Hoops Leagues forming NOW

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:37 am

Hey all, I'm working with Greg to organize some trial hoops leagues to model for 2005 games additions. I'll hit the big points and describe the remaining issues below:

1. 2 leagues, 12 teams in each.
2. Payouts would include the top 3 in each league.
3. Cost to enter is $250. Prizes will be something like ( may change slightly once admin costs are known ):

1st Place: Free Entry into Main Event NFBC or Main Event NFFC in 2005
2nd Place: Free Entry into NFBC or NFFC Auction $650 league + $250 cash
3rd place: $500 cash

Consolation Prizes: A Nice Memorabilia item (as yet undetermined) will be awarded to the highest scoring team in the final month of the season that does NOT finish in the top 3. Effectively, this is a 4th place prize but only the final 4 weeks of the season count. (We'll explicitly declare dates for start and end here shortly as we get the rules wrapped up.)

4. Scoring will be roto, 8 categories (FT%, FG%, 3PT Made, Pts., Reb, Assts, Blocks, Steals)

5. Starting Lineups:
PG
SG
SF
PF
C
Flex (any guard)
Flex (any forward)
Flex (any)
Flex (any)

Three bench spots

6. Draft is Serpentine (1-12, 12-1)

7. Draft dates will be Tuesday, November 2nd at 8pm EST and Wednesday November 3rd at 11pm EST (always subject to adjustments...)

8. Weekly Lineup Changes

9. FA Budget of $750 before the All Star Break and $750 new dollars after the All Star Break (can be saved and combined for 2nd half)

10. Greg will collect and hold the money and distribute prizes.

To Be Determined:

A. What site will be used to draft and run the league
B. What if we don't fill 2 leagues?
C. How will we determine draft order (random, auction, kentucky derby?? Each league with different format??) My personal opinion would be to try the Kentucky Derby format so let's say that's the 'intention' right now if you need to know before you sign up [This is where you draw a random order and each person gets to pick their spot 1-12 in order of draw, so if you prefer the 3rd pick and you get the 2nd option, you can have your preference.]
D. What am I missing? I'm sure there are at least 2-3 other issues that need to be resolved, what are they?

Quick Notes:

-We should break up the serpentine, we should figure out how to make Garnett walk on land instead of water, we should do this or should do that, I know there are lots of choices. Unfortunately, this is a guinea pig league and some of these issues need to be developed ongoing. I realize there is a lot of data out there in some areas (Hi John!), but still this is the general format we'll try out and you shouldn't play if it seems uncomfortable or you feel 'the Garnett guy is going to win.'

Having said that, please post all thoughts and comments for consideration.

- Why is Dyv doing this and not Greg or Tom? Because I offered to help... administration, setup and planning is what I do all day long. Greg and Tom thought I could be of assistance, so here I am. Feel free to offer your help to Greg and Tom any time you like. I simply see something that needed to be done, so I'm helping do it.

Thanks!

Dave
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:38 am

To join:

1. Post your message board ID and full name here (or email it to me at [email protected])

2. Email Greg with your credit card information and approval to charge you at [email protected]

3. Be attentive over the next few days to discussions and announcements for league formations/site, etc.

Thanks,

Dave

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:52 am

Dyv, the King of Queens is in the house.

jimwiz3

Post by jimwiz3 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:56 am

I'm in.

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:50 pm

I am in : David Lichtman/I Cojones

Greg, I believe the Krause accounting squad is more than familiar with my credit card info!

I would have to do the early draft though -- I wake up too early to think about an 11PM draft.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:38 pm

Are you keeping the no trading rule?
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:54 pm

Yes, no trading allowed.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

ronaldrogers

Post by ronaldrogers » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:30 am

Count me in.

khandy29

Post by khandy29 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:50 am

How would the positions be determined? Are you gonna have some people like Vince Carter be listed at SG/SF so that he would be eligible at multiple positions or will each player just have one designation like Vince would be listed at either SG or SF but not both?

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:12 am

Originally posted by Black Reign:
How would the positions be determined? Are you gonna have some people like Vince Carter be listed at SG/SF so that he would be eligible at multiple positions or will each player just have one designation like Vince would be listed at either SG or SF but not both? I tried to sort this out to come to a 'good' answer, but I think how it's going to work is that whatever stats service we use, we will use THEIR rules on position eligibility. It really makes no sense to come up with our own rules on how to handle it if the system we end up with doesn't allow what we want. I hope to have an answer on this issue over the weekend and we'll simly state in the rules 'eligibility will be whatever stats service allows, regardless of how rational or irrational it may be'

Hoops has far less choice for league services and far less choice for variables... but we'll do the best we can.

Dave