biggest FA bust this year

chriseibl

Re: biggest FA bust this year

Post by chriseibl » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:50 pm

Though perhaps I'm being generous to Andre after I spent my free agency money last year on Ryan Torain and watched him manage an incredible 37 yards over his next 3 starts.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:09 pm

chriseibl wrote:Have to disagree. I only started Brown for the Panthers game in the one league I got him and he netted me 20 points more than the guy I would have started in his place. I'd rather have those 20 points than the money I spent though I suppose some might feel differently. When it all comes down to it I bet a lot of (not all) teams' big free agent pickup will have netted less than 20 net points for them over their replacement.

Happy with Andre Brown :).
I guess I'm one of those that feel differently.

20 fantasy points is peanuts. A couple of smart Defense/Kicker pickups will net you more than 20 points over what you might have had on your roster. Spending big on one pickup and being happy with 20 points isn't money well spent, unless maybe it made the difference between a win or a loss.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Shrink Attack wrote:
chriseibl wrote:Have to disagree. I only started Brown for the Panthers game in the one league I got him and he netted me 20 points more than the guy I would have started in his place. I'd rather have those 20 points than the money I spent though I suppose some might feel differently. When it all comes down to it I bet a lot of (not all) teams' big free agent pickup will have netted less than 20 net points for them over their replacement.

20 fantasy points is peanuts. A couple of smart Defense/Kicker pickups will net you more than 20 points over what you might have had on your roster. Spending big on one pickup and being happy with 20 points isn't money well spent, unless maybe it made the difference between a win or a loss.
I agree using free agency to shuffle defenses (moreso than kickers, which tend to be more luck based relative to defenses, it'd be real hard to net a 20 point advantage making kicker decisions unless you rode a luck streak) based on matchups can net more than 20 points pretty easily. However, I don't think you need to spend big money to do that since the top couple defenses on the free agency wire can normally be had for fairly cheap. Thus, I don't think spending 50-60% of your dollars on Andre Brown effects your ability to shuffle kickers/defenses based on matchups.

I struggle to think of another big name player in FA this year that I could have spent money on who would have netted a greater positive impact on my team to date. Sure, that doesn't mean players won't pop up who WILL outperform that 20 points... but we are already 5/13ths through the season so it's no sure bet.

And of course, a lot of it depends on depth. I consider the team I acquired Brown on to be a deep team and I don't expect there will be any free agents over the next 8 weeks who will be in a position where they could start. My tune might be different if I had the misfortune of having an injury riddled team where I absolutely need the depth.

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:31 pm

Ok, someone bring up a free agent pickup that made the difference of them winning or losing, for even just one week? I have one, Andre Brown. Who do you have? Plus we are through 5 weeks. How can you judge a free agent bust or bargain, at this point in the season?

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:04 am

I don't have most of these players, but they were acquired in my leagues and I can see how they could've helped someone win: Roberts, Hartline, Henderson, HMiller, Barden, Battle, Chandler.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:17 am

Shrink Attack wrote:

20 fantasy points is peanuts.
Only two RBs are averaging 20 or more points in the NFFC this season - Arian Foster and Ray Rice. That's it. If you get a 20-point performance in any week from a RB you've done extremely well. There simply isn't a lot of high-end production at the position this season so even if you only get one week of it from someone that could very well end up being money well spent.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:48 am

There's only one right answer as of now, and that's Ogletree. Guys spent $500-700 on him and you got nothing for him, since you didn't get his week 1 stats. Barely broken 100 yards in the last three games combined, with no touchdowns.

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:47 am

Coach JP wrote:There's only one right answer as of now, and that's Ogletree. Guys spent $500-700 on him and you got nothing for him, since you didn't get his week 1 stats. Barely broken 100 yards in the last three games combined, with no touchdowns.
I think many of us knew this was going to happen, but in reality, in week 2 main event drafts, he wasn't a free agent pickup, he was a drafted player. I spent $9 on him in the auction. ALthough he has done nothing since week 1, I did get his points for week 1 but I would have won without him. The writing was on the wall, that Ogletree was a one week wonder and with all of the wide receivers available in free agency, those who drafted him way too early in week 2, or picked him up in free agency after week 1, are definitely paying the price. As for the $9 I spent, I look at the other $9 receivers at the auction, and well.. ehh.. Some hit or miss guys, Robert Meachem or Lance Moore are two of the decent performers... Still, there were some that drafted Ogletree in the 7th round or earlier... Which seems like a stretch, but many had hoped he would turn into, at the very least, Laurent Robinson, but so far he has been a bust, if you weren't able to use his week 1 stats and even if you were. But, still... its a long season.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:49 am

Tom Kessenich wrote:
Shrink Attack wrote:

20 fantasy points is peanuts.
Only two RBs are averaging 20 or more points in the NFFC this season - Arian Foster and Ray Rice. That's it. If you get a 20-point performance in any week from a RB you've done extremely well. There simply isn't a lot of high-end production at the position this season so even if you only get one week of it from someone that could very well end up being money well spent.
let me understand this. :?: you are saying that teams that spent up tp 900 fa money got there money worth from brown for the one week even if they dont get anything else from him. if there team was and is that bad what does one week do for them. if there team is doing well then that money could have been spent in a better way. now if you know you can get a few more good weeks out of him then all is good. if not then BROWN = BUST
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:52 am

Frank, I'm saying that this game has become a week-to-week proposition, especially at RB this season with so few you can consistently depend on. So whatever you can do to get a win that week has value. If someone got one elite week out of Andre Brown, for example, and that is the difference between them making the playoffs or missing out then in my opinion clearly the money they spent on him was worth it even if that was the only productive week Brown had the entire season.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich