some of that going on). I hope our customers can keep us updated on this thread with anything that happens there and hopefully all past winnings will be paid in full soon. Then after that consumers can make their choices for 2011, which hopefully will be available if a labor agreement is reached in time.

Good luck everyone and we're hoping for the best. Unfortunately the lack of ANY communication form WCOFF management invites what is happening. They will talk on the phone for 30 minutes but not respond to their customers on the message board. They continue to tell people to expect payment and don't deliver. People send emails asking when they will be paid and they go unanswered. Others are lied to.

The HSFF community is not large. Yet their management acts like there is an unlimited supply of people waiting to pony up a couple thousand dollars to play. So why worry about their current customers? At least that's the appearance they give. It's unfortunate that players should even have to question whether they will be paid or not. But the total disregard for the customer is something that I can't imagine will serve them well going forward.
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

Greg Ambrosius

WCOFF

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:48 am

Originally posted by 4D:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Good luck everyone and we're hoping for the best. Unfortunately the lack of ANY communication form WCOFF management invites what is happening. They will talk on the phone for 30 minutes but not respond to their customers on the message board. They continue to tell people to expect payment and don't deliver. People send emails asking when they will be paid and they go unanswered. Others are lied to.

The HSFF community is not large. Yet their management acts like there is an unlimited supply of people waiting to pony up a couple thousand dollars to play. So why worry about their current customers? At least that's the appearance they give. It's unfortunate that players should even have to question whether they will be paid or not. But the total disregard for the customer is something that I can't imagine will serve them well going forward.
[/QUOTE]I understand that, but all the prodding in the world on their boards isn't changing a thing as you can see. I can't imagine ignoring my customers' questions and requests for even a few hours, but the obvious reason must be that there is nothing new to report. It's a shame, but silence can be more harmful than the down and dirty truth. I think that's what everyone is saying, but it's not getting through to management. Customers want to know the bad news more than no news, right?

I don't want to criticize anyone, but it's unfortunate what is happening there, yet I don't like everything I'm seeing on other sites, either. No game operator should be relishing in this moment and I hope nobody is. The customers can say "I told you so" all they want, but some of the unfactual posts and innuendos by past customers borders on libelous at times and just hurts those customers still waiting for payment. It does none of us any good to fight in the dirt; it just gets everyone dirty. I'm not going there, I'll tell you that.

I want to see more facts and I want to see everyone paid. I've worked long and hard in this space and good customers have battled long and hard in this space to see this passed over to legislators. None of us want to see a penny not paid out BY ANY OF THE GAME PROVIDERS LEFT. The pay-to-play space is shrinking not expanding and this is one of the reasons why. It's tough to trust anyone anymore.

Let's hope "a big announcement" comes and people get paid. Then we can all compete again fairly and let the consumer make the final call. Sound good?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Erok

WCOFF

Post by Erok » Tue May 03, 2011 5:09 am

FWIW...

I finally won money in WCOFF after playing there for three years. I won a little over 2K. I had to email Dustin for about 4 weeks straight asking him where my money was. It kept getting delayed,etc.....I stayed on it and finally got my check. I found it odd that my check was just a blank check written out & signed by Dustin (much like the four or five sample checks you get when you sign up for a new bank acct. No company name or address embossed on the check.)

Anyways I am glad I got paid and I hope all of you guys do too. (I also lucked out at AFFL and got paid before they went down.)

My opinion on this is that the prize money is tied up in some kind of a 6-12 month CD or other (unlikely). Or that it was invested somewhere and currently that investment suffered a negative hit costing a large percentage of the prize money to be lost. I am only speculating at this point. However, it does seem like there may be a ponzi-like scheme going on there.

I have played high stakes leagues now for 7 years. NFFC was my first and IMO they are still the best due to Greg and Tom. They have always been great in their CS department and answering questions on anything. I think FFPC is also doing a great job since they started.

The only reason I played WCOFF was due to the daily availability of the $125- $220 drafts. It was great to log in at night and see a $125 draft needed 1-2 more guys and you could jump in and be drafting in 2 hours. I ended up in about 14 leagues doing that, plus it was great practice for my NFFC & FFPC drafts. The NFFC has the best playoff format and I think FFPC made the right decision by copying that format. I even use it in my local leagues. I hated the WCOFF playoff format though and made that known to Dustin.

Speaking of which, Dustin and Jill were always fine to work with too and that is why this is troublesome to read about one of the industry's most respected and longest lasting institutions.
It is sad to see this industry in the state of flux that it is in and I hope things improve quickly and settle down for the long term. I also hope FFPC & NFFC plan on offering more $125- $250 online satellite leagues this year.

BILLY WAZ.....let me know if you got an opening in your private DC League. I will send you some Jim's Sauce if you do:)

Greg Ambrosius

WCOFF

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 03, 2011 2:05 pm

Erok, interesting points. The WCOFF money isn't tied up in a 6-12 month CD because it would be foolish to make 2-3% and not pay out your winners on time. That's a losing proposition. I'm sure they didn't invest it in other ways that caused losses, either.

I think others have probably speculated more accurately. It's not good for anyone in our industry and there are other contests that haven't paid 2010 football winnings yet either, with Rapid Draft having a $100,000 winner. These are not good for consumers, game operators or anyone else looking at this space.

We will have plenty of $125 and $250 satellite leagues this year, mainly in the 14-team format. Good luck to you and welcome back for another interesting NFFC season.

Raiders

WCOFF

Post by Raiders » Thu May 05, 2011 2:02 am

Greg,

You posted: ' with Rapid Draft having a $100,000 winner. These are not good for consumers, game operators or anyone else looking at this space.'

Just to be clear Rapid Draft has not paid yet? Who runs that Contest?

Thanks,

John

PS. Again Congrats to both You and Tom!