When to take Mathews and Richardson now?

shark

Re: When to take Mathews and Richardson now?

Post by shark » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:22 am

This draft was the oddest draft I've seen so far this year. With all the uncertainty at RB right now you would think the ELITE QB'S would fly off the board. Not so! You can throw ADP out the window :?
Brees 21st overall, Stafford 22nd overall, Newton 35th overall, Vick 6th rd, Rivers 8th rd.
Great value at QB!

Also the TE's Graham & Gronk went 6th & 10th overall respectively.

Interesting stuff!

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:40 am

When to take Mathews and Richardson now?

How about NEVER. Pick someone else! Unless you like gambling on injuries.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:14 am

Last night's draft may have seemed different compared to previous 12-team drafts because Brees and Stafford fell to the late second round, but some folks have been saying for weeks that the QBs could start to fall as we get closer to the live drafts. Not everyone likes to start their drafts with QBs. Brady and Rodgers still went in the Top 7, but that back of the draft is getting tougher with the losses of Mathews and Richardson. Owners may begin looking for other top RBs or WRs to start their teams now rather than a QB.

I'm not saying it's a trend, but we all know this is one of the craziest seasons in fantasy football and every day gets crazier thanks to the injuries. It will be fun to see how all of these leagues play out over the next four weeks, but don't be surprised if some of these QBs fall in some of these leagues. Not everyone is in agreement that grabbing a QB or TE in the first round is the way to go.

It should only get more interesting with each passing draft. Good luck everyone and jump on into an Online Championship League when you have the time. You never know how they are going to go and with $100,000 on the line that could be a good thing. ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:17 am

shark wrote:This draft was the oddest draft I've seen so far this year. With all the uncertainty at RB right now you would think the ELITE QB'S would fly off the board. Not so! You can throw ADP out the window :?
Brees 21st overall, Stafford 22nd overall, Newton 35th overall, Vick 6th rd, Rivers 8th rd.
Great value at QB!
Holy crap! :shock: How do I get in a league like this for my next one?! :roll:

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:42 am

I think the proven elite options are becoming more valuable now. That's why Brady and Brees have risen up my draft board. I don't want to make a major gamble in the first round and let's face it everyone not named Foster, Rice, McCoy, Rodgers, Brady, Brees and Calvin Johnson is a major gamble of some kind. I'd include Jimmy Graham with the group too which is why he's becoming a very safe first-round pick.

For me, nothing represents this year's insanity at RB more than Chris Johnson now being RB4 on a lot of boards, including my own. I am a HUGE Chris Johnson fan and always have been and I think he's going to bounce back (hence my ranking) but it's not like he can be ranked this highly without some trepidation given how awful he was last season. But that's the deal at RB after the first three are off the board. Believe in Player A, B or C all you want, but it's 100% certain that those players have issues of some kind and possibly significant ones.

To answer the topic's question I'm not touching Mathews or Richardson before the third round and ideally not before the fourth. I simply do not trust Mathews at all right now despite his high-end talent and I'm concerned the Browns will take it easy on Richardson early in the season which would be smart given his long-term value to the team. Both clearly have Top 10 upside in my opinion if they can stay healthy so they're both worthy gambles but not ones I'm comfortable making in the first two and ideally three rounds.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

DonnyG.

Post by DonnyG. » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:24 pm

I was thinking that with each passing day it's going to become clearer that AP and Jamaal are going to be more than ready to play this year. Just another two factors to simplify or complicate the rb situation for this year's drafts, no? 8-) ;)

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:54 pm

DonnyG. wrote:I was thinking that with each passing day it's going to become clearer that AP and Jamaal are going to be more than ready to play this year. Just another two factors to simplify or complicate the rb situation for this year's drafts, no? 8-) ;)
Absolutely. Peterson's ADP has been dropping a bit in our drafts which surprises me since nothing negative has been reported about his situation since camp began. Charles played last night and looked all right. They continue to be two of the highest-risk/reward picks in the early rounds.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:54 pm

Sandman62 wrote:
shark wrote:This draft was the oddest draft I've seen so far this year. With all the uncertainty at RB right now you would think the ELITE QB'S would fly off the board. Not so! You can throw ADP out the window :?
Great value at QB!
Holy crap! :shock: How do I get in a league like this for my next one?! :roll:
I was in this draft. Yes, it was "crazy" the way the QB's fell. I coupled McCoy with Stafford from position 3 and team 4 landed Calvin and Brees. The thing is, all the QB fell. Yet, nobody drafted anyone out of the ordinary in any of the early rounds. The RB's and WR that go early to mid second round moved up to the end of the first. WR that have ADP's of mid to late 2nd round also moved up. By the end of round 2 I can't remember anyone drafted "too early", it's just the QB that fell. I do think there will be more leagues like this as we move closer to the drafts and several for sure in the higher stakes leagues where more than one person will go into a draft thinking they want to load up on as many studs as possible and can "live with" a Manning, Ryan, Romo or Rivers or could settle for Big Ben or Cutler even later. If everyone goes into the draft thinking like that the high end QB's will fall into round 2.

Fun draft for sure.

Pete

Erok

Post by Erok » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:26 am

I dont want either of them......unless of course the price is right.lol

I also wouldnt be surprised for Matthews to miss the first 4-6 games of regular season.