Week 3 stat changed 2 AM this morning?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:09 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by kln:
gordon. quit being an ass. the scores are correct now as they should be. does this affect you personally or you just want to keep stirring the **** as usual. i'm trying to figure out what happened!!!

Were the viewable scores (as viewed by the participants) changed after the Thursday deadline? Simple question.
[/QUOTE]I think you have this one figured out. STATS made all changes per our rules. Correct, the Elias changes were not showing for Week 3 before the programming change on Saturday afternoon by STATS. Any team affected by this via won-loss has been notified.

We have the official scoring from Elias' changes correct as they should be.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am

Originally posted by kln:
quote:Originally posted by 4D:
quote:Originally posted by kln:
gordon. quit being an ass. the scores are correct now as they should be. does this affect you personally or you just want to keep stirring the **** as usual. Are you saying that this issue doesn't affect every team in every league? [/QUOTE]no. im saying the scoring is correct as should be. do you want it changed to something that is not correct.
[/QUOTE]No, they should be correct, but not a week later. GG is actually asking a question that needed to be answered as it affects EVERY team in EVERY league. If this was discovered in week 8 and the coding error changed week 3 results would that be acceptable? Or if it happened in week 14 and it affected the playoffs?

Will Greg and Tom get it fixed? Yes, with some people left unhappy. But is this the best use of their time?
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:34 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
I think you have this one figured out. STATS made all changes per our rules. Correct, the Elias changes were not showing for Week 3 before the programming change on Saturday afternoon by STATS. Any team affected by this via won-loss has been notified.
WoW. Just when i think something is iron-clad..."Scores in the NFFC are finalized with no changes possible after 6 p.m. EST each Thursday after the weekend games."

I find out that "viewable scores" are different than "STATS scores". "Viewable scores" CAN change after the deadline.

Simply unbelievable.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:35 am

Originally posted by 4D:
If this was discovered in week 8 and the coding error changed week 3 results would that be acceptable? Or if it happened in week 14 and it affected the playoffs?
isn't that why we have a 6pm Thursday deadline? :confused:

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:49 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
If this was discovered in week 8 and the coding error changed week 3 results would that be acceptable? Or if it happened in week 14 and it affected the playoffs?
[/QUOTE]Well, are we talking viewable stats, or STATS stats?
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

kennorred

Post by kennorred » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:57 am

Originally posted by 4D:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
[/QUOTE]Well, are we talking viewable stats, or STATS stats?
[/QUOTE]this was not discovered week 8. in fact if you read the thread under scoring corrections it was discovered week 1. there was still an issue after week 3 that hopefully has been corrected now. the scores are correct as should be and hopefully the process will work like it should in the future. lets move on

danimal10

Post by danimal10 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:59 am

Gordon,

Respectfully, I understand what you are saying with respect to your understanding of the rules but it seems to me the fact is that the STATS were updated prior to the 6pm deadline but for whatever technical reason the change did not hit the NFFC website until later.

I do agree that this situation potentially opens the door to future scenarios where something similar happens in a past week that could affect a future week, but as I said before I don't think it's fair for a team to lose or win on a technicality.

The fact remains that the stat did actually occur and that per the rules the stat change was recorded by the official statician (STATS) prior to the deadline. I will let someone smarter than me choose to debate the point of whether the stat is "official" when STATS makes it official or when it shows up on the NFFC/NBC website, but my own opinion is that if it became an OFFICIAL stat prior to the deadline then it's an official stat, regardless of when it hit NFFC/NBC.

The glitch occured in transferring that data from STATS website to NFFC/NBC website as I understand it.

As I mentioned, our team benefits positively from this proper correction and I am sure my comments will be taken with a grain of salt and/or bias due to that fact.

For that matter, we could also choose to make the same argument Butter has that our squad operated and managed differently heading into week 4 believing we were 1-2 and not 2-1, but in my own opinion I believe that to be a weak argument and can state that it's simply our goal to do the best we can and make the roster moves that help us score the most points each week, regardless of record.

This early, the focus absolutely has to be on scoring as many points each week and letting the records sort themselves out, IMO.

But I can also state unequivocally that in the interests of fair play and integrity I certainly would not expect to be credited with a victory our team did not earn and that in matter of fact did not occur, simply because of a computer coding error.

But I absolutely would expect to be credited with a victory that was fairly earned by virtue of the play on the field.

I do hope and trust that as a matter of customer service and quality assurance on the part of the NFFC/NBC that additional measures are put into play to verify and ensure that the stat recording process is 100% accurate for every team and every owner in every league going forward, and I believe Greg has already stated that this would be the case.

Again, just my 2 cents on a subject that clearly has alot of discussion points.

D

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:00 am

Originally posted by kln:
lets move on feel free

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:08 am

“No changes” MUST mean “No changes”. STATS F’d up and they are leaving this event twisting in the wind (just like they did to the NFBC this week).

I’m someone who looks to the “Rules” when questions arise. When the Rules appear to be broken (or bent), that causes me heartburn. It’s wrong and it sets precedent.

If participants can’t rely on the only data available to them at the 6pm Thursday deadline, why even have a deadline? Seriously.

danimal10

Post by danimal10 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:28 am

As I said before, I agree STATS/NFFC/NBC owes it to all participants from a quality assurance and customer service perspective to make this situation right in the eyes of affected owners.

I disagree that teams who rightfully won should be penalized because of a data transfer error from one website to another and am glad that is not occurring. In my mind that would not be "making it right".

I believe your frustration and heartburn likely comes from the fact that the rules could be construed as somewhat ambiguious (poor spelling on my part) as to whether the rules define that the change must hit the NFFC/NBC website (which it did not) prior to the deadline or simply be recorded by the official statician by the deadline (which it did).

I disagree that the NFFC/NBC websites are the "only data available to them". Certainly they are the most convenient and likely first and only place most look but not the only source for this data. I also admit that I was not aware of the scoring change until it hit the NFFC/NBC website but after seeing the post in the other thread it's apparent that others were aware of it prior to it hitting the NFFC/NBC sites and had I done my own due dilligence I could have discovered the info prior to it hitting the NFFC/NBC website.

I trust and hope for everyone's benefit that this issue is now resolved and does not come up again going forward.

D