Early Season NFFC Draft Results

chriseibl

Re: Early Season NFFC Draft Results

Post by chriseibl » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:45 pm

I think Newton and Stafford last to the end of the 2nd round in the standard drafts. My guess is those guys end up late 2nd/early 3rd in a non-DC format. It wouldn't surprise me if Brees was slipping to the end of the 2nd in the main event drafts.

Chi_Town_FEW

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:53 pm

chriseibl wrote:I think Newton and Stafford last to the end of the 2nd round in the standard drafts. My guess is those guys end up late 2nd/early 3rd in a non-DC format. It wouldn't surprise me if Brees was slipping to the end of the 2nd in the main event drafts.
Sounds about right. Looking at my Classic from last year, 5 QBs first 3 rounds, now maybe 6-7. Combination of QBs scoring more points and RBs in committees scoring way less. Even Romo as the 8th ranked QB last year was still worth 60+ points more than the #1 RB.

P.S. That was the Classic at .5 PPR rbs, only 25-30 points more for 8th qb vs #1 rb.

DonnyG.

Post by DonnyG. » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:35 pm

So basically even if I pick 1-3 i'm still not guaranteed one of those top 5 qb's in the first two rounds? Boy that's brutal. I guess a good case can then be made for picking in the middle to late draft positions to get one of the top 5 qb studs. Like i said i want one this year so it makes sense to pick in the middle to late rounds to insure i get one. If you don't want to draft one of the top 5 stud qb's either in rd 1 or 2 and would rather have one later then maybe it makes sense to get a earlier draft slot no?

Chi_Town_FEW

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Picking in the 1-3 slot I would look at taking a QB with the 4th round pick. You can have your pick of Romo, Ryan, Rivers, those tier kind of guys. There is 22+ picks between your 4th and 5th round pick. Watch the ADP between 42 and 62 and see who is left and if you want to wait.
I am thinking 14 team here, in a 12 team guys might slide a little more. But not much.

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:27 pm

I am in a DC drafting now. 4 of the first 7 picks were QB's. Team 8 was handed a gift (Calvin). The team that drafted Stafford in round 1 took Eli in round 3.... Oh my...

In another draft I am almost done with I took Rogers in round 1 with pick 3. Sitting there for me had I waited with pick 2.12 was Cam Newton. He ended up going 3rd pick in round 3 as the 5th QB drafted.

I guess every draft is different.

Pete

DonnyG.

Post by DonnyG. » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:26 pm

I just find this topic interesting because every year there is a debate about where qb's should go. After last year it was established that owning a safe consistent qb really helped your team alot especially after the first tier drop off. the ppg was huge between tiers. This has been the trend in ff as i see it now for a few years but last year really hit the point home. I really think this trend will continue and feel if i can't get rodgers, brady, brees, cam or stafford then i will probably wait really late because i don't see much of a difference between qb5 (vick) all the way qb 12 (big ben). I'm just trying to understand the thinking but of course every draft and flow is so different i guess you just never know.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:25 am

This is a good discussion on the value of QBs in the NFFC and all of fantasy football this year. I've written about the QBs in our upcoming NFFC co-branded magazine and tomorrow I'll take a closer look at this position in a thread I'll start on the NFFC boards. Unlike other positions, few QBs just emerge out of nowhere to win a starting job and help your fantasy team. Yes, I know that Cam Newton had an ADP of 210 last year and finished fifth among all QBs in points scored and that Andy Dalton had an ADP of 278 and emerged to finish 16th among all QBs in points scored. But again, they are the exception, as was Tebow last year, and even then it's tough for them to really produce like the big stars do. It can happen with RBs though, WRs and even TEs.

It's not hard to identify the top QBs for 2012. Figuring out when to pick them is the hardest part of all. Where is the value at this position without compromising value at the other positions? Where can you score the most points at this position while also scoring the most points at the other positions? What does your team look like if you pick a QB in the first round? I want to look at all of that and start a discussion on those points after doing a little more research. Could be a fun discussion.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:32 pm

Jersey Dawg wrote:I am in a DC drafting now. 4 of the first 7 picks were QB's. Team 8 was handed a gift (Calvin). The team that drafted Stafford in round 1 took Eli in round 3.... Oh my...

