Wednesday/Friday Waivers

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Wednesday/Friday Waivers

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:44 am

Thanks Glenn. Yes, we did give NFFC owners SIX OPTIONS to choose from in our off-season survey and the second option on the list was this one:

"Two FAAB Periods: Wednesday night for just the players on both Thursday Night teams; then a full Friday night FAAB for players on the remaining 30 teams. no cut players from Wednesday can re-enter the free agent pool on Friday."

It was the third most liked choice from our customers behind:
Two Full FAAB Periods: 36.2% as top choice
Wednesday Only Full FAAB: 18.8% as top choice
Wednesday Only for Thursday Teams; Full Friday FAAB: 18.3% as top choice

That being said, the Wednesday-only FAAB for just the Thursday teams was the second most desired choice in the survey behind what we went with. 25.4% said that was their second most favored choice. Maybe a similar survey with the six options at season's end would produce different results.

Yes, we always listen to your feedback, suggestions and ideas Glenn. We then act to make the game better. I just wish the requests were in the same vein to make our game and all games better rather than "I'm leaving your game" if we don't even consider changes. We always consider changes to make the games better for our players and as you said we let you give us feedback rather than dictate to you the two options you have. So let's make it better if it's not already working as well as it can be. Heck, some folks said they liked the two FAAB periods. Maybe the setup isn't broken, but we'll ask at season's end.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:51 am

Coltsfan wrote:Greg,

I think you should take it as a compliment that I posted it here. But if you would rather I post this elsewhere in the future then I would be glad to do so.

I did post last year that i was cutting my leagues back. It wasn't a threat - I was just trying to be forthright with you. Waiver wire work has always been my least favorite part of fantasy football and that hasn't changed. It's just much worst this year. I"m always open to doing more draft expert leagues! :D

I felt this was a worthwhile discussion since we now have a few weeks behind us. Maybe it's not. But none of this is intended as a slam against the NFFC or the rules here. It applies everywhere. I just thought this might be the best forum for a discussion.

Wayne
I appreciate that you think this is a good forum for discussion on this topic Wayne and as you can see it is a good discussion for our members. It is bringing out suggestions to improve the system. Again, we gave six scenarios to make this the best possible setup going forward and let you folks lead us in the right direction. We went with what we felt was the best choice and the most desired choice by our customers and now we're all learning that early FAAB for every team can still be tough.

Again, we'll gladly consider an option that improves our game if that's what the masses want. Hey, we all know that FAAB is tough and so no matter what rules we have in place some folks will always do fewer in-season management teams. But rallying the folks around that idea doesn't help our business, that's for sure. So let's find a solution to get you back to where you are enjoying more in-season management teams and if at the end of the day you still would rather do DCs then that's fine. But we want all of our folks to enjoy in-season management teams more than they are now if the current FAAB is a problem.

We can program it differently for next season if needed. I'm all for the discussion on that subject here and I'm sure other contests will follow if we do what you folks want and the masses ask for it. That's what always happens. But let's definitely turn the focus into "let's make the game better" and find the ideal FAAB solution for 2013 and beyond. That's what I want to do.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:08 am

Greg, how about letting it run it's course through the bye weeks, then send out the questionnaire again to participants in managed leagues. I'm sure some owners have a different viewpoint now, than they did a few months ago. If there are any other options discussed in this forum, they could be added to the questionnaire.
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:44 am

BigBlueNation wrote:Greg, how about letting it run it's course through the bye weeks, then send out the questionnaire again to participants in managed leagues. I'm sure some owners have a different viewpoint now, than they did a few months ago. If there are any other options discussed in this forum, they could be added to the questionnaire.
Without a doubt that's what we'll do Bill. We want everyone's input and we''ll have other questions to ask as well. The surveys help us and we had 360+ respondents to the last one, so the response was good and it helped us form this setup. It's not like we forced this FAAB setup on anyone. Last year's survey was pretty clear.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:06 am

King of Queens wrote:
BillyWaz wrote:
1) The bidding system is really flawed in the fact that you can't just eliminate your top bid and not eliminate your backups bids. What I find happening is that (for example....and using obvious players) I put in a bid on Drew Brees and backup bids on Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers on Monday night during the game. Well on Wednesday, I see that Robert Griffin is now available and I would rather have him than Drew Brees. Well in order to keep the same sequence with RGIII as my top bid, I have to delete EVERYTHING and start over again. While that might not sound like a big deal, it can be extremely time consuming.
Not that hard, Billy. Use the "Edit Add" feature to replace Brees with RGIII. Then add Brees as a Conditional Bid and move him up between RGIII and Brady.
Ah got it.....never even realized that. Definitely will help with time...thanks!

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:10 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote: I just wish the requests were in the same vein to make our game and all games better rather than "I'm leaving your game" if we don't even consider changes.
Greg,

Not sure if this was directed towards me, but if it was, you clearly didn't understand my post. I have no intention of leaving the NFFC no matter what the FAAB system looks like. I was talking about the "average Joe" who plays. I know the goal of all contests is to build your contest, and to try and do it with "new blood".

Don't take things personally Greg. You know there are things that you do much better than other contests, and there are things that they do much better than you. In the end, you are here to try and make things as good as they can possibly be.....that is what counts.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:17 am

Good read Glenn and you helped me find the thread I was looking for this morning. You also are on Page 1 voting for E. Again, hindsight is always 20-20 and maybe what we have is still favored by most participants, but we'll ask everyone at season's end and make a smart decision for 2013 NFFC. Our goal is to have Registration live very early next off-season, the rules in place, host venues in place and prizes in place very early this year to get things rolling faster than we did this year. And that would include knowing what FAAB is going to be in all NFFC events in 2013.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:22 am

BillyWaz wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote: I just wish the requests were in the same vein to make our game and all games better rather than "I'm leaving your game" if we don't even consider changes.
Greg,

Not sure if this was directed towards me, but if it was, you clearly didn't understand my post. I have no intention of leaving the NFFC no matter what the FAAB system looks like. I was talking about the "average Joe" who plays. I know the goal of all contests is to build your contest, and to try and do it with "new blood".

Don't take things personally Greg. You know there are things that you do much better than other contests, and there are things that they do much better than you. In the end, you are here to try and make things as good as they can possibly be.....that is what counts.
It wasn't directed at anyone Billy. I just don't see posts on any other message board about folks cutting their contests because of a certain rule or anything else when those contests have the same FAAB setup as us. Those type of posts always seem to land here. But as Glenn said, maybe it's because folks do know we'll listen to their requests and make changes if needed. Again, it's been a healthy discussion and what Paul Clein has proposed was on the ballot last year and maybe this year it will be the solution to keep everyone happy....well, as happy as NFFC folks can be during the season that is. ;)

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:26 am

Yeah sorry about that idea - sounded good in my head last night but I see the Nicks/Barden situation

Old School

Post by Old School » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:37 am

by Old School » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:37 pm

I actually posted on another board that I will cut back on non DE leagues next year due to the "free-agency frenzy".
I'm with Wayne pretty much on this. It's not a knock on any contest , it's just maintaining the enjoyment factor. Like Wayne, I don't enjoy the free agency process much and I enjoy it less now. I dont have the time and I generally suck at it. I like drafting.
Some really enjoy free agency. In those cases, they are probably in seventh heaven.

I hope that it reverts back to one free agency period next yr. It's not knock on any contest, but if you cannot manage many teams efficiently, you are harming your chances at success on any given team. rather concentrate on fewer teams and do a better job.

Or I might just do every DE league (close to truth) and have to compete against Wayne drafting next to me in every draft!