Idea's to improve the NFFC experience - for little expense.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sun May 16, 2010 7:43 am

Originally posted by THE_BLACKHAND:
i got an idea. you can put the home address down also so if they quit during the year and screw you for 5k you can pay them a visit. :D :D :D Frank, rotflmao!
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

philpo

Post by philpo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:02 am

Originally posted by kingraiders:
Good thread Mike & some good ideas. I think it'd be nice to be able to get a copy of the drafts when we leave without having to write it all down. It should be pretty easy to have someone load & print out copies at the draft, I'd imagine.

I remember someone filming the draft for our league. If that's the case, how about each owner gets a dvd of the live draft? How about taking pictures of each draft board in all the cities and then posting them to the NFFC website it would be quicker than waiting for all the rosters to be loaded, I took a picture last year of my draft board with my cell phone camera and e-mailed it to my address it came out great.

RoadKing

Post by RoadKing » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:32 pm

How about no expense and a little profit?

Since the NFFC is known as the 14 team contest
offer a 14 team online championship ($350).
It's hard for me to believe that with all of the great additions to the format that you left behind the players that helped start this competition.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:02 am

Originally posted by RoadKing:

It's hard for me to believe that with all of the great additions to the format that you left behind the players that helped start this competition. That certainly wasn't our intention nor do I believe that's what we've done. That said, we've found the 12-team format is more popular within the fantasy community. That certainly was proven last year when we had more than 500 teams participating in the Online Championship. Is it possible we'll create a 14-team format in the future? Absolutely. We can look into that.

But we have been working to expand our offerings in unique ways and we think we've done that with the national Auction and Draft Champions Championships, for example. But if the interest is there for us to create a 14-team online event at the $350 price point we can certainly explore that going forward. We're not trying to leave anyone behind. Trust me.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

renman

Post by renman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:28 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
quote:Originally posted by kingraiders:
Good thread Mike & some good ideas. I think it'd be nice to be able to get a copy of the drafts when we leave without having to write it all down. It should be pretty easy to have someone load & print out copies at the draft, I'd imagine. Unfortunately it's not and that ties into something I've envisioned us doing since we started doing live events but continues to be financially implausible. My hope for the NFFC and NFBC is that some day we will have laptops at each draft table with projected screens showing all of the picks as opposed to having the big and small draft boards with stickers.

Not only would this be aesthetically a huge improvement but it would enable us to load the rosters immediately for everyone. So as soon as the draft was over you could log into your team page and see your teams. How cool would that be?

Unfortunately, the costs involved with all of this continue to make this a dream and not a reality. I think we might be getting closer but we're not there yet. So being able to load and print out draft results and having results on team pages immediately isn't something we'd be able to do. But trust me, it's something we have discussed and it is something we want to do if we can at some point.
[/QUOTE]This is a really interesting post and cool idea. We have all seen movies that try to portray what things will be like in 20-50 years. I have at times wondered what the NFFC will look, feel and play like in the future. This kind of scene always comes to mind.

We have all seen people complain about how at the live draft, the ability to hear players being shouted out at the next table can be frustrating. When you are sitting there in the 6th round desperately hoping a certain WR is going to fall 3 more spots to you and then you hear his name called out 30 feet away.. only to have it be called out 10 seconds later right before your pick frustrates everyone. Though I understand there is no way around it right now.

Maybe someday this will change that.

We have a number of expert level, intelligent, experienced fantasy football minds here. This could be a good thread to talk about creative rule ideas in a casual fun way and maybe something interesting pops up.

-I know we discuss the "what to do with teams who quit" issue every year. Come week 10 it always ends up being a heated debate and a definate negative that can turn people off to this event. I still believe that we are smart enough, and have the kind of technology required, to put a major dent in this problem.

RoadKing

Post by RoadKing » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:52 am

TK, I believe that you are not wanting to leave anyone behind. I just think that it is strange that you launch a very successful 14 team concept and do not follow through with an online 14 team championship like the 12 team offering to complement your growth. If the 14 team Classic is successful why would you doubt the success of a 14 team online event? Let's hope that the competition does not believe in it before you believe in it. I know for sure that one group has considered it but it was too late too implement this year.
I am surprised as the 14 team leader that you at least did not try it.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:57 am

It's not a question of doubting the 14-team format. The Classic has proven people like to play in the challenging format that it provides. However, we do think that within the fantasy industry, the 12-team format is more popular or at least more familiar and therefore we believe that going with the 12-team format for the Online Championship was the best way to generate a successful event with room for future growth. I think the fact we budgeted for 300 teams last year and ended up with more than 500 strongly shows that we were correct with that thinking. Again, I think it comes down to what more fantasy players are familiar and comfortable with. Put that together with the $350 price point and that was a successful venture for us and one we believe will continue to be successful going forward.

Does this preclude us from offering a 14-team format in the future? Not at all. But I think we have to be smart in terms of what we are offering with our future expanding. Certainly, if we get strong indications that a 14-team Online Championship would generate a strong number of participants we'll definitely explore it. So we haven't closed the door on anything.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

RoadKing

Post by RoadKing » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:09 am

C'mon Tom, take a chance, Liberty is looking for innovative aggressive forward thinkers. We know what works now.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:13 am

I don't think you'll see it this year RoadKing. We have enough aggressive ideas in store for 2010, trust me. But we'll see what the future holds. Again, if we start hearing a lot of response for a 14-team version of the Online Championship you know we'll listen. We're always listening.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

RoadKing

Post by RoadKing » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:30 am

Would have been a great price point and opportunity for those that love the 14 team format to play this year if the Classic price tag was out of reach in this economy.