Wednesday/Friday Waivers

Jack_Bauer

Re: Wednesday/Friday Waivers

Post by Jack_Bauer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I get your point and appreciate how the NFFC is always flexible in considering the views of the players. I cannot comprehend a NFFC player setting their lineup Friday night or sat morning and then leaving it for kickoff. I would think the vast majority double and triple check lineups up to kickoff. Especially given the technology of today to adjust things on a tablet or even phone.

I guess I like the idea of a Saturday faab run as protection for the occasional goofy thing that can happen where a player gets arrested, or gets a freak injury walking in an icy parking lot or comes up with an illness on the weekend. Is it important? No, not really. Just was something I was curious about.

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:45 pm

I posted something similar to this last year when we had a Wednesday only FAAB because of a Thursday game. You could easily say this is my own fault for not having enough depth but with all the injuries its hard to have depth at every position.
My WR's are Ju. Jones, D. Bryant, Nicks, Britt, Douglas & Avery. All week I've been doing my best to keep up on the Britt & Nicks injury situations. Wednesday FAAB comes and I don't make a strong play for Hankerson, Stokley or 3 or 4 other WR's because everything I've read says Nicks will definitely play & Britt should be fine even though he hasn't practiced yet. He was expected to practice Thursday.
Thursday comes and Nicks practices, Britt does not. I figure if Britt can't go I plug in a RB as my flex and move on....
Today I get the bad news on Nicks AND Britt. So now I sit here with only 3 healthy wideouts as Avery is on a bye. Douglas is only on my roster for backup purposes he's not really start worthy unless Jones or White get injured.
So yes the easy answer is have 6-7 starting wideouts on my roster but that isn't very realistic. Now I'm stuck trying to find a starting WR that nobody wanted on their team INCLUDING ME!!!

I've read thousands of times that luck should be minimized as much as possible. The more information you have the more skill you can use in using the FAAB process to build the best team possible. Considering most teams don't have a true practice until Wednesday or Thursday it's getting more difficult to do anything but have an educated guess on who to pickup.

I sure hope enough people get screwed by this and change their minds and vote for a FAAB on Wednesday for only the Thursday game(s) and a full FAAB on Friday for the rest of the available free agents. I would also welcome a Midnight E.S.T. deadline for the west coasters. They are put at an unfair disadvantage in my opinion because of the 7 P.S.T. deadline.

Ok I'm done venting...have to go mine for gold in the free agent cesspool...
Just
Pat Sorge

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:27 pm

Just want to say I am happy we have waivers on Friday and not just Wednesday. Keading suddenly not able to kick hit the wires Friday as I was driving home from work. Without a Friday waiver I would have had no kicker in a couple of leagues. Maybe Saturday is not such a bad idea after all. He could have just as easily gotten hurt Friday evening.

ChiTwn

Post by ChiTwn » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:23 am

Jersey Dawg wrote:Just want to say I am happy we have waivers on Friday and not just Wednesday. Keading suddenly not able to kick hit the wires Friday as I was driving home from work. Without a Friday waiver I would have had no kicker in a couple of leagues. Maybe Saturday is not such a bad idea after all. He could have just as easily gotten hurt Friday evening.

Yup, I had to pick up a kicker due to Kaeding. I agree, I vote for Saturday waivers. Random things tend to happen on Saturday.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:44 am

Well, as long as the last waiver period of the week doesn't allow us to pickup players who were dropped during earlier periods that week, then why not run the last one on Sunday morning?

In a home league, our last waivers runs Fri. at 9pm. I got home early this Fri., so I did some reading around 4/4:30 and concluded I was all set. The Kaeding news wasn't announced until closer to 5:45 (Rotoworld), so now I have no kicker today.

If the purpose of the NFFC Fri. period was to allow for last-minute emergency pickups, then let's move it to the last minute please? (or at least Sun. morning) :idea: I guess an argument against that would be that some people can then forego having to pickup someone on Wed. (or Fri.) in the hopes that their injured player actually plays. But then, after two waiver periods have already run that week, won't the pool be pretty shallow? Is this an acceptable tradeoff?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:57 am

Sandman62 wrote:Well, as long as the last waiver period of the week doesn't allow us to pickup players who were dropped during earlier periods that week, then why not run the last one on Sunday morning?

In a home league, our last waivers runs Fri. at 9pm. I got home early this Fri., so I did some reading around 4/4:30 and concluded I was all set. The Kaeding news wasn't announced until closer to 5:45 (Rotoworld), so now I have no kicker today.

If the purpose of the NFFC Fri. period was to allow for last-minute emergency pickups, then let's move it to the last minute please? (or at least Sun. morning) :idea: I guess an argument against that would be that some people can then forego having to pickup someone on Wed. (or Fri.) in the hopes that their injured player actually plays. But then, after two waiver periods have already run that week, won't the pool be pretty shallow? Is this an acceptable tradeoff?
I'm guessing they wouldn't do this because Sunday is spent going to church, being with family, etc. Also Mike, I don't think you are considering our friends in PST, who may sleep in on the weekends and get up close to game time (jealous of that by the way! ;) ) And then, what if there was a problem with processing the bids? Like most everything else in life, doing things at the last minute can often lead to problems.

That being said, an afternoon deadline on a Saturday is something I voted for in the survey.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:07 am

But no one HAS to do any bids on Sunday after two earlier periods in the week. So it's not like the west-coasters would be missing out. Plus they could always put in on Sat. night.

But I'd vote for a Sat. afternoon or evening one too. Just something to avoid, as much as possible, the late-week scratch.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:58 am

Sandman62 wrote:But no one HAS to do any bids on Sunday after two earlier periods in the week. So it's not like the west-coasters would be missing out. Plus they could always put in on Sat. night.

But I'd vote for a Sat. afternoon or evening one too. Just something to avoid, as much as possible, the late-week scratch.
Understood Mike, but EVERYONE wants the last possible info before final bids, and this simply wouldn't be fair to west coasters if breaking news came out early Sunday morning right before the deadline and they were still asleep.

I think we both agree that Saturday would work best for a lot of reasons. ;)

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:00 am

BillyWaz wrote:
Sandman62 wrote:But no one HAS to do any bids on Sunday after two earlier periods in the week. So it's not like the west-coasters would be missing out. Plus they could always put in on Sat. night.

Understood Mike, but EVERYONE wants the last possible info before final bids, and this simply wouldn't be fair to west coasters if breaking news came out early Sunday morning right before the deadline and they were still asleep.

I may be a lone voice here.....but I'm OK with screwing over the west coasters. :mrgreen:
I mean it's not like they can't move back east to modern civilization. ;)

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:10 am

Glenneration X wrote:
BillyWaz wrote:

I may be a lone voice here.....but I'm OK with screwing over the west coasters. :mrgreen:
I mean it's not like they can't move back east to modern civilization. ;)
LMAO Glenn!! :lol: