Punt Return/Kick Return TDs

mtreff4

Post by mtreff4 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:42 pm

The only thing I'd change about scoring in this league is to have individual player kick return TDs count as 6 points for that player. All the other leagues I play in have this scoring play.

Sproles, DeShaun, Hester, Dez, Percy, and more... If I'm starting that guy and he breaks a return, hits his stride in the second level and turns on the jets, it's a thrill to watch but it means absolutely nothing in this league. The least it should mean is 6.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:29 am

Personally I like the way it is as you already get credit for that TD under defensive scoring.

Wayne

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:34 am

I'm not sure why there would be an objection to this change.

The "double scoring" argument rings hollow with me. There are tons of examples in the current scoring system where a single scoring play results in double scoring. It's like saying a kicker shouldn't get credit for an extra point because the Defense is already penalized under Points Allowed. Or that a QB shouldn't be awarded 6 points for a TD pass because the WR already got "credit" for the TD.

A special teams TD is an important part of the NFL, and individual NFL players are recognized by their peers as being especially good at it. It alters game plans, for instance teams will intentionally kick balls out of bounds to avoid dangerous return men.

In addition, drafting a player like Sproles or Hester takes on the added risk of these players being injured on a kick return, perhaps the highest risk play in all of football. So when drafting these players, you take on all the risk associated with their special skills and added value to their team, but get none of the reward.

I think it adds a nice dimension to the draft, and the high risk/reward potential of these players should be recognized and reflected in the scoring system.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:19 am

Originally posted by Mike Treff:
The only thing I'd change about scoring in this league is to have individual player kick return TDs count as 6 points for that player. All the other leagues I play in have this scoring play.

Sproles, DeShaun, Hester, Dez, Percy, and more... If I'm starting that guy and he breaks a return, hits his stride in the second level and turns on the jets, it's a thrill to watch but it means absolutely nothing in this league. The least it should mean is 6. This was part of our last NFFC survey that received over 300 responses. There was not a positive response to your suggestion and thus I don't see a reason to go against what our customers have told us. Here's the results again:

4. Would you like to see individual players receive special teams points for punt and kickoff TD returns, along with rewarding the team that produced the TD? In essence, scoring for two players.

Yes: 43.1%
No: 56.9%
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

bobsgym

Post by bobsgym » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:01 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:

The "double scoring" argument rings hollow with me. There are tons of examples in the current scoring system where a single scoring play results in double scoring. It's like saying a kicker shouldn't get credit for an extra point because the Defense is already penalized under Points Allowed. Or that a QB shouldn't be awarded 6 points for a TD pass because the WR already got "credit" for the TD.

A special teams TD is an important part of the NFL, and individual NFL players are recognized by their peers as being especially good at it. It alters game plans, for instance teams will intentionally kick balls out of bounds to avoid dangerous return men.

In addition, drafting a player like Sproles or Hester takes on the added risk of these players being injured on a kick return, perhaps the highest risk play in all of football. So when drafting these players, you take on all the risk associated with their special skills and added value to their team, but get none of the reward.

I think it adds a nice dimension to the draft, and the high risk/reward potential of these players should be recognized and reflected in the scoring system. If you add TD's you have to add yardage (.05/yd?) or a 40yd punt return TD = 6pts and a 102yd kickoff return stopped at the 1 = 0pts.

I'll take it either way.

BobSquad
Wayne Ellis's Waterboy

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:20 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
Personally I like the way it is as you already get credit for that TD under defensive scoring.

Wayne agree
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

eliasond

Post by eliasond » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:59 pm

I didn't like the wording of the survey question, in particular adding the last sentence:

"In essence, scoring for two players."

As soon as I read that, I suspected that it would push a few people toward a "No" response. I think the most impartial way to word the question would have been to leave that last sentence off.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
3-Time Las Vegas Auction League Champion (2004,2009,2015)
2-time Live Las Vegas Classic League Champion

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:48 am

Passing TD is two players, one passing, one catching. And your example of a kicker being awarded positive points and a DST negative for the same play doesn't fit either. ALL positive offensive plays chip away at DST's points.

Please cite another "double scoring" example where ONE NFL player's play rewards TWO fantasy players for the same feat???

[ February 13, 2012, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:19 am

I'm on board with leaving it as is. Personally I don't care for defense or kickers, so adding more points is not something I'm interested in.

Pete

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:

I think it adds a nice dimension to the draft, and the high risk/reward potential of these players should be recognized and reflected in the scoring system. I couldn't agree more. I was surprised that the majority wasn't in favor of this change. I know that I am frustrated when I see one of my players score on special teams only to know that someone else in my league may have received points for that play and I get absolutely nothing. This is the only format in which I play that doesn't reward those scores to the IP.

I would make the point that a 90 yard kick off return deserves 6 points for the individual player just as much as the QB who throws a screen pass five yards behind the line of scrimmage and the RB does all the work while taking it 60 yards to the house.

This is just a minor change and I really don't see the negative impact involved.
Go Big Red!