In another draft I am almost done with I took Rogers in round 1 with pick 3. Sitting there for me had I waited with pick 2.12 was Cam Newton. He ended up going 3rd pick in round 3 as the 5th QB drafted.

I guess every draft is different.

Pete
Pete, I'm in that same draft and also couldn't believe Megatron fell to #8. I believe that's the lowest I've seen him. I wanted one of the top five QB's so I took Cam in the early second because I was certain that I wouldn't be as fortunate to see him sitting there in the 3rd. I was shocked when I saw Eli go to the same guy that had Stafford, especially since he was yet to draft a RB. Everyone has a different strategy, I just haven't seen that approach yet.
Go Big Red!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:29 pm

Okay, let's look at that draft that everyone is talking about where Megatron went 8th overall. Here it is:

NFFC Draft Champions League
Round 1:
1 1 Arian Foster RB
1 2 Aaron Rodgers QB
1 3 LeSean McCoy RB
1 4 Ray Rice RB
1 5 Tom Brady QB
1 6 Drew Brees QB
1 7 Matthew Stafford QB
1 8 Calvin Johnson WR
1 9 Ryan Mathews RB
1 10 Jimmy Graham TE
1 11 Chris Johnson RB
1 12 Maurice Jones-Drew RB
1 13 Rob Gronkowski TE
1 14 Larry Fitzgerald WR

Round 2:
2 1 Wes Welker WR
2 2 Matt Forte RB
2 3 Cam Newton QB
2 4 Darren McFadden RB
2 5 Brandon Marshall WR
2 6 A.J. Green WR
2 7 DeMarco Murray RB
2 8 Greg Jennings WR
2 9 Roddy White WR
2 10 Andre Johnson WR
2 11 Darren Sproles RB
2 12 Trent Richardson RB
2 13 Jordy Nelson WR
2 14 Jamaal Charles RB

Round 3:
3 1 Marshawn Lynch RB
3 2 Victor Cruz WR
3 3 Adrian Peterson RB
3 4 Dez Bryant WR
3 5 Julio Jones WR
3 6 Michael Vick QB
3 7 Hakeem Nicks WR
3 8 Eli Manning QB
3 9 Marques Colston WR
3 10 Percy Harvin WR
3 11 Dwayne Bowe WR
3 12 Steve Smith WR
3 13 Jeremy Maclin WR
3 14 Mike Wallace WR

Round 4:
4 1 Miles Austin WR
4 2 Antonio Brown WR
4 3 Vincent Jackson WR
4 4 Demaryius Thomas WR
4 5 Steven Jackson RB
4 6 Ahmad Bradshaw RB
4 7 Brandon Lloyd WR
4 8 Tony Romo QB
4 9 Fred Jackson RB
4 10 Philip Rivers QB
4 11 DeSean Jackson WR
4 12 Kenny Britt WR
4 13 Matt Ryan QB
4 14 Peyton Manning QB

Round 5:
5 1 Stevie Johnson WR
5 2 Reggie Bush RB
5 3 Torrey Smith WR
5 4 Aaron Hernandez TE
5 5 Doug Martin RB
5 6 Michael Turner RB
5 7 Antonio Gates TE
5 8 Jermichael Finley TE
5 9 Jason Witten TE
5 10 Shonn Greene RB
5 11 Vernon Davis TE
5 12 Fred Davis TE
5 13 Roy Helu RB
5 14 Robert Griffin III QB

Round 6:
6 1 Eric Decker WR
6 2 BenJarvus Green-Ellis RB
6 3 Ben Roethlisberger QB
6 4 Santonio Holmes WR
6 5 Frank Gore RB
6 6 James Starks RB
6 7 Peyton Hillis RB
6 8 Jahvid Best RB
6 9 Robert Meachem WR
6 10 Pierre Garcon WR
6 11 C.J. Spiller RB
6 12 Stevan Ridley RB
6 13 Reggie Wayne WR
6 14 Tony Gonzalez TE

Thoughts?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

DonnyG.

Post by DonnyG. » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:20 pm

Now that's what i'm talking about. Oh to sit at number 12 and have mjd and cam come to me in the first 12 rounds. Can't ask for a better start from my view. But why in good god's name would that owner draft eli there after taking his qb in the 1st round? Now that makes no sense to me whatsoever. Personally i don't care what kind of draft it is, TWO qb's in the first 3 rounds? Does anybody really think he'll finish anywhere besides last?