Week 1 Thoughts & Observations

Tom Kessenich

Re: Week 1 Thoughts & Observations

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:22 am

BigBlueNation wrote:Aren't Smith and Cutler comparable?
Not in my opinion. I think Cutler is an elite talent. There isn't any throw he can't make and he has a canon for an arm. I don't think Smith comes close to having that ability.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:27 am

Tom Kessenich wrote:
Not in my opinion. I think Cutler is an elite talent. There isn't any throw he can't make and he has a canon for an arm. I don't think Smith comes close to having that ability.
Just for discussion purposes, if Cutler is that good, Chicago has a good running game, a good D, they added an elite WR, and drafted an elite prospect, why isn't Cutler a top 5 QB in the NFL or Fantasy?
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:33 am

BigBlueNation wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:
Just for discussion purposes, if Cutler is that good, Chicago has a good running game, a good D, they added an elite WR, and drafted an elite prospect, why isn't Cutler a top 5 QB in the NFL or Fantasy?
First off, there are three QBs I think are clearly better - Brady, Rodgers and Brees. Peyton has clearly been better too in Indy and may end up being better again this season. So that's four QBs right there making it tough on Cutler. Then you have Stafford, Cam, Vick, Romo and Eli and maybe RG3 who all offer a lot of fantasy upside so it gets crowded after the Top 3-4.

But in terms of talent, Cutler doesn't take a back seat to anyone. His biggest issues in my opinion have been decision making and (before this season) the lack of legitimate talent at WR in Chicago. But with Marshall now in town I think the Bears are a legitimate Super Bowl contender this season if everyone stays healthy.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:37 am

[/quote]

But with Marshall now in town I think the Bears are a legitimate Super Bowl contender this season if everyone stays healthy.[/quote]

we do agree on one thing.... :D ...how about a Bears/Bronco SB?
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:But I'm still leery of picking him to come out ahead in a matchup against a team with a good offense and good defense.
Tom, who is that team or teams that are going to beat SF? There's not many teams with both good Offenses & Defenses.

NFC
New York Giants? Super Bowl hangover, terribly thin secondary.
New Orleans? Not with this bountygate stuff lingering and causing their defensive stars to start out behind the 8-ball.
Detroit? Nope
Chicago? Eh, don't think they can win in SF in the playoffs, and they won't be hosting a game between the two of them.
Philadelphia? The Niners defense would kill Vick
Green Bay? Just saw that one and now SF has a huge tie breaker for Home Field.

The two best challengers (maybe 3) are probably the AFC studs of New England, Baltimore and Houston. NE's defense is way better than people are giving them credit for (they give up a shit ton of passing, because they are always winning -- when you are winning, teams have to throw a lot in the 2nd half; just because you give up yards doesn't mean you are a sub-standard defense). Baltimore looked tough on Monday Night, but the Bengals may be somewhat of a fraud, not sure Baltimore has enough defensively with Ray another year older and no Suggs for a while. Houston might be the most balanced team in football and could turn it on even more defensively if the team gels in it's 2nd year under Wade Phillips.

My prediction was NE over SF in the Super Bowl, gonna stick with that one for a while it looks like.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:39 pm

CALI CARTEL wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:But I'm still leery of picking him to come out ahead in a matchup against a team with a good offense and good defense.
Tom, who is that team or teams that are going to beat SF?
That's a good question. Keep in mind I did say the 49ers could win the Super Bowl this season. We need to let the season play out for awhile to see if any teams emerge with that type of team balance. It's far too soon to make any definitive proclamations, especially when you consider the last two Super Bowl champs entered the playoffs as wild cards.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

TR

Post by TR » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:00 pm

BigBlueNation wrote:I compare Alex Smith to Roethlisberger...Game managers...Smith hasn't had any consistency with the coaching, OC's and WR's in his tenure at SF. His best receiver has been VDavis and he went thru some knucklehead situations as a pro. Harbaugh will and has made Smith a better QB. He has put stability in the organization. BTW, game managers can win SB's.
I didn't know game managers threw over 4000 yards and 30 + TDs in a season, or been among league leaders in comeback wins since 2004, or been in THREE SBs :lol: :lol:

TR

Post by TR » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:03 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
CALI CARTEL wrote:
Tom, who is that team or teams that are going to beat SF?
That's a good question. Keep in mind I did say the 49ers could win the Super Bowl this season. We need to let the season play out for awhile to see if any teams emerge with that type of team balance. It's far too soon to make any definitive proclamations, especially when you consider the last two Super Bowl champs entered the playoffs as wild cards.
Alex Smith will be reason SF doesn't win a SB, what will happen when 49ers are down late in a big game and need Alex Smith to lead them down the field..good luck with that!

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:08 pm

I think the discussion is crossing over into fantasy FB vs. real FB. Those are two very different things. You can be an effecitve QB for your team without being a stud FFB talent. I wouldn't trust a guy like Cam Newton anymore in a big game against a good D than I would Alex Smith. Would Cam put up better FFB numbers most of the time, absolutely.

Alex Smith is never going to be elite on either front but he's in the right system to be successful. The guy is just now having some stability in the offensive system that he runs and the weapons in which he has. Very few QB's are successful in "real" FB or FFB without having weapons. He's had some nice games and played big over the past year and if he can continue, should be given just a bit more credit than he normally gets.

With that being said, I don't have him ranked as anything other than a QB2.
Go Big Red!

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:10 pm

Alex Smith will be reason SF doesn't win a SB, what will happen when 49ers are down late in a big game and need Alex Smith to lead them down the field..good luck with that![/quote]

I'm pretty sure he just did this last year in the play-offs against the Saints...twice.
Go Big Red!